I'm a Home Teacher!

I found out today that, for the first time I've joined the Church, I've been assigned two or three families to home teach in a town near me!

So, give me some advice on being a home teacher! I've only had my home teachers for two months (two visits.)

So, what should I do to become a good home teacher? Those families are my responsibility, right? When a storm blows thru and their town gets him, I should call and ask if they are alright. Correct?

Thanks!

You can often find out first from your Quorum leader if there are any unknown things that need to be addressed to the family and then get to know the family to find a way to be helpful.

Do they have children who are active in school, band, sports, etc. Drop by every once in a while to watch. Means a lot to the family.

Ask a question and then listen, listen, listen.

Ben Raines

Guest JHM-in-Bountiful

Congrats on being a home teacher. It's been 18 years since I've done that. Recently, I've been trying to get a home teacher and to be a home teacher. It seems like my Elders quorum president is in no hurry to get me set up with those. I'm happy for you. Here is a link to a funny home teaching video from youtube. Again Congrats!

Theres lots yu will learn. but the most important thing to get started is to remember yu are home teaching for a reason; always do it in spirit and good fellowship. care about the family yu are teaching, always,always, always have a prayer with your companion before visiting a families home. And set an excample for all members, when saying the closing prayer by getting on your knees to heavenly father, remember its spirit,spirit,spirit.:)

Home teaching advice:

1) Set up appointments on the first of the month. That way, you can make accomodations when they're gone. If you wait 'til the end, the spirit isn't there as you have to rush everything.

2) The first time you meet your family, it will be awkward. Bring cookies, ice cream or something and let them know you care.

3) Care. Actually care.

4) Know that it is not up to your companion to ensure that home teaching gets done. If he can't do it, don't abandon your family. They need you.

Home teaching is the most important calling in the church. People need to know they're loved, that they're taken care of. I have heard some of the most heart-wrenching stories as a home teacher.

Hoosier, the recommended topic to share with families that you home teach is the Message from the First Presidency found in the front of the Ensign each month. For the months that have the conference reports your Bishop will recommend one or you can pick your own talk that you liked and feel will benefit the family you home teach.

Ben Raines

I found out today that, for the first time I've joined the Church, I've been assigned two or three families to home teach in a town near me!

So, give me some advice on being a home teacher! I've only had my home teachers for two months (two visits.)

So, what should I do to become a good home teacher? Those families are my responsibility, right? When a storm blows thru and their town gets him, I should call and ask if they are alright. Correct?

Thanks!

One word, cookies.

After reading this thread, I have a question. I had assumed that every active(and even some inactive) Melchizedek Priesthood holder had a home teaching assignment. Is that true? I know that's the way it's done in our ward and had assumed it was the same in every ward.

About my home teaching experience, I started doing home teaching back in May and since my companion never seemed to be available, I ended up dragging my wife along to do home teaching. When my nephew was baptized and ordained a teacher in July, he started accompanying me.

I usually print out a copy of the First Presidency message in the Liahona from LDS.org. I teach from it and then leave a copy. I know my teaching isn't very good, but I try. I enjoy getting out and visiting families, but I think I will have to try to cookies tip the next time I go out home teaching.

• 3 months later...

Let’s get up to date - you know how many times I've visited the three

families assigned to me? It's a big - ZERO! They were assigned back in October. It took me till November to meet my teaching companion. I work four nights on and four off. So my off days are always changing. My teaching companion is a super nice guy. He's an awesome guy. But we have not hooked up yet to meet the families. I've sent him via email my off days. I do this all the time. I've told him at services I want to go out and see the families. I tell him my off days. And yet - nothing yet.

What should I do? How am I to take this? Do the families not want me to visit them? Did they give my teaching companion a secret message saying - we don’t want that new guy visiting us! Does my teaching companion not want me to make visits with him?

The February edition of Ensign has an article on succeeding as a new convert. There is a quote from President Hinckley and he says all new members need three things - responsibility, the word of God, and a friend.

I think I have the first two covered. But I can't say anybody in the Ward has befriended me. Really, I have no friends in the Ward. And the funny thing is, or sad, is that one of my brothers and his girlfriend, who are not members, have become friends with members of my Ward when they hang out together at a fast food restaurant two or three times a week. How about that? My non-LDS brother and his girlfriend have made friends with Ward members when I have not! lol. How pathetic is that?

I know, don’t cry about it. I'm not allowed to cry about it. I'm not allowed to act desperate. So what do I do? Disappear? Disappear like I've never been on this earth?

Is it any wonder I can give the Church therapist a list with a million reasons why I feel bad? Is it any wonder I'm ready to give up and tell him I want anti-depressant drugs?

