Can't get through Twilight

Elphaba

Hee hee when they are making out...in her *bed* and her in her *undies* ...sorry... but is that Carlisle saying "stop?" ...I know she is not that strong so it must have been someone else...and I was surprised about the underwear thing...and any other reactions to the Edward as creepy stalker topic? I am surprised that did not come up.

And sorry if I misspelled good Carlisle's name, I know there is an s in there...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the books.... read all 4 in about a week. Movie was ok...

I also really enjoyed The Host.

Berean, I also really wanted her to end up with Jacob/werewolf... Glad I wasn't the only one. :)

I agree that the writing in the Twilight series is only sub par, but I loved the story.

Even though the Narnia series is made for young kids, I just picked it up and started reading it again and am really enjoying myself. But I also really love complex and deep stories that are much more for adult readers.

I guess I'm the oposite of a book snob. I'll read just about anything. :D

Yeah I heard if you like Jacob you are not satisfied in you current relationship...

Say what?! Lol, the things those Edward-lovers will come up with. :rolleyes:

I just think it does not mean you like to be stalked or killed.:cool:

Or treated like a child or a china doll. I think the time he actually took a part out of her car so she couldn't go see Jacob pretty much ruined Edward in my eyes forever. That's just downright creepy!

I read all three books in two days...then went out and bought the fourth in the series the next morning to find out the ending (an omission on my part as only three were listed on the blurb). The series has a certain naive writing style to it that is catching...so I found it hard to put the books down...survived the cringe moments.

I bothered to read the author bio after getting through the series and to pick up the new book out. Perhaps it's the voice rather than the books themselves that makes me want to read all the way through. Funnily enough the top 50 list puts it in there

round about where I'd rank it Fantasy 100 - Top 100 Fantasy Books though I don't necessarily agree with the list...middle of the range is right. Admittedly you have to wade into the books a bit before the hook to read more is there...some editing suggestions are apparent..the tagged on pages at the beginning of each book are there to try to do that...but aren't all that connected to the storyline in the way that they might have been... add-ons?

I prefer the newer book out... The Host. Not a bad piece of speculative fiction (horror/scifi/fantasy combo). A bit apocalyptic/alternative history...not sure I'd rank it as sci fi as fantasy deals with plots that are inherrently impossible (more fantasy than science... though I guess that depends on point of view). It has interesting subtext themes running through it. And of course the main character happens to be called Wanderer...

Count me a fan...I'll pickup the new books that come out.

Ugh, I just saw the movie and I absolutely hated it. I was bored five minutes in and had to force myself to sit through the rest of it, just because I can't stand starting something and not finishing it. I had low expectations for this movie, just based on the trailers and the casting, but I tried to keep an open mind because you never know and I've been pleasantly surprised before. But not this time. It was even worse than I feared. I will definitely NOT be purchasing this movie and will most likely not see any sequels. Absolutely awful!!

from a literary standpoint Twilight is not "that great"

my wife read it and she is an english major. afterwards she told me she would not read the rest of the series.

I think that the book is so popular with the LDS crowd is because it's an LDS author, but you don't see people pushing eachother to read Orson Scott Card (who by the way is a much better author).

I liked the books, but I agree that they are not "that great". They're a fun read, a bit juvenile in the writing style, but no Lord of the Rings by any means.

I was half way through the fourth book before I even knew she was LDS, so that wasn't why I read them.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see that not everyone is loving the Twilight books and movie. :) Just not my thing I guess. I keep thinking something is wrong with me that I don't really like them. I couldn't get all the way through the 1st book and thought the movie was really slow and boring. I read a lot and just feel like there are so many better books out there to read!

Warning! Spoiler!!!!

I thought the most hilarious part in the film was when Bella walks into the classroom, the fan blows her scent to Edward, and he claps his hand over his mouth and looks like he's going to puke. I was laughing out loud at that. Terrible scene, and nothing like it was in the book.

I think the "Twilight fart" videos on YouTube are way better than the movie. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I think when we substitute curiosity for expectations reading a book everyone raves about removes the personal element. We can just be curious about it and decide for ourselves if it's something we like or not. We can give ourselves permission to like it or not depending on how we feel about it and not how everyone else feels. The differences in us are a good thing and make life more enjoyable. It's a no guilt way to try any popular thing.

I agree. I put off reading the books for a long time because of all the hype they got. I was afraid they wouldn't be able to live up to my expectations (I was the same way with Harry Potter; I didn't start the books until I'd seen the first two movies). I finally had to force myself to have low expectations, so the books ended up being better than I'd thought they would be.

Unfortunately, that didn't work with the movie. I had very low expectations, based on the trailers and interviews with cast members, and it still disappointed me tremendously.

Okay, please don't anyone throw tomatoes at me.

I made it about halfway through Twilight, and just could not get into it. I think the problem may be like what happens with a movie everyone raves about. By the time I see it, it can't possibly meet my expectations, and I don't see what everyone else did.

So, is that possible? Because after I had stopped reading it, I gave it to my mom to read, and she finished it in three days! Also, she told me I had not read far enough into the book to the really good part.

So what I want to know is, is she right? Does it get better after about halfway through it? Or am I just being a total book snob?

Elphie

Is that the same twilight that is a vampire "chick flick"?:huh:

• 2 weeks later...