I've been chatting over mormon.org with two missionaries from London.

I was lucky to be talking to a person named Phillip from London, and also his friend Katie.

It's good because I'm able to keep contact with the same people who know where I'm at, what I'm thinking, what's going on in my life, etc etc.

Thought I'd share some of our conversation with you all; Conversation with Katie, Member of LDS Church, on Tuesday 30 September 8.30-9.30pm and Continued conversation with Katie (those links are just to my blog)

They've been a great help, and I urge anyone reading this who hasn't yet talked with Missionaries (either in their area or online) to do so. It's well worth it. :)

It's wonderful to feel there's someone thousands of miles way who actually cares about you, and wants to help you out, and so forth.

Just read your conversations. While no one is trying to push you too fast, don't let acne and clothes be the only thing keeping you away. I had terrible acne when I was a teen and it never did get treated - finally went away in my 20's, I have scars today from it. As far as clothes most younger guys and many older guys wear slacks (either dress pants or something like Dockers), also a nice shirt and tie, if you have that, you'll blend in just fine. We do have people that come in jeans, but I'll admit its rare. "Sunday best" just means the best of what you have, and we wear that out of respect to God, not for the approval of others. Its usually the older guys like me that wear a suit (I'm 52). Missionaries do too but for them its the dress code.

I'm not trying to push, but just wanted to let you know that those 2 things should not be the only thing stopping you.

Brenton,

If you ever get to an LDS chapel, I would love to hear your thoughts.

I sort of feel LDS come across to me at least as very culturally american. I still remember meeting some LDS misso's up in my home town (Swan Hill), one of our girls inivited them back to a home group (informal church meeting at a home) my church was running. It was 40 plus day (110+ F) day and they looked they were exhausted from the heat.

Good luck mate, I hope you find a real connection to our Father and Jesus in your searching.

Edited by AnthonyB

They've been a great help, and I urge anyone reading this who hasn't yet talked with Missionaries (either in their area or online) to do so. It's well worth it. :)

It's wonderful to feel there's someone thousands of miles way who actually cares about you, and wants to help you out, and so forth.

Wow, your words almost brings tears to my eyes. Way to go Brenton!

Wow, your words almost brings tears to my eyes. Way to go Brenton!

That's okay. :)

I've been in tears a lot recently.

Just read your conversations. While no one is trying to push you too fast, don't let acne and clothes be the only thing keeping you away. I had terrible acne when I was a teen and it never did get treated - finally went away in my 20's, I have scars today from it. As far as clothes most younger guys and many older guys wear slacks (either dress pants or something like Dockers), also a nice shirt and tie, if you have that, you'll blend in just fine. We do have people that come in jeans, but I'll admit its rare. "Sunday best" just means the best of what you have, and we wear that out of respect to God, not for the approval of others. Its usually the older guys like me that wear a suit (I'm 52). Missionaries do too but for them its the dress code.

I'm not trying to push, but just wanted to let you know that those 2 things should not be the only thing stopping you.

I understand perfectly. I'm actually kinda surprised you didnt recite the "mantra" of "perfect church, imperfect people". In my area (Warrnambool, for those interested) the only close LDS church is the one in this town [few blocks away actually] and ... I just wouldn't want to leave a bad lasting impression, because I'd have nowhere else to go.

But I'm sure you're all right in that they'll be great people.

Other things is ... I just hope there's other people there that are around my age. hahaha!

Edited by Brenton

Just read your conversations with Katie.

Thank you so much for posting those, I was very touched.

And thank you for being honest about being gay. You have such courage to share that.

You must be very concerned about having to "face the truth" of the gospel, as I can tell that is one thing that you are struggling with. If you accept the Book of Mormon and it's teachings as true, then you will be held accountable, and that scares you. I know, it scared me to and I almost ran away from it. I am not gay, but I did have some very serious habitual sins along those same lines, but I knew in my heart the gospel was true and so I just took the missionary discussions and joined the church. It wasn't easy, and those old feelings and habits were a constant battle for me for a long time, but I knew, even if sometimes I fell, that Heavenly Father loved me for always getting back up and trying again and again. I decided that I wanted to love my Jesus, my true Christ, more than anything... I'm still working on it, but my love for Him is always growing.

Some people, like Paul in the Bible and Alma the younger, convert instantly and almost totally, some, however, take a little longer and have more struggles. I hope you are like Alma the younger, but no matter what, you are a child of God and all things are possible by Him and through his son, Jesus Christ.

Good luck, and thanks so much for sharing your conversation with us! :)

[...]thank you for being honest about being gay.

[...]all things are possible by Him and through his son, Jesus Christ.

Sometimes I have inclinations that I'm really not gay. I really do.

Through my life, I've had it sort of "bred" into me by my peers... who would use the insult "you're gay" [etc] against me from a very young age...

But anyway, I'll just see where this leads me.

Brenton -- I just read your talks with the missionaries. Wow! Thanks for sharing them with us!!:)

Just through reading those conversations I can feel the Spirit. I also feel you listening. How wonderful.

I know it's scarey. It scared me at first also. I don't know why. I had had experiences in my life that left me feeling that there was no God and I was very bitter for many years. When I finally came to the point you are at now -- I guess I was afraid that eventually I would find out that all this wonderful stuff I was discovering would end up being false. I've been a member for almost 4 years and my testimony has grown. I also had a moment kind of like yours when I realized I was a child of God and what that meant. It thrilled me to have that revelation.

I think as new converts we can all have moments, in the beginning, when we are scared for one reason or another.

I just have to add -- about your Sunday best -- in the part of the U.S. where I live we have a lot of cowboys and it's not uncommon for their Sunday best to be a nice pair of Wrangler jeans and a nicely ironed shirt. If they have a calling in the Bishopric or some other presidency then they wear a suit.

About the changes you'll be expected to make. We all have had to make changes in our lives when we were baptized and took the name of Jesus upon ourselves. The good part about these changes -- we've never been alone in making those changes -- the Great Comforter will be with us/you all the time.

I know that all of us here wish that we could take you to Church and fellowship with you and because I know that we feel that way -- I know that Ward members where you go will be just as excited having you there and will help you.:)

Now as a motherly figure:lol: I'm telling you to just go!:lol:

FYI -- if you're interested, go to my profile and read my conversion story.

Brenton,

I am loving reading your posts. Thanks for sharing with us your journey and a little of your feelings. I really feel edified by everyones contributions.

God will teach us the truth of all things....including the truth about our sexuality. I hope you find confirmation of the truth you seek, and also the strength to continue on that path.

Best and heartfelt wishes, MHW

Brenton..... I just read your chat with Katie....and I felt the same tearful emotions that you felt. That is the Holy Spirit and it touches us all in different ways at different times. Thanks for sharing....if you continue searching for God he will reach out to you and the experience you had will be just the beginning........it's a great journey that leads to all truth and fills us with a peace beyond description. :cool: