Book of Mormon Question

debi56

I anm reading the Book of Mormon and am enjoying it immensely. I have been a member all my life but grew up on bible stories. I forget that the BofM is scripture and so to me it is a wonderful history book, which it is. My problem is that we are told that if we adhere to the concepts in it we will draw closer to the Lord. So far I haven't found any concepts that makes the B of M any different than the Bible. I am really puzzled, am I looking for more than what is there?

I have read the B of M 2 other times but never before has it been so appealing to me. I have a hard time putting it down and can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would have a hard time reading it. I am about chapter 11 in Mosiah. I pray about reading it, but so far haven't read anything that would make it so profound.

Like I said, I love the book and am learning some wonderful history about our great country but am I missing the spiritual picture here?

I was born and raised Baptist. At one time I attended Bible College and was preparing to enter the ministry as a Baptist Preacher. Please take a moment to read my conversion story which I actually used as a Sacrament talk in April of this year. You can find the talk by going to "In The Lord's Due Time".

I have to admit that the first time that I read from the pages of the Book of Mormon I thought of it as nothing more than an interesting book with some interesting stories. Having been raised on the principles of the Bible, I felt that there was really no need for any additional Scriptures. After all, I was always taught that the Bible contains all that we ever need to know about God.

As I studied to enter the ministry, there was something inside of me that kept asking the question, "Is this all there is?" I began to wonder if it were not possible that there could be more than just what I had been taught in Bible College and in my years prior.

Well, to make a long story short, to date I have now read the Bible 6 times in its entirety (currently reading it for the 7th time) and I have read the Book of Mormon 7 times in its entirety (currently reading it for the 8th time). For me, each time that I read the Scriptures I learn things that I never realized before. Perhaps some of the reason for that is that I am older, have experienced more, and have gained more knowledge and wisdom about some things. That is the beauty of the Scriptures for me personally. They never grow old.

Through my reading and personal study I have gained a strong testimony that both the Bible and the Book of Mormon are the Word of God. The Book of Mormon does not take away from the Bible, but enhances our understanding of the Bible. Both the Bible and the Book of Mormon are indeed Scripture and both testify of the love that our Savior has for each one of us.

Edited by KeithLBrown
Corrections in text

I anm reading the Book of Mormon and am enjoying it immensely. I have been a member all my life but grew up on bible stories. I forget that the BofM is scripture and so to me it is a wonderful history book, which it is. My problem is that we are told that if we adhere to the concepts in it we will draw closer to the Lord. So far I haven't found any concepts that makes the B of M any different than the Bible. I am really puzzled, am I looking for more than what is there?

I have read the B of M 2 other times but never before has it been so appealing to me. I have a hard time putting it down and can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would have a hard time reading it. I am about chapter 11 in Mosiah. I pray about reading it, but so far haven't read anything that would make it so profound.

Like I said, I love the book and am learning some wonderful history about our great country but am I missing the spiritual picture here?

The Book of Mormon is a companion to the Bible. Both contain the concepts that draw us closer to God. The Book of Mormon is a testimony from a different people and thus provides another point of view about the Gospel. It is the Gospel that draws us nearer to God.

Mormon wrote it to testify that Jesus is the Messiah. Knowing that Jesus is the Messiah and what his mission is draws us closer to God.

You might be interested in Brant Gardner's concept of how and why Mormon wrote and included what he did into this great book of scripture.

Mormon's Editorial Method and Meta-Message

Larry P

A few resources / ideas for you:

CES Fireside 2007 - Bednar

The real power of the scriptures, for me, come from personalizing, or likening them, unto myself. I convert them over so that it is the Lord speaking to me, having a conversation with me, about the verse at hand. I do this by writing down the verse on paper (or electronically is easier for me) and then interjecting the most loving, kind thoughts I feel while pondering the verse.

