I never knew...

I used to think Baptists were similar to pentecostals.....until I attended a church service and chatted religion with a few people...this particular Baptist church was kinda traditionalist. When you put the word ALL in front of any religion you kind of skew things a little. The members of any church are as different as snowflakes.

There are all kinds of opinions out there. I was amazed the other day when I was told that I did not believe in Jesus. I said "Yes, I do",

"Well, not the same Jesus, or the right Jesus then".

This is the kind of rhetoric that goes on nowadays. So many people expounding what they're specific Church teaches, each claiming to be 'the one'

Many Churches seem more enclined to attack other Christian Churches. They would rather attack another faith rather than go out and attempt to talk to an atheist about God. All Churches have something about them that someone is not going to agree with, but to label LDS as worshipping a false God is ridiculous.

The same questions of faith endure. Eternal slavation? Predestination? Speaking in tongues? all the way down to what a person chooses to wear in Church. A little over the top isn't it. My Father belong to one of the "Super Churches" down South. It is of a Baptist denomination. But I cannot help but to wonder if Jesus came back today , what would he think? Are these super churches any semblence of Christ original Church? I don't know. But do I think Baptist are going to hell over it? No, not at all.

What I really enjoy is when you are told that you believe in a false God, or Jesus, by a person who attends that big Church that teaches that great new doctrine called the Doctrine of prosperity. They all line up like rats at the feeder bar for prosperity. Rather than worship God as our creator and Heavenly Father, they are more concerned wether or not God allows them to drive a Cadillac. You have to love that!

Just be happy in knowing that you worship your loving Heavenly Father. Let those naysayers take a number and stand in line.

Guest JHM-in-Bountiful

Half of my family are LDS members, the other half are Baptists. I have an aunt who prays often that my brother and I will see the so-called "evils" of the church and leave. I guess you can say part of her prayer was answered. At one point I did leave and had my name removed from the church records. Much to her dismay, I got re-baptized this past July. My Baptist side of my family seems to be very closed minded when it comes to any other religion. They even put down the Catholic faith. Alot of the baptists think our faith is Satanic and we will all burn in Hell. They do not understand the concept of pre-mortality existance and God, Jesus, & the holy spirit being 3 seperate beings.

I live in the deep south and Southern Baptist is the predominant religion here and they have some very strong opinions regarding our faith.

Check this out:(from Media matters)

Examples of conservative and evangelical rejections of Mormonism are numerous and widespread. One of the most public slights of Mormons by evangelicals occurred during the 2004 National Day of Prayer, when Mormons were barred from conducting services during National Day of Prayer ceremonies by the group's task force chairwoman, Shirley Dobson, the wife of Focus on the Family founder and chairman James C. Dobson.

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), America's second-largest religious community after Catholicism, has declared Mormonism to be a cult. The SBC's North American Mission Board's web page of "free resources on cults & sects" contains a section on "Mormons and Mormon Doctrine." Mormonism is listed on the page alongside other supposed cults like the Nation of Islam and the Church of Scientology.

The SBC's official news service, BP News, highlighted the denomination's rejection of Mormonism with a September 23, 2005, article that began:

For the past 150 years Mormonism has been in conflict with biblical, historic Christianity.

But leaders of Mormonism -- officially known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- have in recent years downplayed the cult's divergence from traditional Christianity and now portray it as merely another form of the biblical faith.

Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network has also identified Mormonism as a cult. A 1992 CBN pamphlet entitled "Cults" reportedly declared:

"A cult is any group that has a form of godliness, but does not recognize Jesus Christ as the unique son of God."....."One test of a cult is that it often does not strictly teach that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God who Himself is God manifested in the flesh."......"Christian-oriented cults include the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), the Worldwide Church of God, Christian Science, Unity, Unitarianism, The Way International, Rosicrucian Society of America, Bahai, Hare Krishna, Scientology, the Unification Church, and the Jehovah's Witnesses."

In a "BreakPoint Commentary" delivered during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah -- an event directed by Romney -- ex-Watergate felon and Prison Fellowship Ministries founder Charles Colson criticized Mormonism as un-Christian. Colson concluded:

...Mormonism either affirms historic Christianity, or it doesn't. Since it doesn't, it can't call itself Christianity -- a fact that all the good will and public relations in Utah can't change.

