Lakers

Dr T

Here is what you need to know before the Lakers take on the Milwaukee Bucks.

1) L.A. is looking to win three straight games for the second time this season and first since Dec. 9-14. The Lakers took down the Boston Celtics on Sunday to snap a seven-game losing streak, then upended the Utah Jazz for their first road win since Dec. 30. In its past two victories, L.A. has used hot shooting (48.0 percent) and turnover-forcing defense (18.0) to capture wins.

2) After missing Wednesday’s game against Utah, Nick Young is once again listed as questionable to play. Young, who is shooting a career-low 36.6 percent from the field, had one of his best games of the season against Boston, scoring 19 points on a 5-for-9 clip. Thus far, L.A. is 3-11 this season when Young does not play.

3) Lakers assistant coach Paul Pressey has a long history with the Bucks, as they drafted him 20th overall in 1982. Pressey played his first eight seasons with Milwaukee, averaging 11.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 5.6 rebounds as a “point forward.” The 11-year pro shined on defense for the Bucks and was named First Team All-Defensive in back-to-back seasons (1984-86), as well as Second Team the following year.

4) Milwaukee is seeking to capture their franchise-record fifth straight win against the Lakers. Milwaukee already tied the current mark, set from 1986 to 1988, by pulling out a 113-105 victory on Feb. 4, after O.J. Mayo hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to send the game to overtime.

5) The Bucks changed the face of their franchise at the trade deadline, acquiring reigning Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams from Philadelphia. The former 76er has shown the ability to do it all, as he leads the team in scoring (14.8); ranks seventh in the league in assists (7.4); and places second among point guards in rebounds (6.0), while recording three triple-doubles this season. However, Carter-Williams also needs plenty of polishing, ranking third in turnovers (4.2) and fourth-to-last in the league in field goal percentage (38.1).

6) As part of the deal for Carter-Williams, the Bucks had to send their leading scorer, Brandon Knight (17.7), to Phoenix. Knight had been a menace in his last three games agains the Lakers, averaging 30.3 points on 54.0 percent shooting (34-for-63), while tallying 5.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists.

7) Beginning with recording his then-career high 25 points against the Lakers on Feb. 4, Giannis Antetokounmpo has been on a personal record-setting roll, as he has since recorded new career bests in points (27 vs. Houston; Feb. 6), rebounds (15 vs. Houston; Feb. 6) and assists (six vs. Brooklyn; Feb. 9).

8) Milwaukee’s defense is among the league’s best this season, holding opponents to the second-fewest points (96.5) and the third-lowest percentage from both the field (43.1) and 3-point range (32.9). The Bucks are also limiting their foes to the NBA’s fewest baskets (35.3) and forcing the most turnovers (17.3).

9) Since 2015 began, Milwaukee has been even stingier on defense, as it leads the league in opponent 3-point percentage (31.2) and turnovers forced (18.2). Meanwhile, the Bucks also rank second in points allowed (92.8), opponent field goal percentage (41.1) and defensive rating (95.7).

10) The Bucks rely on their bench to get the scoreboard going, as they rank second in the NBA with 41.5 points per game. The reserves, who play a league-high 21.2 combined minutes per game, have been efficient with their shots, also placing second in field goal percentage off the bench (47.0).

Above from lakers.com star writer

Guest MormonGator

I like those "things to know" before a game that you post. Very informative. 

We finally got someone in the clutch we can trust. Isaiah Thomas. Not the washed up, terrible GM Isaiah either! 

Lakers vs. Thunder: 10 Things to Know

by Joey Ramirez

Lakers.com Contributor

Posted: Mar 01, 2015

Here is what you need to know before the Lakers face the Oklahoma City Thunder.

1) The Lakers are looking to win four straight games for the first time since April 2013. L.A. has been able to effectively close out games during its current streak, as its last three opponents have been outscored 79-45 in the final quarter.

2) The Lakers have fared much better when they win the turnover battle, as 13 of their 16 wins have come when committing as many or fewer giveaways. L.A. is just 3-21 when turning the ball over more, but two of those victories have come during its current streak.

