There is ONLY ONE GOD

Alleluia707

The Bible says that there is ONLY ONE GOD (Deuteronomy 6:4).

However, section 132 of Doctrine and Covenants says that "men may become gods".

So which is correct?

Well, section 132 of Doctrine and Covenants was written later when Smith wanted to teach Mormons to marry multiple wives. Here he added that in the next life those who followed this new covenant would become gods: "Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them." Doctrine and Covenants 132:20.

And what does God say will happen to those who would add to His word or take away from it...

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." -Revelation 22:18,19

"ADD thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar." -Proverb 30:6

Many people today question the Bible's veracity. Do you honestly believe that God does not have the power to preserve His Word from a wicked generation?

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, THOU SHALT PRESERVE THEM FROM THIS GENERATION FOR EVER." -Psalm 12:6,7

Know ye not that the word of God endureth forever? Where do you think the word of God was before false prophet Joseph Smith came along? Hidden? Nay, it cannot be destroyed!

"For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 1:25 But THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURETH FOR EVER. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." -1st Peter 1:24

So which is correct? The answer is the Bible.

Joseph Smith added to God‘s word; thus, he was a liar.

You see, if the teachings of the Mormonism are correct now, then they were clearly wrong from 1830 until about 1842 when they thought that there was only one God and that God was not once a man. But if they were correct from 1830 to about 1842, then they are wrong now because Mormon doctrine says that there are many gods (Doctrine and Covenants 132) and that God progressed from once being a man.

But from 1 Corinthians 14:33 we learn, "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." This confusion of Mormon doctrine should make any thinking person wonder about the reliability of the rest of it's teachings.

So then how can you know for sure that you are saved?

The Bible says that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and not of works. There is no amount of good works or ceremonies that you can do to save your soul because salvation is a gift.

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast” Ephesians 2:8-9

I’ll say it again, salvation is a gift available for all who simply believe in Jesus Christ. Salvation is sure because it is a gift. Whereas, if it is a matter of works, then no one can be sure of being saved.

We see in Acts 16:30-31 where the jailer asked Paul and Silas, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.”

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ alone and you will without a shadow of a doubt be saved.

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life...” 1 John 5:13

Edited by Alleluia707

Ok, first of all Alleluia707, calm down and take a breath........are you good now? Did you get it all off your chest? Can we honestly talk like mature adults or are you going to flip a circuit? If you pick the first then great! Welcome to the site. If you pick the latter than I suggest you move on. A long time ago back in Missouri there was an actual extermination order on Mormons. It was legal to kill a Mormon in Missouri I think even up to about the 1970's. Don't quote me on that though. Im not possitive how long it was legal. Anyway back in the days of Joseph Smith people wanted us dead. There were only a few thousand members at that time and they couldn't get rid of us then. Now with hundreds of millions of us I guarantee you stand absolutely no chance of getting rid of us now. We're here to stay and you'll just have to deal with it.

Joseph Smith didn't add to anything. The Lord did. I would also suggest you actually study any LDS canon before you assume you know what it means. Otherwise you just look dumb to those who actually understand it. Just a little helpful hint.:D

I believe in one God, in salvation by grace, that the revealed canon of Scripture thus far is found in the Protestant Bible, and that I'm right and those who disagree are wrong...but...who's going to listen to me if I don't listen also? Who's going to respect me, if I don't give respect also? Who's going to assume that I'm mistaken, rather than a liar, if I don't offer the same consideration?

Note that whenever Jesus encountered those in theological error (The Pharisees, Sadducees, Samaritans, etc.) he most often asked them questions, and listened to their answers, before responding. Sometimes the winner of the debate is not the one with the silverest tongue, but the one with the most discerning ears.

I'm with the Chaplain here. Take two steps back and a breath while you're at it. If someone ran up to your face while you were hanging out with your friends and started to shout at you that what you believe is wrong, how would you take it?

