The Sacrament of Holy Communion

abqfriend

Guest TheLutheran

. . . It follows therefore that bread made from another substance, even if it is grain, or if it is mixed with another substance different from wheat to such an extent that it would not commonly be considered wheat bread, does not constitute valid matter for confecting the Sacrifice and the Eucharistic Sacrament. . .

Hi Carol~~

In the Catholic tradition, is there any allowable substitute for those with gluten intolerance or do they simply skip the host? I believe a rice wafer is available for our communicants with this issue.

We have volunteer bread bakers in our congregation. I know they all use the same recipe but the results are often very different. One Sunday the bread was so crumbly that it looked like it was snowing and there was a huge crumb mountain at our pastor's feet. :sunny:

There is a nearly gluten free version that is allowable, but not totally gluten free.

Here is the offocial answer:

1. Hosts that are completely gluten-free are invalid matter for the celebration of the Eucharist

Here is my source:

USCCB - (Liturgy) - In the November 2003 BCL Newsletter...

-Catholics believe that taking either the bread/body or wine/blood of the Eucharist is equal in validity-so somone with a strict glutten intolerance would be welcome to take the wine/blood of Christ.

-I am a former LCMS Lutheran-and Catholics and Lutherans have a similar view on the Sacrament, although there are differences as well-some you have noted.

We us terms like "transubstantiation" whereas Lutherans use terms like "con-substantiation."

Both view the Eucharist/Holy Communion as a Sacrament.

-Carol

Hi Carol~~

In the Catholic tradition, is there any allowable substitute for those with gluten intolerance or do they simply skip the host? I believe a rice wafer is available for our communicants with this issue.

We have volunteer bread bakers in our congregation. I know they all use the same recipe but the results are often very different. One Sunday the bread was so crumbly that it looked like it was snowing and there was a huge crumb mountain at our pastor's feet. :sunny:

• 2 weeks later...

The LDS church did start out using wine in the Sacrament. But the Lord warned Joseph concerning the use of wine as his enemies could poison it if he was not careful. Therefore.. the use of water was acceptable. It would cost much money now a days to serve wine to so many people world wide every week. I suppose if it was served.. there would probably be more people that would attend each week. :D

Christ was a teacher that used the world as his chalk board. At the last supper.. he used what he had as a teaching tool. If you look at the entire last supper as the lesson.. you can see how much of what happened there has been transfered to current Church meetings.

The one part we leave out is the actual eating together to be filled.. and then once filled.. partake of the bread and wine in remembrance of him. The being filled was literal then.. but is no longer. It now represents being filled with things of God. The word, the Spirit, the friendship, the love. After then being "filled".. we are to then eat and drink in similitude of what he did in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the Cross at Calvary. For without that sacrifice he made.. this life we live would be meaningless.

Everything the Lord taught was in similitude of something else. Parables were another way of looking at teachings. I do not think that the Lord really even cares what is used in this day and age. As long as one does it with the correct spirit and intention. So taking a shot of tequila as a representation of his blood.. doesn't fit the bill if you know what I mean.