LDS's From london England

Kenneth1982

For folks who are geographically quite far-removed from the U.S., I think there is definitely an issue with time-zone differences. You might need to do a little recruiting on your end and get some of your acquaintances to sign up (and hopefully they would then recruit others as well, and it would begin to spread over there). I will pass along a little secret that might help - at least briefly... they might get around to altering it and spoil the fun. Here on the English language version of the site there has to be a moderator for the chat or it gets closed down - but on the Spanish & Portuguese versions of this site, you can enter the chat at any old time and even if you are the only one there, it is still functional. Ok - you will probably say, "that fool - what possible good would it do me to go into the chat when there is nobody esle there???" This is the point.... if you RECRUIT some more people, you can meet each other there and it won't matter whether there is a moderator to keep it open - that isn't needed on the isster-sites (so far, unless they alter it to be like the English site, but I just tested it and it still works). So, go do some "missionary work" there, and get us smoe new "members"!!!

For folks who are geographically quite far-removed from the U.S., I think there is definitely an issue with time-zone differences. You might need to do a little recruiting on your end and get some of your acquaintances to sign up (and hopefully they would then recruit others as well, and it would begin to spread over there). I will pass along a little secret that might help - at least briefly... they might get around to altering it and spoil the fun. Here on the English language version of the site there has to be a moderator for the chat or it gets closed down - but on the Spanish & Portuguese versions of this site, you can enter the chat at any old time and even if you are the only one there, it is still functional. Ok - you will probably say, "that fool - what possible good would it do me to go into the chat when there is nobody esle there???" This is the point.... if you RECRUIT some more people, you can meet each other there and it won't matter whether there is a moderator to keep it open - that isn't needed on the isster-sites (so far, unless they alter it to be like the English site, but I just tested it and it still works). So, go do some "missionary work" there, and get us smoe new "members"!!!

That changed a few months ago....

The chatroom is now open from 9am to 9pm (US time - can't remeber which timezone though)

You say the chat room hours changed and are 9 am to 9 pm - you must be referring to the English-speaking site. My comment was directed at the fact that for folks in other time zones, even that may not come close to working very well - take the case of the fellow from England as a case in point. It is several hours later over in Jolly Old England where he is located than it is even on the east coast of the U.S., so those 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. hours that would appear to give a pretty decent range or window of opportunity for folks here in the continental U.S.A. still just don't provide a very viable window for those in places like that - then consider for example that there are a number of good members of LDSnet who are in the Philipine Islands.... the time zone difference over there will really blow your mind, so it is more challenging for them to participate. I point out that although for the English-speaking site, the chat room closes up shop and becomes inaccessible outside the "window of opportunity" hours, the same does not hold true for the sister sites in Spanish and Portuguese. I have personally been in the chat room on the English side when we have been informed that it is going to shut down and we must log out now, so I know that when an assigned admin/monitor isn't there they shut down. But in the chat on the Spanish/Portuguese side, I have entered the chat at about every imaginable hour - daytime and during the wee hours of the night - and it lets me enter and sit in there for as long as I have the patience to do it. Unfortunately, generally there is nobody else in there to talk to, but I can't help but think what a great opportunity this makes for those who for what ever reason have a need to carry on their visits and chat during odd hours when the English side isn't available. It could be because of the time-zone problem, or simply because at the time that the main English chat goes off-line, they are in a good conversation and don't really want to cut it off. All you would do in that case is that those participating in the conversation would agree to go over and continue it on either the Spanish or the Portuguese sister site. In some instances it might take some participants a few minutes to set up their additional account over there, but you can use your same username and password as you have on the English side, so it can be done in a matter of a couple of minutes or so - then you are all free to continue the conversation with no fixed shut-down time.,

Of course, there is a distinct possibility that if everybody started going over there for this purpose, at some point they might eventually alter things and begin to require a monitor/admin on that side also, but it would be viable for a while, and those with time-zone problems, if they were to invite additional folks to join up over there in their own area, the chat over there wouldn't be empty - though in some instances you might have to pretty much "set an appointment" with the other parties, to get everyone in there at the same time and have them available to chat with.

Ok - I don't know if it will attract anybody or not, but it would work really well for those with time & time zone-related problems, or those who don't want to have to cut off a good conversation from time to time.

Edited by wa1den

Welcome Ken to the forum. I used to roam the Harold Hill, Romford [Essex] area, around Lancing Road. The only American who in the neighborhood. LOL I have a alot of relatives who still preside in the country. Though, I am glad to see some LDS members here to commune with...but I do miss the Fish [Rock Eel] and chips. :)

Thanks. and yes fish and chips very english lol

Hi, I'm from the UK, not from London tho, I visit this site pretty frequently but haven't strayed into the chat room very often as I find it difficult to make conversation on the spot like that..I no longer use MSN/Yahoo messenger services for the same reason...I don't mind PMing people tho, if they're patient enough to wait for my thoughts to come together with my typing fingers, lol :)

You should feel "write" at home here, since our spell checker is British. [That's labour, not labor ;lol;]

I did my Master's thesis on the history of Liberal thought from Jeremy Bentham to the Edwardian years. (p.s. to my American LDS friends, British Liberalism in the old days was NOT akin to American Liberalism)

WELCOME!!

p.s.

On second thought, it may just be that my Firefox is set to British English. Guess I need to check that out.

Hi Kenneth, i am just up the motorway from you, in sunny Bedfordhire. Welcome, you have come to the right place, there are so many good folk here, LDS and Non LDS. We do sometimes get a little bit of nitpicking going on but that soon gets nipped in the bud by the mods.

I have had my butt kicked couple of times for not being as sensitive as i should have been when starting topics, but i am learning by reading a lot on here how to word things so as not to upset people.

There are some very knowledgeable and wise guys and girls here, do not be afraid to ask them anything.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I'm not from London either but from near Newcastle upon Tyne. Been to London loads of times and love the place! Will try and catch you in the chat room some time soon.

Also a quick question to the mods if they read this, why is the english langage chat room only open between certain times? And am I right in thinking even in those times there has to be a mod online aswell? Why is that?

Hi, I'm not from London either but from near Newcastle upon Tyne. Been to London loads of times and love the place! Will try and catch you in the chat room some time soon.

Also a quick question to the mods if they read this, why is the english langage chat room only open between certain times? And am I right in thinking even in those times there has to be a mod online aswell? Why is that?

its set up to be open without a mod from 9am to 9pm mountain time....after that it requires a mod to be in the room. Reason for this was due to ....way to many things going on in room after those hours...:)

I have been to Newcastle a few times......if I am correct we had to go thru Newcastle to attend Stake Conf in Sunderland....