Help! No one wants to teach one of our classes!

ZionWoman

Hi!

I brand new to this site and so far, I'm impressed. I must admit that I am here for advice. I am a councilor in our primary. We have a large primary for a ward as small as ours. We have one class of young children that NO ONE wants to teach. The kids are high spirited and haven't had a good teacher for a while now. We have asked for some people to be called and they have turned it down! We don't know what to do anymore. Any advice?

Thanks!

are high spirited and haven't had a good teacher for a while now.

What age group are they? They do have a teacher, just not a "good one"? How about one of the parents for the "children that NO ONE wants to teach" being a "Sub", or letting the parents of that group take turns until someone does accept the calling.

We have had trouble over the past few years filling all our Primary Teacher callings. We manage by having one of the councilors take a class, or sometimes we will add the children with no teacher to another class until someone accepts the calling.

Luckily, these situations have not been long term; eventually someone does accept the very important calling of teaching our young ones.

They are CTR 5 . There are 7 of them. Our Sunbeams have 8 and the CTR6's have 6. I don't feel right about combining them with another class.

About the parents:

Child1: Mom-less active Dad-teaches preisthood

Child2: Mom-just released for a rough pregnancy Dad-Bishopric

Child3: Dad-single parent, brand new

Child4: Mom-Stake calling Dad-teaches preisthood (difficult children, often taken out)

Child5: Mom & Dad - team teach another primary class

Child6: Mom-in Nursery Dad-Bishopric

Child7: Mom-Primary councilor Dad-Away on Business A LOT!

They had a teacher who taught them once. She never came back and asked to be released. We are going on about 5 months of no teacher. I feel really sad about this class. They are good kids, they just need some one to be there and love them. I've offered to teach them myself. I guess we'll see how that goes. I feel that the need is higher for a teacher than a councilor at this point.

Edited by ZionWoman

Maybe there needs to be a talk on Sunday in Sacrament Meeting about why callings are important and why we aren't suppose to turn them down without a really really good reason. This might be something the Primary President needs to discuss with the Bishop. No matter how old we get, we all need to learn obedience and it never hurts to be reminded. . . even at age 50.

My husband and I taught a group of 10yo boys who were difficult. They acted better when my husband was there but that wasn't always possible. Knowing I had the support of the primary presidency helped. I knew that if I opened my classroom door I would have help immediately. The kids soon learned that if they were disruptive they would be taken to their parents immediately, no matter where that parent was. Its not fun for the Bishop's son when he has to sit outside the Bishop's office on a chair, alone, because he couldn't behave in class. One young man ended up with his mother in the Nursery. After class I always made sure the child that got pulled out of class for their inappropriate behavior understood that I loved them and truly wanted them in my class. If I couldn't catch them after class or after Sacrament Meeting, then I went to their home to talk to them. A one on one discussion and a hug can go a long way to developing respect.

There is not such thing as an unteachable class, or child. Be prayerful. The Lord is aware of the situation and He will provide the answer. Maybe you've already gotten your answer? If you truly feel that you should teach this class, then let your Primary President and your Bishop know. Regardless of who the teacher is there needs to be support outside the door so that problems can be addressed immediately. The children will learn quickly that good behavior in class will bring positive results. Just be consistent.

applepansy

P.S. In Teaching - No Greater Call is a chapter about the age charateristics of children. I have found it helpful when dealing with a disruptive class to know what to expect from an age group.

Thanks everyone for your supportive comments. I guess I do have an answer. The president will consider me with the bishop. These primary years are SO important. I feel the weight of the importance of my role in their lives everyday and I pray for them. I want them all to know how much we love them and worry about them. I don't think I have ever been called to a more important calling than being in the primary.

Splitting the group into two is a smart idea. My guess is that there are some kids in the group that are *competing* for attention. It doesn't have to be completely separate...begin to together/split into small groups/finish together. Sometimes good kids in the wrong combination leads to problems...this is also stressful for them cause kids need to know that other kids will behave towards them in the right way as well and they keep losing their teachers and unhappy teachers are not the best teachers (sorry..they may be very good ones, but when in difficult circumstances performance is less than optimum and kids react to this even if it is well-hidden).

They may not always need two teachers. But they shouldn't have to suffer through this if it's possible to provide a better teaching situation and you can do that. If you can get things to a level where things are humming along better and they are in a better routine behaviour-wise you can look at increasing the time together or mixing up groups...slowly and with much thought. Spend a little of the time talking about group behaviours and working on this area...and you will eventually spend much more time teaching them the stuff that needs to be taught. You can't teach when they don't know how to learn. They aren't able to pick up on much in these circumstances any more than a teacher can focus on the lesson itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give an update on this. The primary president and the bishopric accepted my offer to teach the class. I started today. One boy had refused to come but was comfortable with me (I've taught him Joy School at my house before) and joined the class for the first in time in 2 months. It's a struggle but I'm confident that we can turn this class around. Thanks for all your advice. :)

Hi!

I brand new to this site and so far, I'm impressed. I must admit that I am here for advice. I am a councilor in our primary. We have a large primary for a ward as small as ours. We have one class of young children that NO ONE wants to teach. The kids are high spirited and haven't had a good teacher for a while now. We have asked for some people to be called and they have turned it down! We don't know what to do anymore. Any advice?

Thanks!

I have taught many years in PRIMARY and have had the type of classes you indicate presently. In fact, I now teach the Deacons in our ward and have a similiar cross-section of backgrounds

As a suggestion: First I would seek the Lords help by praying and perhaps fasting over this problem. I would see if there are any recently return Missionaries, college student age individual who perhaps isn't going back this semester, or a man in the ward that seems to have a good rapor with kids. If not, then as previously suggested a young married couple or even a retired couple if they have the correct personalities. (Not everyone will teach this type of class as you know). Ask the Bishopric member over the Primary to please sit in with the class for a few weeks and help the new teacher perhaps trading off with a member of the Primary Presidency until the class becomes more in tune with the spirit. Perhaps ask the Elders (Missionaries) for help for a few weeks if they can.

Just don't give up, for the Lord will assist you if you put him to the test. After all, he called you to the position you are in and therefore will support you to ensure you are sucessful. :) Let us know how you come out.

That is so cool you tok the class!! :animatedthumbsup:

That agegroup is difficult. I am sure you will do fine. Kids will grow.... Anyway at that age the MOST important thing is to make kids feel loved! If they feel the teacher care about them and that God loves them and Jesus IS their dear older brother, then they will be doing great for quite a few years!

Have with you something that will catch their attention... anything, like with the smaller ones. A box with something in they may look at after the lesson.... why am I telling you this I am sure you know it already!

Good luck with the group!