Lakers

Dr T

Gasol's elevated play has Lakers on path to more success

Posted May 21 2010 7:41PM

LOS ANGELES -- Rescued and reenergized 28 months ago, Pau Gasol finds himself two wins shy of his third consecutive NBA Finals.

"It's a great habit to pick up, to get used to," he said. "Not just being here, but doing what it takes to get here individually and collectively. We're a fortunate group as far as how hard we've been working, how well we play together and how far we're getting. We want to continue to be hungry and continue to accomplish more things."

Gasol and the Lakers lead the Western Conference finals 2-0 with Game 3 coming Sunday at Phoenix. Should the defending champs close the deal against the Suns, it'll be the 31st time Los Angeles' original NBA franchise plays for a title.

That staggering level of success -- the Lakers also own 15 championships -- can make for unrealistic expectations. For the likes of Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson, being on the league's grandest stage in late June is almost a rite of passage.

Read more

Edited by pam
copyrighted by nba.com

The artcle below is from here: LAKERS: Lakers Practice Report: 05/24/10

After nearly a month of solid basketball from L.A., which produced eight consecutive playoff victories and a 2-0 lead in the Western Conference Finals, the Lakers’ coaches were disappointed with the team’s play in Sunday evening’s 118-109 loss in Phoenix.

L.A. struggled at times with a zone defense employed only because Phoenix couldn’t get stops playing straight up man-to-man, got only seven minutes and change from foul-plagued Andrew Bynum, and took a franchise-playoff-high 32 three-pointers while going away from their bread and butter low post game.

“We played poorly, and I think their aggression at the start of the game helped us do that,” said Phil Jackson, referring to Phoenix setting the tone of the game by attacking the hoop and getting to the foul line.

Edited by pam
Can't post entire article due to copyright.

We dropped two in a row to the Suns. Kobe made 38 points and had 10 assists tonight (5/25/10) as the Lakers came up short 106 - 115 in Game 4 of the WCF. We come back home next game. I hope we step up and play like we mean it. The Sun's bench did great against ours. I'll say it again, Kobe cannot win the whole thing by himself and we are a better team when we move the ball. GO LAKERS!

Lakers practice report 5/26/10

from here: LAKERS: Lakers Practice Report: 05/26/10

Throughout the past three playoff seasons, the Lakers have consistently brought their best play to Game 5.

In fact, they’re 8-0, including a 7-0 mark at home*. Here’s the list:

*The Lakers are 18-0 all-time in home Game 5's when tied 2-2.

2007-08 Season

Round 1: N/A (swept Denver)

Semis: L.A. 111, Utah 104

WCF: L.A. 100, San Antonio 92

Finals: L.A. 103, Boston 98

2008-09 Season

Round 1: L.A. 107, Utah 96

Semis: L.A. 118, Houston 78

WCF: L.A. 103, Denver 94

Finals: L.A. 99, Orlando 86

2008-09 Season

Round 1: L.A. 111, Oklahoma City 87

Semis: N/A (swept Utah)

WCF: TBD

Though each win in 2007-08 came in single digits, the only competitive Game 5 since came against Denver in the 2008-09 Western Conference Finals, which resulted in a nine-point win. The other four games were all blowouts, including the 40-point victory over Houston and 24-point win over Oklahoma City that both came after double-digit Game 4 losses in respective cities.

And while it’s too easy for us to look at past performances and compare them on paper to Thursday’s coming Game 5 against Phoenix (who beat L.A. 115-106 in Game 4), the Lakers themselves failed to acknowledge past victories while speaking primarily about coming out aggressively.

“It’s Game 5, the series is tight, it’s a must win for us,” said Pau Gasol. “The sense of urgency is total for us. We’re ready to play and go back at them full force.”

“We’ll come out with some extra energy,” added Lamar Odom, who played much better at home than on the road.

And of course, L.A. has Kobe Bryant, who answered a question about a perceived increased sense of urgency for Game 5 as follows: “I always think there is.”

That’s what L.A.’s coaches, no doubt, like to hear.

Yet it’s not just about L.A.’s overall effort and energy level, but defensive technique. Scoring, after all, hasn’t been the problem. The Lakers combined to shoot 58 percent in two home wins while averaging 126 points, then shot 48.3 percent in Game 3 and 49.5 percent in Game 4. Not surprisingly, most of the comments out of Wednesday’s practice had to do with defense.

“Sometimes when teams start to hit shots on us we turn into selfish defenders and just kind of stick to our man,” said Lamar Odom. “But against this team, with so much pick and roll and so much inside action, so many pin downs that they run, we have to play good team defense, and if we do that we should be OK.”

Bryant, who said after Tuesday’s Game 4 that L.A.’s defense simply “sucked,” spoke more about sticking to a defensive game plan that worked much better in Games 1 and 2.

