Oneida Castle - Onidah, Hill

Omer - Omner

Rama - Ramah

Ripple Lake - Ripliancum, Waters of

Sodom - Sidom

Shiloh - Shilom

Lands of the Minonion - Land of Minon

Tenecum (Tecumsah) - Teancum

Courtesy of Vern Holley Vernal Holley: Book of Mormon Authorship 2nd. ed. -part I

Guest The_Doctor

A commonly held view of many Book of Mormon scholars is that the Jaredites were associated with the Olmec culture and the Nephites and Lamanites were associated with the Mayan culture...

I thought the Lamanites sounded more like the Aztecs. Maybe that's just me. :unsure:

If you just looked at Moksha's posts and looked no further, you would get a perspective that is much different than the reality. For example, she lists modern names that are close to BoM names. What she doesn't tell you, for example, is that Angola as a modern location name did not exist at the time the BoM was translated, of that some of the names on the list were very distant from JS and very obscure and it was highly doubtful that he could have known about them. Or, many of the names have closer parallels to biblical location names than to modern location names.

A more interesting question might be, why does Moksha want you to form an inaccurate opinion?

What she doesn't tell you, for example, is that Angola as a modern location name did not exist at the time the BoM was translated...

A more interesting question might be, why does Moksha want you to form an inaccurate opinion?

While the use of the name Angola in this village of Erie County, New York was not in official use till 1854, the name was around way before that.

As to mentioning this, I wanted to add some useful information to the discussion. However, even though I think conspiracy thinking is sometimes muddled, I never the less enjoy its wackiness. So as to the question of why he added this information is open for speculation, but only after fasting and praying about it.

;)

Oh. Could we have some evidence please and some also that JS might have known about it?

Why should we assume that Joseph Smith knew of this? I do not make that assumption. For more on Angola, Google - Angola New York. Look for the wikipedia listing. Make sure you put in New York or it will talk about the African area from whence the name originates.

I do not have an opinion on the names issue; however, I am aware of it, and when I read the Meridian article, I immediately thought it dismissed the stronger possibilities.

I suspect that was the reason Moksha posted it, as his list gives a better perspective of what the claims are. (He can correct me if I'm wrong.)

By the way, Moksha, yew du man!

Elphaba