Can't get through Twilight

Elphaba

I admit I'm also a book snob because the Twilight books never interested me at all, as I wasn't interested when I read some pages at the bookstore. The Harry Potter books on the other hand, had my interest right away as they were good stories that also appealed to adults. Just so you know, the book Wicked was written for adult readers, so some parts were left out in order to make the musical family-friendly. Personally, I enjoyed the book, but most of what I read was written for adult readers.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, the book Wicked was written for adult readers, so some parts were left out in order to make the musical family-friendly. Personally, I enjoyed the book, but most of what I read was written for adult readers.

I think the only thing the musical took from the book is the names of the characters.

Elphaba

I just got finished reading Twilight, and I really don't see what the big freakin' deal about them is?? It took almost *400 pages* for any sort of real "conflict" to start, and then by page 455 it was over. I kept reading chapter after chapter waiting for some sort of actual plot line to start, and all I got was 50 pages near the end of anything remotely captivating.

Ya, needless to say I was *very* disappointed in the books. Although I *might* go and see the movie, just because it seems like they actually put a plot line into it. :lol:

And Viva la Queen of the Damned! :lol:

I have absolutely NO DESIRE to read these books at all. It's partly the vampire theme, partly the sci-fi theme, and partly that I don't like reading books just because everyone else does. In fact, I'm less likely to read a book (or series) that is fanatically popular because of its fanatical popularity. As such, I've never read the Harry Potter books, either.

I know I'm a book snob.

I have absolutely NO DESIRE to read these books at all. It's partly the vampire theme, partly the sci-fi theme, and partly that I don't like reading books just because everyone else does. In fact, I'm less likely to read a book (or series) that is fanatically popular because of its fanatical popularity. As such, I've never read the Harry Potter books, either.

I know I'm a book snob.

now we can all understand you better......:D:D:D

Apparently I am going to the movie as well.

I don't remember this discussion, but my daughter asked me if I wanted to go and I said yes. So we are on for Sunday afternoon.

Actually, I wonder if dislking the books so much will make the movie better. It's like when someone plays up a movie so much, you go see it, and it's horrible--only in reverse.:P

Elphaba

Apparently I am going to the movie as well.

I don't remember this discussion, but my daughter asked me if I wanted to go and I said yes. So we are on for Sunday afternoon.

Actually, I wonder if dislking the books so much will make the movie better. It's like when someone plays up a movie so much, you go see it, and it's horrible--only in reverse.:P

Elphaba

I hope you remember watching the movie after you see it.....:D

I think twilight was more of an introduction of all the characters. But i think that to be interested in a book you have to like it from the start. otherwise it's just pointless on reading something that didn't catch your attention from the start ya know?

But I read all four of em' during hurricane ike. our city was under strict cerfew, and had no power for one day, but some of our neighbors had no power for about two weeks!!! So with out tv or radio, i read! And finished the whole series!!

And i love em' but i will not be seeing the movie tomorrow, i'm going to let all the chaos die down a little bit!

Don't shoot the messenger here.. but just about every girl I know has read Twilight..

They all loved the firstbook.. and it went slowly down hill until the 4th book. It then hit a brick wall.. most of them haven't managed to finish the 4th book [said the author started to 'grasp at straws'].

Probably because it was meant to be a stand alone book turned series. Some books work out like that.. some don't. Unfortunately i'll be going to see the movie Friday night..

It can't be that bad can it? I'm hoping for something more than a vampire-chick flick.

Don't shoot the messenger here.. but just about every girl I know has read Twilight..

They all loved the firstbook.. and it went slowly down hill until the 4th book. It then hit a brick wall.. most of them haven't managed to finish the 4th book [said the author started to 'grasp at straws'].

Probably because it was meant to be a stand alone book turned series. Some books work out like that.. some don't. Unfortunately i'll be going to see the movie Friday night..

It can't be that bad can it? I'm hoping for something more than a vampire-chick flick.

4th book in the Twilight Series?

Saw the movie with my gf tonight.. save yourself alot of frustration and get there ~60 minutes late. The special effects were absolutely terrible. Major harness action going on.. the first 3/4 of the movie was hard to get through.

The last 20-30 minutes or so were excellent. Starting with the baseball scene and ending right before the hospital scene.

I'll give it a C-.. good acting [for the most part], attractive actors, terrible special effects/CFG (was there any..?), poor plot.

If you're a fan of the books go see it.. but don't have high expectations. A few claps.. a few boos.. and the occasional "meh, nothing better to do tonight anyways".

I enjoyed Twilight. Though about Meyer, I think she is a wonderful story teller (she's got the gift of gab) but her writing skills are well...hmmm... a little lacking. A better vocabulary and better sentence structure would have been welcome. It's simple. Effective, but simple. That's probably why people can just blast through them. I'm actually surprised this book was such a huge phenomenon. I guess that with as much love out there for vampires, no one has made one seem so kind and wonderful as Edward? There is always that appeal of first love, innocent love. Then the lure of being the only romantic interest to a man who is so powerful and gorgeous and humble all at the same time. Still, the middle books were soooooo boring. They could have been one book, shorter than either of the two. The last book though had a lot of action, flowed well (still a lot of gab) but was my favorite.

Going to see the movie? I'm not sure if I will, it's striking me as the 'new Titanic' and I have an image (as an unrelenting battle axe) to uphold.

Don't count on it!

Ask Strawberry how I only play a smart person on the board. In real life, I don't remember five minutes ago. I'm so stupid it's scary.:P:p

Elphie

I can vouch for that. Try talking with Elphie late at night, right before bedtime. If you can understand what she's typing, it's pretty funny, 'cuz she gets a little loopy!

Saw the movie with my gf tonight.. save yourself alot of frustration and get there ~60 minutes late. The special effects were absolutely terrible. Major harness action going on.. the first 3/4 of the movie was hard to get through.

That's pretty funny.

I enjoyed Twilight. Though about Meyer, I think she is a wonderful story teller (she's got the gift of gab) but her writing skills are well...hmmm... a little lacking. A better vocabulary and better sentence structure would have been welcome. It's simple. Effective, but simple. That's probably why people can just blast through them. I'm actually surprised this book was such a huge phenomenon. I guess that with as much love out there for vampires, no one has made one seem so kind and wonderful as Edward? There is always that appeal of first love, innocent love. Then the lure of being the only romantic interest to a man who is so powerful and gorgeous and humble all at the same time. Still, the middle books were soooooo boring. They could have been one book, shorter than either of the two. The last book though had a lot of action, flowed well (still a lot of gab) but was my favorite.

I haven't read them (as previously stated), but I've gathered this much from what I've heard others talk about. It just doesn't sound like it could possibly be well-written. And I don't get the whole "gorgeous" thing. The descriptions of Edward that's I've heard a weird and creepy, and I don't think that Robert Pattinson is particularly attractive, anyway, much less with creepy white skin.

I don't think that Robert Pattinson is particularly attractive, anyway, much less with creepy white skin.

He is the number one reason why I wouldn't want to see the movie. He looks like a freak with his puffy hair. Ok, I guess he just isn't anything like what I think Edward should look like. I find this guy to be very unattractive. Plus, all the movies hype is based on the books. If a movie is going to be awesome, I want it to be because it's done well not because of the story it's based on. With books you get their thoughts not just actions, so I've never liked the movie versions nearly as much.