so guys i got another question. As some of you know ive been investagting the church anyway ive got over a few of the hurdles the the teaching of exhaltion makes sense now and doesnt really seem to mean we will become Gods in the sense that we are worshiped so i can handle that. Anyway here is my question can one be a mormon in good standing and still belive that there is only one God in the entire universe and that there is no other but him and he was and will always be God forever and was always God from all time

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so guys i got another question. As some of you know ive been investagting the church anyway ive got over a few of the hurdles the the teaching of exhaltion makes sense now and doesnt really seem to mean we will become Gods in the sense that we are worshiped so i can handle that. Anyway here is my question can one be a mormon in good standing and still belive that there is only one God in the entire universe and that there is no other but him and he was and will always be God forever and was always God from all time

It would be useful to consider that the word "god" is not a name that designates one specific entity. We are trapped in this conundrum because of language constrains. It is also interesting that in Hebrew, for example, they use various words to describe very similar but clearly distinct objects/subjects like grapes, drinks obedience. The language allows for greater descriptive detail and specificity of meaning.

Go figure, there is God, the Eternal Father of ALL spirits and Creator of the universe. Him to whom Jesus prayed and Who declared from heaven that Jesus was His beloved Son. Then there is Jesus Christ, "...The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" as declared by Isaiah. John also calls Jesus Father and God because "ALL things were made by him, and without him was not any thing made that was made." After the crucifixion and throughout all the NT Jesus is referred as the Son of God as well.

So, it is not really a theological leap to realize that Theos or God (from the Greek) is a descriptor rather than a name. In the old testament they use the name Jehovah hundreds of times as the name of God. They refer to the Eternal Father of all creation and the universe by a different name only twice.

It is like quantum physics. It takes a stretch to understand because we are trapped in a three-dimensional world perceived only thru our physical senses. But you can get there.

Edited by Islander

ive heard "as far as it matters to us" but my question is can a mormon belive that there is ONLY one God in the entire universe and there is only him and no other no where else is there any other God

The Godhead is.......God the Father......Jesus Christ his only begotten and the Holy Ghost...and they are One God. One in prupose.....not substance. There purpose? "To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

ive heard "as far as it matters to us" but my question is can a mormon belive that there is ONLY one God in the entire universe and there is only him and no other no where else is there any other God

Yes you sure can. That is all that is taught to us. Everything else is speculatory on the part of members. We will be taught the extent of what we are speculating when we reach the hear after, but it is not important for our salvation nor exaltation. One God whom we worship, that is what we preach.

As I did in the other thread, may I direct you to Genesis 3: 22.

Do to the constrains of the english language we we have several translations of God from Hebrew.

Adonai - Lord, commonally used instead of YHWH

YHWH - God, commonly translated as Jehovah

Elohim/Eloi - God, or Gods (not gods), Elohim is plural interestingly enough....

change god to father...... i have one father. doesn't mean there aren't other father's out there but for me, all that i care about, i only have one. a son can become like his father....he can become a father too.....doesn't change that he still only has one father....that fact never changes...just cause you progress forward another generation doesn't change how many father's you have.....one

Shadow, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. However, I think you should remember the first article of faith: "We believe in God, the Eternal Father; and in his Son, Jesus Christ; and in the Holy Ghost." If you find that you cannot believe this, I personally would feel there is nothing to gain by joining the church.

Even more importantly, joining the church is not simply joining the church. When you are baptized, you are making a covenant. That is a serious step. Jesus Christ is who you are in the covenant relationship with. You would be baptized in the "name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost". That is how the baptismal prayer/ceremony goes. So if that bothers you, I wouldn't make a covenant about it, because a covenant is binding upon you.

These three Holy and Exalted Men (3 beings) make up one God (Godhead, united in their work on earth with the children of the Father).

I love your honest and sincere heart, and I appreciate how much you are learning and you want to understand and do what is right. I hope that you will find the place in this life that you believe is right. I invite you to believe the teaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ, as given by the true messengers of the Father, and that is what you hear taught by the prophet of God (Thomas S. Monson). I invite you to join the church, we would love to have you. But, again, I'm not sure what you are asking, but I have tried to answer the best I could saying what I have been taught as true, and I think what I have said is the most basic belief a member of the church is required to hold.

Continue to study it out for yourself. Ask God what is right. Ask him to show you who he really is.

:)

As you progress in your own gospel edification and salvation, the Godhead will open your spirit to other truths, doctrines, and principles that may aid your understanding. Be patient in learning the basics and from there, the Holy Ghost will aid you on your journey. :D

We have core doctrines that we must all adhere to. Other teachings are often left for personal consideration. For baptism, you would be asked if you believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. There is no other requirement for us as LDS but to worship the Godhead.

The key to all of it goes to this: was Joseph Smith a true prophet of God? If he was, then we would at least keep an open mind on things he taught that may or may not be doctrinal to us now.

If Joseph was God's prophet, then worrying about small issues like that is immaterial. If there are other gods, then our disbelieving it doesn't help. If there aren't, then it doesn't matter what we believe. But it does matter whether we should follow living prophets' counsel and direction, if they are indeed prophets of God.

