No, he retained it as part of his person. Jesus is complete as spirit/physical entity. He does not just keep the body like a business suit in a heavenly closet, awaiting his return in glory. It is part of his being. He is not just a spirit, otherwise, the resurrection of Christ becomes meaningless, and Luke 24 becomes a lie, where he tells his disciples to touch his hands and feet, because a spirit does not have flesh and bone as he had.

Unless I misunderstood your statement,

Yes, he can. As contradictory as it sounds there is an Earthly explanation for his return. And it is, that Jesus'es ressurected body is in Heaven, and his physical body, known as Joshua, will return to the planet's stratosphere.(Or so I have come to understand it.) His spirit, has always been God.

This seems to mean that the body of Christ is separate from his spirit. That is a Gnostic view, in that Jesus and Christ were/are two separate beings: One Jesus/Yeshua/Joshua, and the other Christ/Messiah. The Christ was the divine being who entered into the mortal Jesus at baptism (Father states, "today I have begotten thee"), and later left him alone on the cross ("My God, why hast thou forsaken me?"). His reward was to be the first human resurrected.

So, unless I misunderstood your wording above, this is how I read it.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in specific cases. Michael the Archangel, the Angel of the Lord is always in the presence of the Lord, so where he is, God is. And yes, spiritually, I believe that a man is with his wife while they are seperated, but that is just an opinion of mine.

Thank you so much for your explanation. Now that I understand your liberal use of the language I can say that I believe for the most part I agree with your thinking. However, please understand that I prefer a much tighter and conventional use and understanding of language as well as a strict and consistent interpretation of scripture.

The Traveler

Two tiny comments:

1. No matter what God makes of me eternally he will always be my God. That will never ever change.

2. I could never limit what God can do, even with little ole me, or what he can say.

Gigi: Thank you for your thoughts. To clarify my understanding I would add to your thoughts:

Concerning your #1. G-d will not make of you in eternity anything without your complete understanding and compliance. In addition I believe that anything he does will be done by covenant which requires great love, mercy and sacrifice on his behalf and all the responsibility for what you become is given to you according to the covenant of agency. It does not matter how much someone love and serves G-d if they will not be “forced” to do anything they do not wish. But for those that submit their will and their destiny shall become “one” with G-d the Father, G-d the Son and G-d the Holy Ghost.

Concerning #2. I believe that in eternity that when we have become “one” with G-d that our relationship will transcend and become greater (including to him) than just merely being our G-d as we can possibly understand such things now. I think it will be more along the lines that he will be our beloved Father and we will be his beloved Sons and Daughters. I would not be surprised that we do not address him as our G-d but as our Father – I believe that G-d the Father would be more pleased with that and that this was his plan and will for us from the “beginning”.

The Traveler

Not even....there is a difference. There are two ways you will see when He reveals Himself; one of glory and one of His earthly mortal body.

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. I believe that Jesus will reveal himself only as a glorified being. Although the prints in his hands and feet may still be present I still believe that anyone associated with Jesus will no longer precieve a mortal body - as with all that are resurrected the mortal will be done away and there will exist the resurrected body of glory.

The Traveler

Gigi: Thank you for your thoughts. To clarify my understanding I would add to your thoughts:

Concerning your #1. G-d will not make of you in eternity anything without your complete understanding and compliance. In addition I believe that anything he does will be done by covenant which requires great love, mercy and sacrifice on his behalf and all the responsibility for what you become is given to you according to the covenant of agency. It does not matter how much someone love and serves G-d if they will not be “forced” to do anything they do not wish. But for those that submit their will and their destiny shall become “one” with G-d the Father, G-d the Son and G-d the Holy Ghost.

Concerning #2. I believe that in eternity that when we have become “one” with G-d that our relationship will transcend and become greater (including to him) than just merely being our G-d as we can possibly understand such things now. I think it will be more along the lines that he will be our beloved Father and we will be his beloved Sons and Daughters. I would not be surprised that we do not address him as our G-d but as our Father – I believe that G-d the Father would be more pleased with that and that this was his plan and will for us from the “beginning”.

The Traveler

Well said.

It's all about wanting His will in our own lives. I know that He shows His power as He works through weak and simple things.

I am humbled to know that eternally He is my Father.

Gigi, as we are given a greater portion of light, our understanding changes as our emotions for our creator grows immensely. I do now and always consider them my eternal parents. I have limited patience in waiting to return home and hugged them both for giving me a chance in mortality. Even now, when I feel the Spirit as I ponder the moment, I have tears in my eyes with sincere gratitude for my exsistment as a Adam.

Edited by Hemidakota

I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. I believe that Jesus will reveal himself only as a glorified being. Although the prints in his hands and feet may still be present I still believe that anyone associated with Jesus will no longer precieve a mortal body - as with all that are resurrected the mortal will be done away and there will exist the resurrected body of glory.

The Traveler

You will only know what I am referring too once you experience it for yourself; as one of my daughters did recently.

On the topic of.. the difference between his earthly body and his celestial body..

It's all in the lighting. Much like how we can listen to a talk and feel the spirit.. yet someone else can listen to the same talk and not feel it at all.

It has as much to do with us as it has to do with Him. I hope one day soon I'll be to the point where I'm spiritually mature enough to see celestial glory. JMO of course.

Let me see if I understand the LDS beliefs on this topic correctly:

Human beings were born in heaven as the son or daughter of a god and goddess before they were born physically here on earth.

Being born into this life here on earth is something that we agreed to in heaven. This life serves as a test and a means of obtaining exaltation one day to godhood.

One achieves exaltation by living a life of obedience to Mormon teaching and practices. Those exalted to godhood will inhabit a planet and procreate spirit children.

A supporting quote from Brigham Young would be this: "the Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming Gods like himself...We are created to become Gods like unto our Father in heaven.” (Journal of Discourses, 3:93)

So, having that all being said (and if I'm wrong, please correct me), how does the Mormon Church interpret Isaiah 43:10?

Hi, Isaiah in this chapter is speaking of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the Old Testament Jehovah and is different than our Father in Heaven who was the OT "Elohim." We believe that the Godhead consists of 3 distinct beings, God the Father, Jesus the Christ and the Holy Ghost. That scripture is referring to Jesus coming to earth. It can seem confusing....