Hoosier, how often does your companions days off coinside with your days off?

Do you both work nights? If you don't, then why couldn't you HT a family or two in a night? Can't you reach him by phone, or corner him in Priesthood meeting - like with the EQ Pres right next to you??? Tell him you will make the appointments and you will pick him up. Then call him a few days before to make sure he is still on the same page as you. If he cops out on you - call the EQ Pres or EQ Sect and tell him you need someone to go with you. Then go. Make your appointments about 1 hour apart, and stick to the schedule.

I have to go with my Husband when he HT's - and we can only go on Sundays or Mondays. Our days off together. Once in a blue moon, IF I am given enough warning we can go on a Tues morning. Husband and I both work evening shifts- so night visiting is a no go. I work noon to 10pm, he leaves the house at 1:45pm to get to work on time.

We have started taking one of our Sisters to breakfast every third month on a Tues morning for HT/VT. Her dog absolutely hates me (and I am beginning to really hate him too :cool:)- so this is more calming and enjoyable for all concerned.

The other times, Husband goes alone and they visit outside on the porch/deck. It is cool enough right now, in the 70's. Can't do that in the summer.

Good luck, prayers are with you.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a problem with home teaching in our ward. I could never get any home teaching done until I took the advice of another member and that was to just get out and do it. It's hard when you are a new member to take the initiative when the older companion isn't getting it done.

How to get out and do it? Take your wife along. If you aren't married, take along an Aaronic Priesthood member(at least Teacher). Either way, get it done. Make a schedule with your companion by saying, look, I am visiting the so-and-so family next Thursday at 7pm. I can pick you up at your house or you can meet me there. Take along your extra companion in case he doesn't show. If he doesn't show, make it a point to let him know that you took someone along to do it, but you'd like to teach with him for the next family.

No need to rat him out to the EQ President, you just need to fulfill your calling. These families need your visit. They need the message that you are delivering.

• 3 weeks later...

I miss home teaching and as a home teaching coordinator, was one of the best experiences of my life. But the emphasis and importance, I have noticed, is different from stake to stake and ward to ward. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. 7th Ward, in Glendale, California placed a special importance on home teaching. Maybe that's why I feel the way I do about it.

During the time I was inactive, I would request that the home teachers assigned to me would still come and visit. The problem was a person can tell when an individual is just going through the motions because he/she has to fulfill the obligations of their calling. My wife and I asked ourselves what the point was afterwards sometimes because we could tell that the priesthood holders administering the lesson's heart and spirit was not really into the visit. And that if choice was given; they would rather be else where. And in truth, was one of the reasons I had problems transitioning from a ward I was so attached to in California, to the unfamiliar Chicago 1st Ward. I can tell you that having home teachers that showed genuine interest in my spiritual and overall well being during that transition time would have helped tremendously.

Sorry for the long post. Point is in home teaching, is don't fulfill your calling just to do it and get it out of the way. Take an earnest and genuine interest in the families you are responsible for. Instead of that phone call, show up at their house and show that that you care. And for that difficult companion, I would speak with EQ President at some point, but I would like Rico said find ways to fulfill you calling. Just make sure it's for the right reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Being a home teacher is absolutely wonderful, if done correctly. I love home teaching. Yes, I know I am weird but I do. You are in the position to really help people and to be a friend. You asked for some suggestions:

1) Give each member of the family a challenge for growth

It does not always have to be religious. For example, one of the members of a family I home teach was failing a class, I just asked him to set some goals and would follow up on the goals he set each week.

2) Listen verbally and non-verbal

Don't assume everything is ok. There are a lot of people that don't share their feelings or their struggles so you really have to watch for the non-verbal cues.

3) Don't wait until the last minute

There is nothing more frustrating and aggravating to someone to feel like they are only being visited because you have to. Go on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Sunday. This already shows your different than most home teachers and instant trust can be gained.

4) Don't be all about business become a friend

Yes, your supposed to share a message and be spiritual strength but a lot of strength can come to a person that really becomes a friend.

5) Love them

Develop love for them. Help them. Don't ask what they need help with. Look for ways to help them. Then when they are really in need, they will call you.

6) Be prepared

Don't wait until the last minute to study the First Presidency lesson. Read it and pray about it to figure how you can cater the message to the family.

7) Don't neglect the kids

How boring to sit and listen to a bunch of grown-ups talk. Yes, you need to talk but don't forget them. Cater every other lesson to them. Get down on your knees and speak eye to eye.

If you do all of these, you will be considered the Superman of home teaching. Also, great blessings will come to you for your faithfulness.