“We didn’t miss as many assignments as we missed the last two games,” he said. “If you leave those guys wide open, somebody’s going to get it. It was a lack of execution, just miscommunication on assignments.”

While Phoenix is a uniquely gifted offensive team, one common theme in the Lakers’ eight straight Game 5 wins has been its aggressive defense, which has produced seven consecutive games in which some very good offensive teams have failed to score 100 points.

“I just think it’s a matter of desperation,” concluded Jackson. “In this game it’s kind of the team that delivers the first blow that’s going to be OK.”

The Lakers will certainly try to be that team ... for the ninth straight time.

Tonight at 6:00 PT Lakers vs. Suns from Los Angeles. I'd like for our bench to play tough and for Pau and Odom to not back down. Also Kobe to NOT try and do it all himself. Come on Boys, you can do it like you did our first two games. Step up our defense and don't take as many shots beyond the arch. GO LA!

Oh yeah, it's on TNT for those that get it. You can even watch it on nba.com they have a TNT OT link there. I'm going to my kids appreciation night tonight so will have to miss the game. GO LAKERS!

I'm sad I wasn't able to watch the game tonight. I watched most of the first half and didn't like to see the Suns come out hot and us super cold though. To hear that it was a buzzer beater I though, "Was it another Kobe buzzer beater?" It wasn't. He missed and Artest make a shot that went off the glass to put the icing on the cake tonight. Kobe had 30 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists to lead the way as the Lakers beat the Suns 103-101 on Thursday in L.A. to take a 3-2 series lead. I hope we close it out on Saturday. GO LAKERS!

Lakers took game 1 of the finals tonight! We won 3 of the 4 quarters tonight. We started the 4th 20 points up. It was a great victory. We out played them tonight and wanted it more and the Lakers really stepped up and did it. The Celtics are not out of it by any means but if we keep playing like we did tonight, I'll be very happy. Good job Pau and Kobe. LO didn't really shoot too many baskets tonight but I'm not complaining about him. GO LAKERS!

With my boys loss, 103-94 to the Celtics last night, we are all tied up in this year's NBA finals. :( I was again unable to watch because I was out of town. That might be the reason we lost! Now the series moves to Boston. We need to play tough there and take at least one. GO LAKERS!

OK, Paul Pierce said he and the Celtics will not be coming back to LA. I hope he is wrong and my boys go to their home court and take the first one there this Finals. GO LAKERS! I hope for no droughts tonight on points and no foul trouble. I plan to go see tonight's game at 7:15 ish.

Last night's game: Kobe had 29 points and Derek Fisher scored 11 in the fourth quarter as the Lakers defeated the Celtics 91-84 in Game 3 of the NBA Finals. Since we stepped up and showed we can win in Boston then I'd love it is Pierces words, "We're not coming back to LA" rings true with two more victories in Boston to take the title! GO LAKERS!

I forgot to say we were up by 17 that last game and the Celtics kept fighting to bring it to two late in the game. There were also 3 ref reviews in the last two minutes of the game for possession. That was interesting.

I was watching game 4 and got a call from church about a meeting that I needed to attend (I am an elder in my church now) so I had to leave the game and was unable to watch last night's game. I missed both and we lost both. Now we really have our work cut out for us in these next two games. Lakers, just take them one game at a time, share the ball and make them pay. GO LAKERS!

Ok, back to LA for game 6 tonight. We have our work cut out for us tonight. People keep saying, "We play at home!" as if that's all it takes to win. That's not all that needs to happen. The Celtics are well coached and they are hungry. They fight for every ball and have played way better then us in the paint while in Boston. We need to clog up the middle and take a killer instinct into this game. I know the Celtics will have it and we can't be passive about things. Go for the throat boys! GO LAKERS! I might not be able to watch tonight either :(

My boys did just what I wanted from them tonight-they played tough, shared the ball, fought for the ball and really took care of business! Pau was one assist short of a tripple double tonight, Kobe 26 pts and 11 rebounds, Artest with 15 points, and a bench that came out to play. The score was 89-67. Drew did not play much tonight. I hope he is back next game and can play tough. GO LAKERS! One more to win...

There it is! LAKERS TAKE THE 2ND CONSECUTIVE CHAMPIONSHIP! 2010 CHAMPS! You all heard it here first "Lakers will take the whole thing this year!" That's what I said and it happened again. It's all about the Lakers. Lakers all day!

Lakers, 16 time NBA champions! Tonight's game 7 we saw a lot of great D on both teams. They were really tired and Kobe had a really bad shooting percentage in this game. We started with a horrible 26% shooting at first. He had 6 for 24 shooting. He rebounded really well so he helped a lot anyway. He had 23 points, 15 rebounds and 2 assists. Artest played GREAT this game. He was tough and played great defense. He had 20 points and Pau had 19 points, 18 rebounds and 4 assists. This game was a very low scoring game but we fought to get back in it.