What LDS book should I read now?

CatchTheRedeye

I would like some advice from my LDS friends.

I have read the Book of Mormon eight times this last year(not bragging, I just read a lot and read fast) and would have to say it has become one of my favorite books, whether it is fiction or not. I even encourage my friends at the university to read it, not as a missionary, but I tell them it is amazing that a hick in the early 1800's wrote it. Some have taken me up on the challenge. If you want to read my thoughts as an agnostic on reading the book look at my personal belief comment on it.

It has led me to read further so I've read the Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, Jesus the Christ, Articles of Faith and A Marvelous Work and Wonder. I have read plenty of stuff by un-Mormons. :o Any suggestion on good, more recent, LDS books that would help me learn more about church history, Joseph Smith, LDS beliefs and practice?

If you want to learn about the deep doctrine of our church I recommend the Doctrine of Salvation 1 and 2 by Joseph Fielding Smith.

It has given me a lot of insight about the plan of salvation. If you read a lot you'll enjoy this book. I read it a long time ago and didn't understand a lot of it. But recently I started reading it and I loved the book.

Rainofgold

Any suggestion on good, more recent, LDS books that would help me learn more about church history, Joseph Smith, LDS beliefs and practice?

If you go to my profile, I have listed all of the history books I have, and could choose from any of them.

However, clearly the next choice would be Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling.

It is a biography of Joseph written by retired Columbia Professor of History Richard Bushman.

I actually went to Church with the author thirty years ago. And then I recently e-mailed him a question about a point of history, and he wrote back, and said he remembered me.

Of course, he was just being nice. But I loved it that he wrote back, period!

So, my advice, absolutely, is Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling. And after that, I would read Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith.

If you were to read one immediately after the other, you'd have interesting information from both Joseph's and Emma's perspectives.

Elphaba

If you want a terrific and comprehensive overview of church history, there's an old institute manual that can't be beat. It's waaaay cheap and is easy to read, while still being informative.

Church History In The Fulness of Times is the title. Here's a link:

Church History in the Fullness of Times

This book is one of those that I love to just pick up on a lazy Sunday afternoon, open randomly, and begin to read. A must have.

If you go to my profile, I have listed all of the history books I have, and could choose from any of them.

However, clearly the next choice would be Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling.

It is a biography of Joseph written by retired Columbia Professor of History Richard Bushman.

I actually went to Church with the author thirty years ago. And then I recently e-mailed him a question about a point of history, and he wrote back, and said he remembered me.

Of course, he was just being nice. But I loved it that he wrote back, period!

So, my advice, absolutely, is Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling. And after that, I would read Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith.

If you were to read one immediately after the other, you'd have interesting information from both Joseph's and Emma's perspectives.

Elphaba

As I sit here listening to "School's Out for Summer" --- You go, Alice!!

anyway... Two awesome recommendations from Elph. Concur 100%.

HiJolly

I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Rough Stone Rolling" and I recommend it. Just beware, it is LONG LONG LONG. You really need to wade through it.

Now, I'm off to read No Man Knows My History by Fawn Brodie and will let you know how that goes. Has anyone else read that? I understand that with Brodie and Bushman, you get a very good picture of Joseph.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Rough Stone Rolling" and I recommend it. Just beware, it is LONG LONG LONG. You really need to wade through it.

Now, I'm off to read No Man Knows My History by Fawn Brodie and will let you know how that goes. Has anyone else read that? I understand that with Brodie and Bushman, you get a very good picture of Joseph.

Brodie believed that Joseph was motivated in many things by lust. She reads his mind post-humously throughout the book, I don't recommend it.

It is an exceedingly readable book, though, her writing style is exceptional.

HiJolly

I would check out History of Joseph Smith by his mother Lucy Mack Smith. Also Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith is another good one.

The Doctrines of Salvation listed is a good one, also I second the Jeffrey R. Holland Book. You have already read some great books, but you could throw in Mortal Messiah by Bruce R. McConkie.

I would like some advice from my LDS friends.

I have read the Book of Mormon eight times this last year(not bragging, I just read a lot and read fast) and would have to say it has become one of my favorite books, whether it is fiction or not. I even encourage my friends at the university to read it, not as a missionary, but I tell them it is amazing that a hick in the early 1800's wrote it. Some have taken me up on the challenge. If you want to read my thoughts as an agnostic on reading the book look at my personal belief comment on it.

It has led me to read further so I've read the Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, Jesus the Christ, Articles of Faith and A Marvelous Work and Wonder. I have read plenty of stuff by un-Mormons. :o Any suggestion on good, more recent, LDS books that would help me learn more about church history, Joseph Smith, LDS beliefs and practice?

First, congratulation on reading the Book of Mormon that many times. Don't worry about pride. I am very impressed to see this since we have members that can barely read it once a year. :D

I would recommend 'Jesus the Christ'. The reason behind this recommendation, it is the cornerstone of our testimony and we need to live and be like Him in this life in order to return home to live with Him. The next book I would recommend would be 'The Miracle of Forgiveness' by President Spencer W. Kimball. It will provide every insight to sin, types of sin, and how to repent properly. Both books are opposite of each other in topic but very helpful as we progress in this probation. :)

Hey,

As a followup, one that I'm surprised that I didn't think of on my first post, and I'm also surprised that no-one else has said this.

I would recommend reading The New Testament. I would suggest reading both the KJV along with the NIV and going through it. I think we tend to focusing on reading the BOM, but we tend to ignore the NT. This is insane. Also, I think everyone should have a good understanding of the Old Testament.

As you can see the list goes on and on. Some of the books suggested I can see worthwhile, others I think you probably would get board with. One that probably is closer to the getting board part is a book called A New Witness to the Articles of Faith by Elder Bruce R. McConkie. Its kind of a Elder McConkie's version of what Elder Talmage did. They use the Articles of Faith as his guide to talk about the principles of the gospel. For the most part very well done. It does get pretty long when he starts talking about the Gathering of Isreal, if you make it through that, its worth it (actually skipping that is also fine).

I would check out History of Joseph Smith by his Mother Lucy Mack Smith.

I loved this book as well, and it should definitely be on Catch's list.

You have to make sure, however, that you purchase the unedited version of the book. Brigham Young revised Lucy's original manuscript, deleting and revising different parts of it.

The unedited version is easily available today.

Elphaba

Any suggestion on good, more recent, LDS books that would help me learn more about church history, Joseph Smith, LDS beliefs and practice?

I can't believe no one has suggested the Work and the Glory series yet.

Historical fiction, but a very good series of books IMHO. It gives a very good history of the Church from the First Vision through the trek west to the SL valley (from an LDS perspective). My only complaint is that the author, Gerald Lund, tried to wrap everything up in the last book and did it too quickly - 3 books worth of material in 1 book (he was called to be a GA and had to finish it before he was sustained).

It follows the story of multiple generations of a fictional family set in Church historical times.