Bible and Book of Mormon

They are equally valued by us. Imagine receiving a letter from your father whom you haven't seen in a very long time. You cherish his words. Then you receive another letter after another long time with more to offer and compliment the first. Would you throw it out and say, "no thanks, the first letter is enough?" No, you cherish the other letter.

I also wish to add that the second letter, as I describe in my analogy is much more specifically written for us as a witness of Christ and his mission and divinity. It is filled with very important messages and by adhering to its precepts we can come closer to Father in Heaven that by reading any other book. Joseph Smith the prophet said, "I told the brethren, that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."

Keystone because:

1. It is a testimony of the life of Jesus Christ

2. It contains the fullness of the gospel:

D&C 42: 12

12 And again, the elders, priests and teachers of this church shall teach the principles of my gospel, which are in the Bible and the Book of Mormon, in the which is the fulness of the gospel.

3. It was written for our us:

Moroni 1: 4

4 Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things, that perhaps they may be of worth unto my brethren, the Lamanites, in some future day, according to the will of the Lord.

Mormon 8: 35

35 Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.

Mormon 9: 30

30 Behold, I speak unto you as though I spake from the dead; for I know that ye shall have my words.

Edited by skalenfehl

did you lose the web site I mentioned to you....perhaps you should share with the person above you....:)

Are you being sarcastic ? Maybe you should give them the link seeing as that you only gave it to me a few hours ago and i have had little time to become familiar with it .. And you being a member would know how to direct him ...Right ..

Edited by AndrewCothran

I will also note that the Book of Mormon can be said to shed more light on the Bible, explaining it more plainly. Going along with that you will rarely (?) find a Mormon that views anything as contradictory in the Bible and Book of Mormon. That is generally the viewpoint of persons looking on the outside in at our scripture traditions. The Bible and Book of Mormon work together, as well as with the Doctrine & Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, and modern revelation. Things aren't contradictory to us; we just say there is more to learn, and we search for the reconciliation/ truth. And this is most often a personal search. Rarely, if ever, are strict interpretations of scriptures dictated to us. We come to our own understanding by being taught of the Lord.

Are you being sarcastic ? Maybe you should give them the link seeing as that you only gave it to me a few hours ago and i have had little time to become familiar with it .. And you being a member would know how to direct him ...Right ..

now why would i be sarcastic....i was asking you a question....trying to share information

They are equal in our eyes. Both the Bible and the Book of Mormon are our 'Standard Works' (meaning the standard we hold teachings up to) We go though a 4 year rotation in Sunday School, Year 1 we study the Old Testament, Year 2 we study the New Testament, Year 3 we study the Book of Mormon and Year 4 we study the Doctrine and Covenants.

i read in one of the theards on the Book of Mormon forum that even though there was a four year pattern in the church it should not be followed at home because not all scriptures are equal. Im not sure if it was a prophet or just a church thelogain that said it though but its on this site. and about the four year pattern if the Old testament is studied one year then the New then the Book of Mormon then D&C. when is pearl of great price studied

As a Latter Day Saint I love the Bible...especially the Gospels. I treasure all of the scriptures because they hold the keys to eternal life and are from God. The Book of Mormon is of special significance because it was preserved for our day and time and was brought forth to open the last and final dispensation of the fullness of times. It is our Fathers mission to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" and the Book of Mormon explains, clarifies and reinforces the message of salvation contained in the Bible and most importantly it is an additional witness of our Savior. It does not diminish the light provided by the Bible....it enhances it.

Ok i got another question is the Book of Mormon considered to be more important and greater then the Holy Bible or are the truths they teach equal.

I consider them to be equal. Although I consider the content of the Book of Mormon to be more pure(meaning not diluted by translations, interpretations, and time).

And if one condradicts the other which is considered more binding

Neither. The words of the current living prophet is binding.

When I first started going to services I was shocked that they talked about things from all the scriptures - Bible and Book of Mormon, and D&C and Pearl. I thought it was going to be only "All Book of Mormon" talk. After I joined, I heard talks with references from all the scriptures, including the Bible, including the Old Testament. There was a talk a few months ago and the speaker talked about Prophets from the Old Testament only.

There is no Bible bashing in this Church. The Book of Mormon and Bible complement each other. I do believe though that the Book of Mormon is for our time and is more correct than any other book in existence.