There were a number of things I wasn;t so sure about when I joined, but I had receive confirmation from God that what I was being taught was true and that I should do what God wanted me to do. I have been a member for 15 years now and as I grow spiritually, I learn and understand more and more.

Very seldom will you hear Mormons talking about Gods plural, usually its those that are anti-Mormon. Truth is we don;t know a whole lot about specifics, we know we are Gods children (but how that happens is has not been revealed) we know from the Bible that we can "be co-heirs with Christ of all the Father has" but the details of that are not spelled out, so to answer your question, yes, I believe you can be a member in good standing without believing there are other Gods

In the words of the 3 Witnesses to the Book of Mormon

.....And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery

David Whitmer

Martin Harris

from Testimony of Three Witnesses

to me the Godhead doesnt seem that different from the trinty. "Three persons in one nature" doesnt sound any different then the LDS belife that they are separte but one in will and purpose so i can accept the Godhead being separte. What i am asking is apart from the Godhead can you be a good mormon and belive that there are no Gods apart from the Godhead? sry if im not being clear

Yes you can be. The rest is supposition. We are extrapolating the idea that if we are to become like God then we too can become Gods and if that is so for us then why not those who existed in God's time. Does he have other peers? The doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does not say. We can suppose but it has not been revealed.

Ben Raines

Christ tried teaching His people that they were heirs of God, being children of God. If we are children of God, then we are gods ourselves. We need only live up to our fullest potential. The Jews counted this as utter blasphemy because they did not understand the scriptures and tried to take Christ's life.

Ps. 82: 6

6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

John 10: 34-35

34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

If we are saved in heaven, it stands to reason that will do so as heirs to His kingdom as gods, ourselves. But God, our Father in heaven is THE one true God, our God, whom WE worship. Christ is God, His son, who is our Savior. The Holy Ghost is also God, a Comforter and testifier of truth. All three are distinct personages. I think this is about as simple as I can distill it. John 17 offers more insight as to how we can all be one (in purpose), yet individual. Note verses 20-23. I hope it sheds a little more perspective.

Best wishes.

Edited by skalenfehl
inserted verses to note in John 17

Shadowhunter, imho what you are driving at is whether or not LDS theology is monotheistic, in the ultimate sense. In terms of worship, the answer may be yes. However, I've seen several posters, and some LDS theologians cast aside the monotheist label. After all, small-g or big-G, there are numerous G/gods in the universe, according to the Church, right? Only one targeted for worship...but many others, nonetheless.

As for the Trinity, the LDS distinctive is important--is the Godhead a single essential being made up of three persons, or is it really a 3-god pantheon, with a singular purpose? This is more than semantics, and the two views cannot be reconciled.

As for the Trinity, the LDS distinctive is important--is the Godhead a single essential being made up of three persons, or is it really a 3-god pantheon, with a singular purpose? This is more than semantics, and the two views cannot be reconciled.

But it is all semanticsl

Is the Father God?

Is Jesus God?

Is the Holy Spirit God?

Does that make 1 God or 3 Gods -- its all 100% semantics (and 100% irrelivant IMHO)

God does not fit into a nice little package that mankind can put on a shelf with a lable describing it.

Edited by mnn727
added last sentance

In answering it in another meaning, the distinct personality of these three individual Gods, united however into one Godhead or Divine Council, was made apparent at the baptism of Jesus; for as He, God the Son, came up out of the water from His baptism at the hands of John, a manifestation of the presence of the Holy Ghost was given in the sign of the dove which rested upon Jesus, while out of the glory of heaven the voice of God the Father was heard saying, 'This,' referring to Jesus, 'is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.' The distinctness of the personality of each member of the Godhead is also shown by the commandment to baptize those who believe in the Gospel equally in the name of each person of the Holy Trinity. "These three Personages constitute the Christian Godhead, the Holy Trinity. In early Christian theology they were regarded as the Supreme Governing and Creating Power in heaven and in earth. Of which Trinity the Father was worshipped in the name of the Son, while the Holy Ghost bore record of both the Father and the Son. And though the Holy Trinity was made up of three distinct persons, yet did they constitute but one Godhead, or Supreme Governing Power. That woudl be the case.

Now, the Apostolic Fathers lived before the rise of the two principal Anti-Trinitarian theories and attempted no speculative construction of the doctrine of the trinity. They merely repeat the Biblical phraseology, without endeavoring to collect and combine the data of revelation into a systematic form. They invariably speak of Christ as divine; and make no distinction in their modes of thought and expression, between the deity of the Son and that of the Father. These immediate pupils of the Apostles enter into no speculative investigation of the doctrine of the Logos, and content themselves with the simplest and most common expressions respecting the trinity. In these expressions, however, the germs of the future so-called scientific statement may be discovered; and it is the remark of Meier, one of the fairest of those who have written the history of Trinitarianism, that the beings of an immanent trinity can be seen in the writings of the practical and totally unspeculative Apostolic Fathers. Reference Shedd, Vol. I, 261-265