mormon prophet and catholic pope

This must be an example of a very polite and " on topic " post that you speak of.

You know, you forgot to link the " wikipedia " info on LDS history. Maybe you can share some of those " not so pleasant " events in the LDS past as well.

Peace,

Ceeboo

As to the idea of all Popes being despicable people, I hope nobody got that impression. The significant majority were good men who stood for good things. Alexander VI was Pope in the era of -- surprise, surprise -- The Protestant Reformation!!

I think one of the matters that was mentioned was that if a Pope were a sinful man, he would not be removed. Pope Alexander VI the best example of this in the entire history of the Catholic Church and it provides a useful example of the differences between how Catholics view their Pope and how Latter Day Saints view their prophet. There is level of tolerance for a Pope that was a very very bad person. A few bad apples in the list compared to a large majority of Popes that were good men is something Catholics have deemed acceptable. The LDS Church would not be so forgiving.

There is are all sorts of implications hanging over virtually every single LDS prophet, but nothing completely outrageous has ever been proven. The fact that those implications continue to hang over us is understandable -- turns out that a lot of people out there hate Mormons. The worst thing that can easily be proven was Polygamy because there wasn't any real effort to hide it for the majority of the time it was practiced. The Bible does not support the contention that Polygamy is immoral, so that becomes a dead end as far as I'm concerned.

FYI -- taking a break and may not be able to reply.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to see that the sniping at each other's religion has continued.....and have reported this thread to the moderator's for their review and to hopefully close this permanently.

There have been many things said here that have been said in direct conflict of the site rules, which are there for good reason. It's not such a bad idea to read them from time to time...

my favourite Roman Catholic will always be Cardinal Basil Hume he was head of the Church in England and a man of the most amazing quiet faith - that man had Christ's image in his countenance and an amazing spirit, if anyone could have convinced me to become Roman Catholic and actually heed the call to be a Nun it was him.

I just remember his bestfriend being interviewed after his death and talking about when the Cardinal had come to him and said he was dying and his friend had said oh congratulations, - for them it was a culmination of why they were here he was going home and a time for celebration rather than mourning. I can't remember the name of his friend but he seemed amazing too,

-Charley

The celibate priest issue is different - that is an administrative rule of the Church, not a dogmatic teaching. There are two married Roman Catholic priests in our local area - they were Anglican priests who converted to the Roman Catholic Church. The Pope is allowing them to stay priests even though they are married.

=?

Thank you for taking the time I am afraid my knowledge of Roman Catholcism is not what it should be given my background (Irish Catholic/Irish Prodestant/Scots Prebyterian)

this is not meant to cause contention what is the difference between dogma and administrative rule?

Is it like for us the word of wisdom - part of which is commandment, part if good advice?

It would be nice if this thread could be used to learn more

-Charley