Whether you're right or wrong, or they're right or wrong, you have to think about the fact that you're inviting people to just shut you out.

Look, these guys are a bunch of real nice guys. I think they deserve a little more respect than you're willing to give m.

The Bible says that there is ONLY ONE GOD (Deuteronomy 6:4).

However, section 132 of Doctrine and Covenants says that "men may become gods".

So which is correct?

Both. At this point in time there is only one patriarch in the Falconer family, my dad. At a future point in time when I have my own children there will be two, my father and I. But I still see my dad as my patriarch.

If God is truly the father of our spirits, then it stands to reason that he would want to share with us all that he knows. What father would deny his children all that he has? Romans 8: 17 tells that we our his children and joint-heirs with Christ. And Christ inherited everythign from the Father.

The ones who shall become gods are not those who lust after power, or control, for those are not worthy to recieve what Heavenly Father gives. They are those who seek to be 'perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect', perfect in love, charity, priesthood and goodness, without these, all other god like attributes are nothing.

Well, section 132 of Doctrine and Covenants was written later when Smith wanted to teach Mormons to marry multiple wives. Here he added that in the next life those who followed this new covenant would become gods: "Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them." Doctrine and Covenants 132:20.

And what does God say will happen to those who would add to His word or take away from it...

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." -Revelation 22:18,19

"ADD thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar." -Proverb 30:6

The New Testament is not exactly a chronological account where the books were organized by dating of authorship. If that were the case then a lot of the epistles would be first, and the gospels scattered throughout. It would also mean that that the Gospel of John would be after the book of Revelations. Hence, by your reasoning that beautiful scripture written the the apostle beloved of Christ would be invalid. The Bible iteslf is Latin for "Collection of Books", and the warning provided in Revelations only concerns the prophecies in that same book.

Interestingly enough it says the same thing in Deutoromny, which is one of the reasons the Saducees rejected the idea of the resurrection, as anything after the Books of Moses were considered not scripture.

Many people today question the Bible's veracity. Do you honestly believe that God does not have the power to preserve His Word from a wicked generation?

"The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, THOU SHALT PRESERVE THEM FROM THIS GENERATION FOR EVER." -Psalm 12:6,7

Know ye not that the word of God endureth forever? Where do you think the word of God was before false prophet Joseph Smith came along? Hidden? Nay, it cannot be destroyed!

"For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: 1:25 But THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURETH FOR EVER. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." -1st Peter 1:24

So which is correct? The answer is the Bible.

Joseph Smith added to God‘s word; thus, he was a liar.

Of course God preserves his Word, why do you think the Book of Mormon was hidden? To preserve it for our day? The Gospel principles, which are the true Words of God, are eternal. The Bible is nothing but a bunch of paper with words on it, written by man. However, the Gospel, or Good WORD, does endureth forever.

You see, if the teachings of the Mormonism are correct now, then they were clearly wrong from 1830 until about 1842 when they thought that there was only one God and that God was not once a man. But if they were correct from 1830 to about 1842, then they are wrong now because Mormon doctrine says that there are many gods (Doctrine and Covenants 132) and that God progressed from once being a man.

But from 1 Corinthians 14:33 we learn, "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." This confusion of Mormon doctrine should make any thinking person wonder about the reliability of the rest of it's teachings.

There is always one God and shall always be one God. Will there ever be more gods? Sure, but never more than one God. :P

As for the King Follet discourse, which refers to the 'Man to God' thing, it's not technically canon. Though if one believes it there is no condemnation, and the discourse may in fact be correct, as I believe.

And you're right, God isn't the author of confusion, he has one gospel and one word. Tell me then? Which church contains this word? All of the Christian Churches can't be right, for there is only one church truly headed by God and his Son. Is it Catholicism? Eastern Orthodoxy? Protestantism? Arianism? Gnosticism? Armenian Christianity?

So then how can you know for sure that you are saved?

