Is this child abuse?

begood2

socializing with other children as well as the experiences interacting at different levels is essential in the healthy development of an individual. Children taken at an earlier age and isolated sometimes die because the feel so isolated and sad. Failure to thrive.

The little goddess I am sure will have many servants to tend to every whim, but still needs other children.

Child abuse, I think so.

I don't think so. It's part of their culture.

So is female circumcision, in some parts of the world. Doesn't make it automatically okay.

I guess it would depend on how she's treated while in "isolation", and how severe that isolation is, before I go throwing out the "abuse" label though. I guess she'll grow up always seeing it as "normal", but it still doesn't mean it's healthy.

just because something is part of a culture doesn't mean it right.

Very true. However I wasn't making a comment about the morality of it. I was simply answering wether it was abuse or not in relation to their culture. I rememberthere was that big thing in India where they would throw the children off the wall and catch them in the blanket. If it's part of their culture then obviously it wasn't child abuse. But wether or not is was morally right is a diferent question.

But, going a little off topic, when are they going to start holding children accountable for parental abuse?:D

It seems that she is not as isolated as the video clips claim.

I wouldn't want my daughter to be a kumari though.

eKantipur.com - Nepal's No.1 News Portal

Your article paints an entirely different picture than the one that most of us sees in the news. I can't imagine a three year old child having to spend a night alone in a room with bloody goat heads as a test to see if they qualify as a goddess to begin with, but your article .......if accurate has some good counter points of its own!

In a country where the majority are very poor.......the income given to them for life is a plus. The fact that most all of them do marry could be considered by some that they have adjusted socially........asumming that their spouse married them for who they are and not because of some arrangement or to share in this fixed annual income!

The article states that the family can visit their daughter whenever they want too.......which is another plus......assumming that the parents don't live a great distance away and have the means to get there on a regular basis for some good quality time!

It also states that these kids will also still be seeing the same teachers that they had before being chosen goddesses, but this is one of the points that makes me question the honesty of this article..........how many three years in this country go to school? Even pre-school? Then how about a country as poor as India?

We've all heard the expression...."if it sounds too good to be true.....then it probably is!" I just hope that this counter claim is being honest!

Edited by begood2