One of Mormonism's most strident critics is D. James Kennedy, pastor of the 10,000-member Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Florida and president of Coral Ridge Ministries, an evangelical television and radio outlet with a lobbying arm in Washington called the Center for Reclaiming America. Kennedy's homes in on Mormonism in his book The Wolves Among Us. A description of the book from Coral Ridge Ministries' Resource Center:

It is a centuries-old problem: False prophets who lead the unwary astray with a perverted version of God's message to man. Dr. Kennedy presents three primary marks of a cult to help Christians understand, answer, and stop those who wear wool but inwardly are, as Jesus said, "ravenous wolves." In addition, The Wolves Among Us looks at Mormonism, the Unity School of Christianity, Unitarianism, Christian Science, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Freemasonry.

Edited by bytor2112

I attended a Baptist sermon with a friend one time where the preacher said "Mormons worship Joseph Smith," among many other things.

The members of those churches who have preachers preaching this stuff over the pulpit really have no inclination to doubt what their preacher says.

Most of the time the members of those churches don't even realize what was said. I mentioned to my friend afterward that "Everytime I attend a Baptist sermon they say something negative about my church."

He said, "Oh, really? What was said that was negative?"

Are you serious?!

The things that should go in one ear and out the other end up going in one ear and staying.

Why any church has to teach what other churches teach, good or bad, is beyond me. From the pulpit they should preach Christ... period!

Edited by Justice

The #1 justification for the charge that we don't believe in God is the fact that we don't subscribe to the Trinity as they do.

My sister was once married to a guy who was, sort of, a minister for their congregation which considered themselves an offshoot of Baptists. For a time he tried to convert me, even sending me a tract titled "Do Mormons Worship Another Jesus?" and on the front panel was a picture of Jesus but with red eyes, fangs, and flame in the background.

It would have been funny if it didn't strike me as blasphemy.

I think the real reason is that they want to dismiss us as fellow Christians and yet account somehow for the fact that we profess a faith in the same Jesus of Nazareth as they do. (It's not like there was more than one.) When all logical arguments fail, turn to the illogical.

Remember, guys, at the end of the day it's less about trying to define the reality of our faith as it is an excuse for them to dismiss it.

"Mormons aren't Christians."

"But they believe in Jesus!"

"Ah! But it's a DIFFERENT Jesus."

"Ohh okay I feel better now."

It really is, tragically, that simple.

Our faith is one of accountability and personal responsibility and we take literally the charge to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling and " if you love me, keep my commandments." This severely challenges their notion of "grace" only. In the Southern Baptist world....acceptance of Christ as your personal Savior is all that is required to be received back in the Lord's presence.....not activity, or obedience to commandments, or covenants....just being saved. It is a free gift. I am a former Southern Baptist and I was "saved".....and a Christian....though you would never have known it because I didn't attend church or live a Christian lifestyle.....but I was saved anyway and that was cool......because once your saved....your always saved. I could live as I chose and sleep well at night knowing that I was going to heaven.:cool:

I've worked with many other people of different Christian faiths and had many discussions about the view about this.

I will add this new wrinkle that hasn't been brought up here.

Most other mainstream Christian faiths believe 100% in the grace of Jesus Christ and that all those that have taken upon his name, and been saved, are "Christian".

Here is the rub.

LDS people can say the above, but the problem comes up in the "works" doctrine. LDS feel that after we have been saved, we must do good works to ensure our salvation.

Christians look at that view as degrading and derogatory to Jesus. If we have truly put ourselves in his hands, it s arrogant of us to think that we could do anything after this point to supersede what Christ has done. In a conversation, as soon as you mention obediance or endure to the end, or follow our leaders, you convince them that you are not a Christian.

However, if you tell them that you are 100% in Christs hands and by being there, you want to be a good person and do good things, it helps the conversation.

The funny thing is, that there are more LDS Scriptures pointing towards 'grace' as a doctrine and not 'works' that it is hard to have this conversation without turning to "non-standard-works" sources of doctrine.

I am so grateful that LDS church leaders do not practice the criticism of any other religion. I am impressed that we instead pray for people of other faiths and even those among us who have gone against ranks.

I believe that, rather than putting down other's beliefs, we, as a whole, focus on what is true. It is such a better take than the negativity of criticism.

