Can't get through Twilight

Elphaba

Okay, please don't anyone throw tomatoes at me.

I made it about halfway through Twilight, and just could not get into it. I think the problem may be like what happens with a movie everyone raves about. By the time I see it, it can't possibly meet my expectations, and I don't see what everyone else did.

So, is that possible? Because after I had stopped reading it, I gave it to my mom to read, and she finished it in three days! Also, she told me I had not read far enough into the book to the really good part.

So what I want to know is, is she right? Does it get better after about halfway through it? Or am I just being a total book snob?

Elphie

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read the book, but just in general, if I get halfway through a book, and I'm not excited by it, or anxious to know how it ends, I would not continue. Actually, I would not have stayed with it for that long. Besides, why would a book wait till it was half finished before putting in some good parts? What would keep you reading, if there weren't good parts?

:D

Okay, please don't anyone throw tomatoes at me.

I made it about halfway through Twilight, and just could not get into it. I think the problem may be like what happens with a movie everyone raves about. By the time I see it, it can't possibly meet my expectations, and I don't see what everyone else did.

So, is that possible? Because after I had stopped reading it, I gave it to my mom to read, and she finished it in three days! Also, she told me I had not read far enough into the book to the really good part.

So what I want to know is, is she right? Does it get better after about halfway through it? Or am I just being a total book snob?

Elphie

I would rather throw snowballs.....:D

I think the books are pretty cool. I think they were cooler while i was reading them than they are thinking about them. I had my husband reading them and he kept asking when something was going to happen and I couldn't really give him an answer hahaha. But they still kept me entertained!! I don't know I think I just like every book I ever read.

I felt the same way about Harry Potter - although I finished that, but only because I promised my friends I would. My problem is, when I've read really GREAT literature (ie Dune, Pride & Prejudice, Great Excpectations) it's hard for anything else to measure up. Then again, when you have middle-aged adults thinking a series of children's novels are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Well, I feel much better now, knowing I’m not alone in my snobbiness.

I think what I’m going to do is read the last chapter, and if it catches me, I’ll muddle through it.

Puff, this is for you:

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Thanks everyone.

Elphie

Well, I feel much better now, knowing I’m not alone in my snobbiness.

I think what I’m going to do is read the last chapter, and if it catches me, I’ll muddle through it.

Puff, this is for you:

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Thanks everyone.

Elphie

Hee hee :D Bi-la kaifa

Let's see, I think I've read Dune 6 times and the whole series (Dune - Chapterhouse) 4 times? I'm a bit of a fanatic....

More power to book snobs! There is so much worthless stuff out there.

I can sort of see why a lot of people like the Twilight series. A girl friend forced me to read them. She practically held a gun to my head, and then was less than amused when I wasn't very impressed. I'm just so tired of the all-powerful vampires cliché. Ann Rice's books were better and they were even too much.

I did read Meyer's new book, The Host. That was better, and was fairly good sci-fi, other than the gaggy romance parts and where it drug on at times. :o

I couldn't get into Twilight either. I agree about Rice too -- better stories. I just don't find these kind of stories all that interesting anymore. If I want Sci-fi I still occasionally like Koontz. I laugh because he (koontz) will occasionally throw in Mormon missionaries knocking on the door.

Right now I'm reading "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" -- Oprah was talking about it and raving about it. I don't always agree on her picks but this book sounded kind of good. It only took about 30 pages to get me interested in the storyline. It has a great prologue that sets up the story nicely.

Happy book reading all!

Elph, I saw the lines and knew immediately that it was Dune. One of my favorite sci-fi movies. Never read the books but have been told by several I should.

Wow Ben, I'm impressed.

I liked the movie as well, but my husband had no idea what was going on. And I felt like I may not have either if I didn't know the story so well.

Yes, ABSOLUTELY you have to read the book. You already know the story, so you'll enjoy it all the more.

In fact, just talking about it makes me want to read it again. ;)

Elphaba