3) Last time these two teams met, Oklahoma City escaped Los Angeles with a 104-103 win after Kobe Byant’s go-ahead shot was off the mark with two seconds left. The Thunder benefitted from taking care of the ball, as they surrendered a season-low seven turnovers against L.A. on Dec. 19.

4) Oklahoma City is as battered as any team in the league, with Russell Westbrook (facial surgery), Kevin Durant (foot soreness), Steven Adams (right hand, fourth metacarpal fracture) and Steve Novak (appendectomy) all out for Sunday’s tilt. Meanwhile, Enes Kanter’s status is uncertain after missing the Thunder’s last game due to a right thigh contusion.

5) Westbrook’s injury is especially deflating, as he is currently on one of the greatest three-game stretches in recent history. Westbrook — who averaged 31.2 points, 9.1 rebounds and 10.3 assists in February — has logged a triple-double in each of his last three contests, and is seeking to become the first player with four in a row since Michael Jordan had seven straight in March-April 1989.

6) Despite Westbrook’s obviously world-class talent, few players have tormented the Lakers like Durant has. The reigning NBA MVP did not play against L.A. earlier this season, but he is averaging 33.8 points in his last nine games against the Lakers, six of which have been Thunder victories.

7) With Westbrook and Durant both out, Serge Ibaka will likely take on a larger offensive role. On the other side of the ball, Ibaka has dominated defensively. The Republic of the Congo native ranks second in the NBA in both blocks (2.7) and opponent shooting at the rim (41.1 percent). Oklahoma City’s foes are taking the third-most shots at the rim against Ibaka (9.3), but they are averaging only the the 18th-most baskets there (3.8).

8) Oklahoma City has dominated the glass this season with a league-high 47.4 rebounds per game. Led by Ibaka (7.8) and Adams (7.0), the Thunder have outrebounded opponents by 4.2 boards per game this season, which trails only Sacramento.

9) Though Oklahoma City’s offense deservedly gets a lot of attention, its defense has arguably been even better. Despite missing a combined 153 games due to injury this season, the Thunder defense has stood strong, holding opponents to the second-worst field goal percentage in the league (42.8). Oklahoma City has also been tremendous in specific areas, limiting their foes to the lowest shooting percentage in transition (49.2), at the rim (48.4) and on isolation plays (34.0), while ranking second on cuts to the basket (56.8) and putbacks (49.3).

10) The Thunder are looking to find their groove again after dropping two straight following their seven-game winning streak. Oklahoma City had been shooting 47.0 percent — the league’s third-highest mark — during its run, but that has whittled down to 43.1 percent in its following pair of games, which hovers around the league average.

Guest MormonGator

I'm sorry my friend. It doesn't look good for you guys for the remainder of the season, but the Lakers are a feast or famine team. Three wins in a row against mediocre teams, than lose to OKC that is hugely short handed. I just don't get it. 

My respect for Kobe is growing. I think he wants to come back more than anything. 

My take is he is a great NBA coach. I have not heard anything recently I know his team bombed this year. I thought they'd be tough this year but nope. He has always pushed the envelope as he did with Malone and others. It's sad he has cancer imo.

Guest MormonGator

I agree with your take on Phil Jackson. For the most part though, anyone who coaches Jordan, Kobe, Shaq etc doesn't really need to coach much. Just tell them to go play and they'll take care of the rest. 

I agree with the superstars like that but I think he helped form a desire to come play for a championship team.  Riley before him did the some of the same but Phil talked a lot and pulled people over.  He has so many rings so I need to hand it to him.  It would be difficult to coach some of this superstars imo.    

======

100-93 Dallas over my boys last game :(

Guest MormonGator

I think Jackson was a master at balancing ego, coaching second. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the modern NBA game. 

Do you think Durant will re-sign with the Thunder? He doesn't strike me as "the type" to sign with LA/NY. 

He started there, there might be ego issues with Westbook but that is just my opinion. I would jump on the change to get KD and I would take Westbrook too. Both in LA would be fantastic. Durant is a superstart. We've always known on the computer, he was going to be one of the greatest.

Guest MormonGator

101-87 Lakers over 6ers. I like the win but it was the Sixers

A win is a win, but there is a chance a good college team could beat the Sixers this year. They are awful.