I love ALL scriptures. I remember my grandmother reading Isaiah since I can rememeber so I love the OT as well as the NT.

I must admit, however, that I tend to be a bit partial towards the BoM. I find the doctrine in the BoM explained and detailed with a degree of clarity, specificity and theological certainty that it is not found in the bible. In short, the bible has passages that can be (and often are) interpreted in diverse ways by different Christian denominations. The BoM has no ambiguity. You may not agree with a specific doctrine but there is no room for misunderstandings. I also think that it is a much stronger witness of the Savior. Again, just my bias.

I study from time to time so-called reputedly solid lists of Bible/Book of Mormon contradictions. In my study i have found the key ones i know of have been resolved by others research. Restoration apologetics can be dumb as i have had to stumble upon one hard to get book resolving such stuff. One Behalf of Christ's Restored Gospel an Reorganized LDS book has an essay resolving such a list. And LDS apologetic books have not yet as far as i can tell taken on such lists.

Contradictions lists are common ploys in some counter-cult literature. I am hoping FAIR through its wiki will eventually deal with such lists. They have answers to long lists of Anti-Mormon Questions. But so far have not delved into contradiction lists. It is not as i say that i find the lists unsolveable but lack of common research on the topic.

What happens is Evangelicals are at an advantage as they commonly circulated their lists. So such ends up in some of their apologetic books and websites. LDS however by not beating up on these lists have no easy to find answers. So persons end up mistakenly thinking these lists might be true.

• 3 weeks later...

Mixed feelings: I believe Jesus was born in Bethlehem rather than Jerusalem. Sometimes people get hung up on slogans such as "most correct". Why not, as Maidservant suggested, use them both to seek for truth?

Do you believe there is a contradiction that you have to chose to believe he was born in Bethlehem??

Please reread the verse you are alluding to. It says he was born "AT Jerusalem the LAND of our forefathers."

There are Biblical verses that also refer the the area surrounding Jerusalem as "Jerusalem". Don't be confused with the lies of supposed Christians about the Book of Mormon.

Funny thing happened at the Protestant Bible study I conduct with our ladies on Thursday. We were talking about marriage in heaven, based upon Mark 12, and one of the inmates says, "We have a new student...and she's LDS." I asked her to briefly explain the LDS teaching on Eternal Marriage, we segued into a discussion about "sealing," which further segued into a discussion about the Bible.

It was a pleasant discussion, in that I used the time to expose all the student to very general LDS, Catholic and Protestant teaching--trying my best not to be in the position of authoratively speaking for other faiths. LOL

In any casey, the LDS inmate starting discussing the difficulties I've often heard mentioned here...that the Bible has too many translations, too many interpretations, and so much that is missing due to the corrupt canonization process. I said,

"But you love the Bible right? It's part of your canon, or Scripture, and you treasure it greatly?"

She was quick to concur. But there it is, again and again...We love it, but...

I still can't help perceiving that for many LDS, the Bible is the runt of the Quad.

In any casey, the LDS inmate starting discussing the difficulties I've often heard mentioned here...that the Bible has too many translations, too many interpretations, and so much that is missing due to the corrupt canonization process. I said,

"But you love the Bible right? It's part of your canon, or Scripture, and you treasure it greatly?"

She was quick to concur. But there it is, again and again...We love it, but...

I still can't help perceiving that for many LDS, the Bible is the runt of the Quad.

Greetings Prisonchaplain!

Whatever post of yours that I've read, I have appreciated your always respectful tone. Thank you. :)

I think the "but" in that sentiment is "...as long as it has been translated correctly". What that means is that we don't just accept any translation of the Bible or any interpretation. When the truth of the Bible is understood correctly (for LDS, correctly means within the context of the LDS faith), then it is cherished as much as any other scripture. However, I do not perceive the Bible as being the runt. So, really, any issue that might exist is not with the Bible, per se, but with it's various translations and/or interpretations. The 8th Article of Faith says it more succintly, as another poster already pointed out. As far as the Bible is translated correctly, we believe it is the word of God. When human errors have crept in and modified the Bible, we do not believe those human errors and modifications to be the word of God. And, if you think about it, this makes sense and it should be the standard for any Christian religion, in my opinion.

Kind Regards,

Finrock