Can't get through Twilight

Elphaba

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt the same way about Harry Potter - although I finished that, but only because I promised my friends I would. My problem is, when I've read really GREAT literature (ie Dune, Pride & Prejudice, Great Excpectations) it's hard for anything else to measure up. Then again, when you have middle-aged adults thinking a series of children's novels are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Lol, I've loved the entire Dune series and Great Expectations (haven't read Pride & Prejudice yet, though it's on my list), but I also loved the Harry Potter books. I wouldn't say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread (it took me two tries to get into the first one), but they were truly enjoyable fantasy.

I don't think it's a matter of adults having higher standards, I think it's a matter of being able to enjoy pure brain candy from time to time.

I also enjoyed the Twilight series (it also took me two tries to get into the first book). Again, pure brain candy. Not something I'd read over and over again though (there are VERY few books that would fall into that category, Dune being one of them). Though I did enjoy The Host more. :P

I have very little interest in seeing the movie, based on the casting and the trailers.

Elph, I saw the lines and knew immediately that it was Dune. One of my favorite sci-fi movies. Never read the books but have been told by several I should.

Just wondering if you saw the David Lynch version or the Sci-Fi channel version? The Sci-Fi channel one is vastly superior, imho.

Edited by MormonMama

I know 2 people that seen the movie this weekend...one said they wre not impressed and the other said they loved it....

My daughter and her boyfriend and I saw the movie tonight. She read the whole series and loved it. But she did not care for the movie.

I, on the other hand, read through half of the book and couldn't get into it.

However, I LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED the movie!!!

I did not expect that to happen at all.

While Edward will never replace my love for Johnny, he comes in at a pretty close second.

Elphaba

My daughter and her boyfriend and I saw the movie tonight. She read the whole series and loved it. But she did not care for the movie.

I, on the other hand, read through half of the book and couldn't get into it.

However, I LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED the movie!!!

I did not expect that to happen at all.

While Edward will never replace my love for Johnny, he comes in at a pretty close second.

Elphaba

I will share this with my wife after she sees the movie....:D

my daughter game me the books to read since she knows i like fantasy novels and will read vampire ones.

i was intriqued with not having to jump huge sections of the books to avoid graphic sex scenes.

it apparently started out directed to a teen audience but was readable in a similar way to the harry potter series.

i agree with the idea that it must have started as one book but was expanded to a series. i doubt you could have put it in one book but it played out that way in plot.

i liked the first three books. my daughter bought the fourth and then didnt like it. still she let me borrow it and after stalling a few months because of her review of it i read it and thought the 4th was way and above the best of the series.

it was also more mature in my opinion.

i also read her other book. hmm forgot the name. still it was very unusual and that is always interesting to find. i do like science fiction a lot and this was almost like going back to the classics which i loved.

her writing also seemed more matured in that book. i am not sure what the rl order of writing was though.

i really recommend the dunes books. the movie gave me a headache and seemed to focus on the negative or dark sides of the books more than i tend to enjoy. in fact it seemed to be filmed in a dark room arg.

still it was pretty good.

i will wait to see the movie of twilight. :D

i also read her other book. hmm forgot the name.

That would be The Host. I usually don't like stories about alien invasions, but I really liked that one. I liked it even more than the Twilight series.

i really recommend the dunes books. the movie gave me a headache and seemed to focus on the negative or dark sides of the books more than i tend to enjoy. in fact it seemed to be filmed in a dark room arg.

still it was pretty good.

I also love the Dune series. I'm guessing you saw the David Lynch film? The Sci-Fi Channel version with Alec Newman as Paul is far superior, imho (and closer to the books).

Okay, please don't anyone throw tomatoes at me.

Aww... *sadly puts down tomato*

Actually, I had to chime in and say that you're not alone! I did get through Twilight, but only because when I see a horrible train wreck I can't stop looking. Though, I probably shouldn't go into detail on what I thought about Twilight because I'd be here all day (and covered with rotten fruit by the end of it).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK so I saw it 4x...*ducks from rotten stinky tomatoes*

And sorry I think Edward is *very* attractive...I like odd, also like Snape a lot *blushes*...yeah I tend to like jerks, lucky I didn't marry one.

Anyway I like the Asian boy (not Asian in the books I did not read) and the Native American guy *much* better than Edward...hello, he is a stalker!:eek:

and :eek::eek:she is ok with that? I know, the whole protection thing but he *likes to watch her sleep*...creepy.

And she is *also* ok with him *bragging and joking* about her blood being his own personal brand of heroin...do we forget he was trying to decide whether to kill her or her classmates first???

OK I read Midnight Sun, in 2 sittings, good but got dull.

If I were Bella I would stick with the werewolf although I am sure there are things I do not know...and I do feel kind of bad for reading a stolen unfinished manuscript except for the fact I believe it was on her official site.

Oh and Harry Potter was better...except the music in the first one with the new director. All right but did not fit.

And Snape...I'd take potions...and probably fail. Alan Rickman has an amazing voice...

My daughter was first introduced to these books by a friend in France who had read them all. Then she took me to see the film. I wasnt particularly impressed.

My daughters have since bought all 4 books and my youngest (14) hasn't had her nose out of them since buying them. She is totally captivated.

OH saw the film and actually enjoyed it which totally amazed me.

OK so I saw it 4x...*ducks from rotten stinky tomatoes*.

Lol, you sound like my sister. She saw the movie and immediately went on a Twilight frenzy.

Then she took me to see the film. I wasnt particularly impressed.

OH saw the film and actually enjoyed it which totally amazed me.

Wait, these two statements are confusing me. :confused:

Edited by MormonMama

Guest Alana

I also love the Dune series. I'm guessing you saw the David Lynch film? The Sci-Fi Channel version with Alec Newman as Paul is far superior, imho (and closer to the books).

Have you read The Saga of Seven Suns series by Kevin J. Anderson? Really good. Same style as Dune (twenty million stories, a chapter at a time, then all coming together), but I enjoyed them even more.

Well at least most here just read the books and saw the movie ... friends of mine loved the books so much they passed them to the whole family and then loaded up the whole bunch ... like 29 people and did a road trip to Forks ... thank goodness it's only about a 5 hour drive from here. They said they have really done the vampire thing to put Forks on the map ... Forks is basically a wide spot in the road logging town. Gotta love the Pacific Northwest ... all the little towns have gimics ... mine has a giant egg!