Guest bat

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HolyFetch - Mormon Urban Legend Site - No rainbows before Second Coming

No rainbow will appear for 1 year before the Second Coming

Undetermined

Many members let out a sigh of relief ever time they see a rainbow- but should they? The claim many members make that no rainbows will appear on the earth for one year before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is based on quotes from the prophet Joseph Smith.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843-44, p.305

The Lord deals with this people as a tender parent with a child, communicating light and intelligence and the knowledge of his ways as they can bear it. The inhabitants of the earth are asleep; they know not the day of their visitation. The Lord hath set the bow in the cloud for a sign that while it shall be seen, seed time and harvest, summer and winter shall not fail; but when it shall disappear woe to that generation, for behold the end cometh quickly.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843-44, p.340

I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year: but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843-44, p.341

But I will take the responsibility upon myself to prophesy in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come this year, as Father Miller has prophesied, for we have seen the bow; and I also prophesy, in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come in forty years; and if God ever spoke by my mouth, He will not come in that length of time. Brethren, when you go home, write it down, that it may be remembered.

From the above quotes from Joseph Smith, it would appear that this is a true myth. The reason it is marked "undetermined" is because we do not know if Smith’s comments were to be taken literally or more figuratively.

It has been speculated by members that there are many ways in which a rainbow could not appear: God could change the laws of refraction (he created the world after all), a severe drought could cause no rainbows, or perhaps our eyes will be focused on worldly things and we will just not notice the rainbows.

Many members look at these comments more figuratively and don’t believe that every time they see a rainbow, they have another year to prepare for His coming. Why, because no man knows the day or hour...

I think we have to look at it firguratively.

Even before the times of Noah, there had to have been rainbows. In other words Noah's, wasn't the first.

Take it as an analogy, kind of like the fig tree's leaves.

Edited by mrmarklin

Guest Sachi001

Dude, nobody has those.

The Lord deals with this people as a tender parent with a child, communicating light and intelligence and the knowledge of his ways as they can bear it. The inhabitants of the earth are asleep; they know not the day of their visitation. The Lord hath set the bow in the cloud for a sign that while it shall be seen, seed time and harvest, summer and winter shall not fail; but when it shall disappear, woe to that generation, for behold the end cometh quickly.

(Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 305.)

I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, "In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year: but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.

(Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 340.)

The next paragraph is very enlightening:

But I will take the responsibility upon myself to prophesy in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come this year, as Father Miller has prophesied, for we have seen the bow; and I also prophesy, in the name of the Lord, that Christ will not come in forty years; and if God ever spoke by my mouth, He will not come in that length of time. Brethren, when you go home, write it down, that it may be remembered.

Gee, I wonder how he knew that. :rolleyes:

http://lds.org/languages/teachingspresidents/jsmith/TPTC_2008_JosephSmith_25_21_TheSecondComing_36481_eng_025.pdf

You can go to lds.org and type in the search box "Teachings of tthe Presidents". It will direct you to another page with all the manuals from such along with Ensigns, Gospel Doctrines, etc...

Chapter 21 in ToP by JS states the following:

“I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, ‘In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year: but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant.’ ”10

Judah must return, Jerusalem must be rebuilt, and the temple, and water come out from under the temple, and the waters of the Dead Sea be healed [see Ezekiel 47:1–9]. It will take some time to rebuild the walls of the city and the temple, etc.; and all this must be done before the Son of Man will make His appearance. There will be wars and rumors of wars, signs in the heavens above and on the earth beneath, the sun turned into darkness and the moon to blood, earthquakes in divers places, the seas heaving beyond their bounds; then will appear one grand sign of the Son of Man in heaven. But what will the world do? They will say it is a planet, a comet, etc. But the Son of Man will come as the sign of the coming of the Son of Man, which will be as the light of the morning cometh out of the east [see Joseph Smith—Matthew 1:26].”11

JS does not say no rainbows for one year, but in any year that they no longer appear. That means world drought on the entire planet. It does not specify a time length. The temple must be built in Jerusalem, Wars. Then accompanied by the sun turning to darkness and the moon of blood. Ever been in a Volcanic eruption? Here in Hawaii when vog ( Sulfur Dioxide gases)from Kilauea gets bad. There are days when it's so thick you can not see the sun and at night the moon looks of blood. Also coming with volcano's is earthquakes and it doesn't rain while the vog is that thick especially on the tropic side that gets 210 inches a year. No rainbows. Therefore at times here it's like a mini end times. It's eerie plus many people have heart and lung problems increase up fold.

Edited by Sachi001

Don't ya'll think it is possible that God can make it so that our eyes will not be able to see rainbows when that time comes. The rainbows are still there - but our eyes are blinded so that we cannot see the rainbows.

I was once talking with a high priest about the sun when I was a youth and he made a very interesting comment. He said that because of the veil, we cannot see the true nature of the sun. We only see the sun in the way we can today because God has allowed to only see what we can see, but not see the true nature of the sun.

I'm going to close this thread. It's 7 years old. If someone would like to start a new one..please feel free. But we are quoting and responding to comments made7 years ago.

Edited by pam