'Ashamed' [of the Gospel]

Hemidakota

Something to think about when the those in the building scoff at those who walk and grasp hold of the the path of the Iron Rod that leads to the Tree of Life.

Snippet: It is eternally important whether we choose to be ashamed of the gospel because of the scoffers of this world, or we choose to reject the world, "rejoicing" that we are "counted worthy to suffer shame for his name" (Acts 5:41). For in the end, if we are ashamed of Christ and his words, he will be "ashamed" of us when "he shall come in his own glory" (Luke 9:26). But if we endure "the crosses of the world and despise the shame of it," we will "inherit the kingdom of God" (2 Nephi 9:18).

Link: MormonTimes - 'Ashamed'

Yes. On the surface, as I ponder this topic, I feel there's no way I could ever be ashamed. But, if a group of men showed up at my door on a cold winter's night with tar and feathers, breathing threats, I wonder...

I pray for strength to endure as often as I remember, which I'm afraid isn't near often enough. I am giving serious effort to heed the message in Elder Bednar's latest talk about praying always, and in all things.

The lesson that Joseph Smith would have us learn, I think, is that he did not muster the strength to endure the persecution on his own. As in all things, Joseph Smith sought strength from the Savior to endure the torture. Joseph Smith, alone and unaided, would not have been equal to the task. That is what we need to remember. That is what Joseph Smith knew when he was taken from his home.

The Lord can strengthen us to be equal to what we are called upon to endure.

I see people ashamed every day. We are constantly blending in with society. We are constantly trying to prevent our beliefs from coming between us and our friends. We even stand in that building and point that finger of scorn. This nation, much like ancient Israel, is filled to the brim with pride and stands with its upturned nose in the great and spacious building arrayed in fine apparel and jewels on a foundation of nothing but pride itself. The great fall is coming and we must evacuate that building as much as possible, the doing so will bring that finger of scorn.

-a-train

Think of the things that today.. we (as a church) are embarrassed about... and really don't like talking about... especially to non-members. And sometimes.. even among ourselves.

Becoming Gods

Polygamy

Blacks and the priesthood

Statements of past prophets

How the Book of Mormon was translated

I just find that we as a people are not as "peculiar" as we once use to be. Notice our fight with the Christian community to be "accepted" as a Christian? And they will accept us.. if maybe we change this one thing.. or agree with them about this or that.

Just look at the RLDS. They have changed their stance on what the Godhead is. They now believe in the trinity... and they are not putting their faith so much in the Book of Mormon anymore.

Overtime... things slowly change. The membership of the church has problems with determining if gays should be married or not. Seems our conformity to the ways of the world seem to be ever more popular.

Use to be a time when the members of the church were a little less intolerant of wickedness. After all.. being intolerant today seems to have changed to be a bad thing.

Yet the Lord can still say today: THOU SHALT HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME! How intolerant is that?

Toleration is not the opposite of intolerance but the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms: the one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, the other of granting it. -- Thomas Paine, The Rights of Man

I am amazed at how often those words are applicable.

-a-train

At the last supper when Jesus said in essence - one of you will be ashamed of me. Did Peter turn to John and say - "I'll bet it's Judas, he has been acting so strange lately."

I think a saint would say, "L-rd is it I".

I know for me it is never the big sutff. I have weathered great storms. For me it is the little things - when no one is looking or when someone cuts me off and runs me off the road on my bicycle that I have thought that lack love and compassion.

I really let my dark lights be seen when someone lies about LDS doctrine or make fun of sacred things that I act more like I am ashamed of loving my neighbor.

The Traveler

What I find interesting (and disheartening) is how here in Utah, folks are ashamed of the gospel in LDS arenas.

As just one (of many examples):

For fear of offending, folks fail to take a stand on obvious doctrinal issues. I can't begin to tell you how many times the small talk or the lessons in Elders Quorum allude to the big game being played that day, and how eager a significant number of the men are to partake in it. Obviously all are free to choose whether or not they're going to adhere to specific commandments, but why is the response to smile in silence??? Never understood that.