Embryo Donation...

momof5

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe in what our Church leaders counsel on the subject. As found on lds.org.

Except where the wicked crime of incest or rape was involved, or where competent medical authorities certify that the life of the mother is in jeopardy, or that a severely defective fetus cannot survive birth, abortion is clearly a “thou shalt not.” Even in these very exceptional cases, much sober prayer is required to make the right choice.

We face such sobering choices because we are the children of God.

Just so everyone is clear I don't believe in donating eggs for another reason. I don't believe in a pre mortal life so all you saying that we need bodies for those souls is not a good reason to donate any eggs.

Life begins when the egg is fertilized.

Abortion is murder. I'm pretty sure it is a sin to kill.

God has a plan for everyone period.

maybe i'm misunderstanding, but did you just contradict yourself here?

maybe i'm misunderstanding, but did you just contradict yourself here?

I don't know if he did or not...I've stopped trying to figure out his logic, because I can't find any. I'm just confused by him. Good thing I know what I believe and what the Lord has indicated as appropriate or not.

Guest SisterofJared

Really if a woman is pregnant and it's going to kill her to have that baby, the baby is going to die with her. So it isn't wrong to end the life of the fetus and save the mother.

But it would be a darn hard decision, because you would have to be convinced that it would absolutely kill the mother and the baby.... if there was a chance the baby could live, it would be excrutiating to make such a decision.

The think the thing to remember is the love of our Father and his mercy. If we prayerfully make the decision, we can trust in that love and mercy.

As to the former topic (derailed again, lol) I also was told that it was strongly discouraged but that there was no disciplinary action if someone used other sperm/eggs to have a child. My feeling is that while I probably wouldn't have asked my bishop unless I felt confused after prayer.... if I did ask my bishop, I would go with his counsel, because you can never go wrong that way. (Except in the case of an exceptional bishop who has fallen and is giving inappropriate advice which is possible but unusual).

I believe that when we don't understand counsel from a Godly bishop, we should still act on it. To continue in our own rebellious path at that point can lead to a seperation of ourselves from the spirit and perhaps even eventually to apostasy. Just like having two sets of earrings.... two holes in your ear won't seperate you from God... but refusing to listen to a prophet's voice can. Likewise, it is wise to follow the counsel of your bishop once you have it.

Sister of Jared

I don't understand why she would need to visit her Bishop.

Really, a bishop is not supposed to take the place of using our own brains and praying for our answers. Far too many times people run to their bishops for answers that they are entitled to recieve on their own.

The bishop does not stand in place of God. He has a certain responsibility to his congregation and can be a huge blessing in someone's life, but there really isn't a need to run to them for answers that we are entitled to recieve ourselves. Do we believe in personal revelation or not?

Sister of Jared

Go back to the original question...why is she asking the forum? If she cannot obtain that answer, she needs to hear it from the Bishop directly. It will be no different from hearing from a former or acting leadership members located on this forum.

Regards to your last comment, if anyone cannot obtain a clear answer via personal revelation from a member of the Godhead and failing to receive a confirmation by the Holy Ghost, your next choice is to see the local leadership.

Go back to the original question...why is she asking the forum? If she cannot obtain that answer, she needs to hear it from the Bishop directly. It will be no different from hearing from a former or acting leadership members located on this forum.

Regards to your last comment, if anyone cannot obtain a clear answer via personal revelation from a member of the Godhead and failing to receive a confirmation by the Holy Ghost, your next choice is to see the local leadership.

Yeah but that would mean every answer we give on here would be the same: Go talk to your Bishop. How boring is that? Remember we are nosy Mormons and want to put our two cents into everyones piggybank or in other words we have to have our finger in everyones green jello. Of course we all know what the right answer is but that leaves alot to be desired for those of us that come here for entertainment.

Guest SisterofJared

Hemidoka, I do agree that if they don't feel they have received their own personal revelation, going to talk to the bishop is a good choice. And I believe they should follow counsel given.

And Checkerboy, you are a hoot!! Let's be honest..... sometimes people just want to TALK! There's a little excitement in sharing an idea. You may get inspiration from others.... I've seen lots of good solid counsel given on some threads here.... and nothing wrong with a lively discussion before making a decision, right? But when it's decision time, it's definately time to pray and listen to the Lord and his servants, not to the cyber friends!

But you made me laugh. Thanks!

SoJ