The Bible says that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and not of works. There is no amount of good works or ceremonies that you can do to save your soul because salvation is a gift.

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast” Ephesians 2:8-9

I’ll say it again, salvation is a gift available for all who simply believe in Jesus Christ. Salvation is sure because it is a gift. Whereas, if it is a matter of works, then no one can be sure of being saved.

We see in Acts 16:30-31 where the jailer asked Paul and Silas, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.”

I agree with you completely, works will definitley not save me alone. But to disregard them will also damn us. Grace and works go hand in hand, and it has also been my belief that they are one in the same. The Christ himself said "If ye love me, keep my commandments." I love and believe in Christ, and therefore it is my active duty to spread his word, to do as he did and Work with the children of men. I believe that in the end I'll be judged by my works as well as my belief in Christ and his atoning sacrifice (Revelations 20: 13).

Are you married? Or dating someone? If so, can you just go home and say to that someone "Love you" and expect the relationship to last. Or do you have to work at it? Do you have to show your love by doing things for them?

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ alone and you will without a shadow of a doubt be saved.

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life...” 1 John 5:13

Thanks for the reassurance.

There is ONLY ONE GOD

You really covered a lot in one post? Did you really what us here on this site to defend that or what was your purpose in posting all of that? Its seemed like it was trying to be more of a shock and aw tactic.

So for the first part, I really just need YOUR definition of God? Its actually a plan and simple questions. Once you come to realize that I bet our views of God are actually pretty similar.

Revelation 22:18,19

You do realize that when Revelation was written it wasn’t in the bible you have now? You also realize that a lot of Paul’s written came after Revelations was written? If you truly believe that verses then you have to believe that that Paul’s writings are adding to the bible.

Sense you seem to like verses from the bible here are a couple more.

(Deuteronomy 4:2.)

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

(Proverbs 30:6.)

6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

If we take these verses at face value then the whole New Testament is false.

The scriptures here are talking about adding to the books that they were written! Not that more scripture is bad!

Do you honestly believe that God does not have the power to preserve His Word from a wicked generation?

Do you honestly believe that God only speaks to one people in one small nation (compared to the whole Earth).

Do you really believe that nobody else in the world has ever had Revelation, Prophets, Christ Gospel?

This is all we are saying!

Really God says it best

(2 Nephi 29:6-9.)

6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?

7 Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?

8 Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

Why is having more words from God so bad? Why is realizing that God speaks to more people then one so fighting to the rest of the world?

How many different interpretations can there be of the bible? With the added witness of more scripture (and more Revelation) we come to understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ clearer! If you could have one more letter from Paul, one more chapter from Luke. Wouldn't you want this! Wouldn't you search the earth for this!

I’ll stop there, that’s enough for us to discuss if you want to.

One last questions, have you even Read the book of mormon?

Edited by tubaloth

Alleluia.......you really don't understand what we believe. You may think you do...but you don't.....and that is the problem. Perhaps talking to some missionaries or reading through some related threads would clarify your understanding of our beliefs. May I suggest being polite and respectful? Calling the Prophet Joseph Smith a liar might ruffle some feathers and this is after all an LDS site. The truth about the "Mormons" is available...but you don't have it.

Deuteronomy 6:4 doesn't even say that 'there is only one God' anyway. Sheesh.

-a-train

Isaiah 46:9 does

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me."

so does Isaiah 45:22

"Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else."

so does 1 Kings 8:60

"That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else."

.....and Deuteronomy 4:39

"Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else."

Hey, give them a break. Perhaps we don't believe the same as they do, but I've come to respect the fact that most of them do it out out love and a sincere desire to save us.

Haha, yep like those guys over at CARM:

LDS: 'thanks for the conversation, it's been great.but I must leave this forum now though.'

Anti: 'You will burn in Hell for your beliefs.'

Yes, Love it is. Hey, some do respect us, but a lot of others......It doesn't feel like it at all.