It hurts when I am criticized by other people concerning my beliefs. I have felt it much more since I married my husband, who is a member of another faith. I have experienced much bitterness and biasedness towards myself as a result. It is such a vulnerable feeling when others take potshots at me regarding this.

All I can say is that I know I feel the Spirit through the Church of Jesus Christ of LDS, that I believe the covenants I made in baptism and in the temple are authentic, and that God works in my life through this religion. I am so happy to be a member! I'm happy to share that with anyone who is sincerely seeking/open to hearing about my beliefs!! I also always want to respect and find the positive and commonalities of those who believe differently than I.

I was Baptist before I joined the church. I was stunned to know that baptist believe that Jesus and God are the same person. I went there all my life and always knew God and Jesus were 2 different entities. My goodness, when Jesus was baptized God spoke to him from heaven! Who was Jesus praying to if he was God?

After I joined the church i also heard my own mother say that we worship 2 different Jesus'! She calls the standard picture we use as the "Mormon Jesus" !

Aren't Baptists the same "organisation" that run that God Hates Fags, God Hates America, God Hates Sweden stuff? ... thought I'm pretty sure Fred Phelps isnt connected officially to the Baptist organisation...

She calls the standard picture we use as the "Mormon Jesus" !

Almost sounds like she has watched a certain "documentary" about the mormon church.

Aren't Baptists the same "organisation" that run that God Hates Fags, God Hates America, God Hates Sweden stuff? ... thought I'm pretty sure Fred Phelps isnt connected officially to the Baptist organisation...

Almost sounds like she has watched a certain "documentary" about the mormon church.

IN fairness, NO! Anyone can claim to be an "independent Baptist." Yes, his church is Westboro Baptist, but NO, absolutely not...he's not connected with any major Baptist denomination.

Curious how they cling to a few scriptures and ignore the rest.......:confused:

So. this statement is a curiosity to me. When there are many many scriptures in the NT and the BOM that are fairly plain on the "Grace" side, in the NT, as far as I can remember, there is only one vague reference in Timothy to how works play into it. Then take into account the history of Timothy compared with the works and council of the other NT apostles, and it is very clear that there is much more evidence for their views, than ours.

When I used to discuss "grace" with people of a different faith, I would approach the discussion as if we disagreed. When I grew older and *wiser* I realized that this was not true. LDS doctrine is very specific that we are saved by grace. If every single person who ever lived matured to be a righteous follower of Christ, abounding in good works, the combined good works of all people would not be enough to save any one person.

It is only through and in Christ that we are saved.

So, how do works enter the picture?

Obviously, one's understanding of saved and grace are the real keys. But, even without this understanding, the New Testament answers this question of works.

John 14:

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 15:

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

To show this a different way:

Matthew 22:

36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

To be crystal clear, we too can ask of Christ, who is my neighbor?

Luke 10:

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

Christ answered with the story of the Good Samaritan. Christ did not answer his question with a direct answer of "who" this man's neighbor is, but with a story showing "what it means to be a neighbor," even to an enemy.

With these scriptures, everyone will agree that Christ teaches, even commands, that we keep His commandments, which are to love God and to love our fellow man... if we love Him. If implies that if we do not keep His commandments then we do not love Him. It's not that "if" you keep His commandments you are saved, and if you do not you are not, but it is if you keep His commandments you love Him.

Luke 6:

46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

If we call Him Lord then we believe Him, or believe in Him, enough that we believe what He says. He says to love our fellow men. If we do not, we cannot call Him Lord, or if by doing so we are hypocrites:

John 15:

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.

So, the standard scripture that teaches whoever believes in Him will be saved, is implying this kind of belief:

John 3:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So, it's not a belief we can contain in our hearts and not show.

Matt. 5:

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

And, if there is any question about works, grace, love, belief and commandments at this point, there is a scripture that neatly ties the whole package together. To clarify what the light is:

Matt. 5:

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

There is no disputing this scripture chain. We are judged by our works, whether they be light, as described above, or they be dark:

Eph. 5:

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Hmmm... If works of darkness are related to unfruitful works, I wonder of works of righteousness are compared to the white fruit Lehi saw? I'll leave that up to you to study. :)

Edited by Justice