Here is an example from a recent journal entry of mine:

Tuesday, 11 March, 2008

Dear Jesus,

Good morning

GOOD MORNING, TOM

LET'S CAPTURE FROM THE D&C

Hearken, O ye people of my church, [HEARKEN, TOM] saith the voice [MY VOICE THAT YOU FEEL INSIDE OF YOU, MY VOICE THAT YOU FEEL MORE THAN AUDIBLY HEAR] of him who dwells on high, [READ THIS AS MY INVITATION TO YOU TO JOIN ME, TO COME TO WHERE I AM!] and whose eyes are upon all men; [iN MY CAPACITY AS YOUR GOD I MONITOR ALL THAT ALL THAT YOU DO, SO THAT A MERCIFUL JUDGEMENT MAY BE WROUGHT UPON YOU AT THE LAST DAY] yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people [HEARKEN, TOM] from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together.

Why do you say "listen together," instead of just "listen"?

IT DENOTES MORE OF A GLOBAL LISTEN. I AM INVITING THE WHOLE WORLD TO LISTEN.

LET'S CONTINUE =)

For verily the voice of the Lord [sTILL, SMALL, QUIET, PEACEFUL] is unto all men, [iS UNTO YOU, TOM] and there is none to escape; [THE WORD ESCAPE HERE REFERS TO THE FACT THAT THE LIGHT OF CHRIST FILLS THE IMMENSITY OF SPACE, IT IS IN AND THROUGH ALL THINGS - THERE IS NONE TO ESCAPE] and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated.

"EYES SEEING" - SEEING MY HAND IN YOUR LIFE

"EARS HEARING" - HEARING MY VOICE

"HEARTS PENETRATED" - THINK BROKEN HEART AND CONTRITE SPIRIT -- THE CONVERSION PROCESS.

I need to go =/

I KNOW.

I LOVE YOU, TOM.

AND I HAVE LOVED SPEAKING WITH YOU THIS MORNING. =)

NOW GO. =)

STAY CLOSE TO ME TODAY. =)

============

Debi, the above is not a joke or a gimmick. It is an example of my sincere desire to connect with my Jesus, and to record what I feel are His words to me. I try not to doubt or worry that I am just "making all of this up." I just try to have faith in His words and in what I feel.

This process has blessed my life significantly! I feel closer to Jesus now than I have the previous 38 years of my life -- no question about that.

It takes time and patience. Be patient with this method of keeping a journal. It will bear precious fruit, I promise!

Thank you Keith,

That is a wonderful story. My husband was subjected to a lot of anti-mormon literature. In his church they showed the movie the "Godmakers" and he was made to believe that the B of M was based on evil principles. This line of thinking has been upsetting to me, he started to read it one time but he was looking for fault and so of course he found it.

All I really want him to do is see it from another side, a more honest side and then judge unfortunately he is set that on what his head has been filled with. He doesn't stop me from going to church and even our chlildren are baptised in the LDS church but he doesn't want any part of it.

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate all that you have shared. I went and witnessed my neices baptism today. Everyones' eyes were dry except mine. The spirit was so strong for me and witnessed to me of how true all of this is. I don't normally cry at baptisms but today was so different. It was a wonderful feeling to know that each person that goes into the waters of baptisms are beautiful spirits in an earthly form.

As I said, thank you.

Thanks Tom,

I appreciate all that you have shared. I went and witnessed my neices baptism today. Everyones' eyes were dry except mine. The spirit was so strong for me and witnessed to me of how true all of this is. I don't normally cry at baptisms but today was so different. It was a wonderful feeling to know that each person that goes into the waters of baptisms are beautiful spirits in an earthly form.

As I said, thank you.

God is good. :)

I was raised Baptist. My parents were good parents and didn't object when my sisters (in their early teens) wanted to join the LDS church. My oldest sister is twelve years older than I and I would go to primary (days when primary was during the week) with my nephew. My primary teachers gave me my first Book of Mormon when I was 10 yrs. old. They marked scriptures for me. I still have that Book of Mormon. But, it took me until I was 50 to read it and come to know the truthfulness of this restored gospel. My sisters never gave up on me! They didn't push me, they just simply loved me.

I know it must be terribly hard for you to sit back and not want to do something that may convince your husband that he has been given false teachings about the LDS church. I feel for you! He will have to, at some point, approach the reading of the Book of Mormon with an open heart. Until then, he won't be moved by it's beauty and truth. This was my experience, anyway.

Keep praying and feasting on His word and have open discussions with your husband. One day he might surprise you with an open heart and mind, like I did with my sisters.

*Candace:)