I'm a Home Teacher!

Yes, a person can always turn to Heavenly Father. That is always the first person but don't be surprised if the answer comes from a home teacher. At least, this is the full intent of home teaching. I sure wished people could catch the real vision behind home teaching. It really is an inspiration.

I've lived in this place for a year and have not had a visit. The HT is my Bishop. Again I certainly don't make it easy for him to visit either. Not that he hasn't tried. I work nights when he is available.

It's easy sometimes to place blame on a HT...but in my case..I take all responsibility for him not being able to visit.

Now I'm not saying this is the case in all instances. I just think sometimes we place way too much blame on those trying to do their home teaching when it's really us that make it quite difficult.

Pam, I wished this was the case for most home teachers. Really trying but schedules just don't work out.

A good home teacher will not let it lie. If you try to get into the home, and it is not working out. Figure out what will! There has been a few times I have missed but when I do, I call them on the phone. I ask them how they are doing on their goals. How is the job? Are they still financially ok? When would be a good time to come and do some service, etc. You don't have to always get in the home to be a good home teacher. You have to show that you care. Show that you want to help. If they need their grass mowed, they don't have to be home. Just Do IT!

It is far to easy to say, " I tried but was not able to get ahold of them." This is sometimes very true but for the most part it is the escape goat. I tried, (translation: I drove by the house or called once and you weren't home)

I am sorry, I don't see much of a good excuse for not doing your home teaching. Again, if you try to get in the home and do not succeed, be creative and help them, show them you care. The point is, be a friend and not a phony friend.

I remember there was this corner of Texas that was part of the mission that I served in. Everyone wanted to go there because there was a new person or family baptized almost every week -- which is almost unheard of anywhere in the South. There was one thing that set that ward apart from all others in the mission: 100% Home Teaching, 100% Visiting Teaching, consistently, without fail.

I know of all the excuses because I've used them myself. But when it comes down to it, I don't think members of the Church fully realize what impact Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching can have. And even those who realize it's importance can and do forget to do it.