1 Nephi 2:2-4

Heather

1 Nephi 2:2-4

2 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded my father, even in a dream, that he should take his family and depart into the wilderness.

3 And it came to pass that he was obedient unto the word of the Lord, wherefore he did as the Lord commanded him.

4 And it came to pass that he *departed into the wilderness. And he left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his precious things, and took nothing with him, save it were his family, and provisions, and tents, and departed into the wilderness.

Quotes for Discussion

1 Nephi 2:4

What Lehi Left Behind
House
Land
Gold and silver
Precious things
What Lehi Took with Him
Family
Provisions
Tents
Scriptures (see 1 Nephi 3:3)

“For a man to lay down his all,” Joseph Smith taught, “his character and reputation, his honor, and applause, his good name among men, his houses, his lands, his brothers and sisters, his wife and children, and even his own life also—counting all things but filth and dross for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ—requires more than mere belief or supposition that he is doing the will of God; but actual knowledge, realizing that, when these sufferings are ended, he will enter into eternal rest, and be a partaker of the glory of God.”
Lectures on Faith, 6:5

• 2 weeks later...

“For a man to lay down his all,” Joseph Smith taught, “his character and reputation, his honor, and applause, his good name among men, his houses, his lands, his brothers and sisters, his wife and children, and even his own life also—counting all things but filth and dross for the excellency of the knowledge of Jesus Christ—requires more than mere belief or supposition that he is doing the will of God; but actual knowledge, realizing that, when these sufferings are ended, he will enter into eternal rest, and be a partaker of the glory of God.”

What a beautiful quote! It gives me comfort and permission to put God first above all, even if the sacrifice of all other's and things is required. I am comforted because this tells me that everything will be okay when I give my all to Him, and that alone is what will make everything else eternally "okay." Thank you for the edifying quote~

Dove

What a beautiful quote! It gives me comfort and permission to put God first above all, even if the sacrifice of all other's and things is required. I am comforted because this tells me that everything will be okay when I give my all to Him, and that alone is what will make everything else eternally "okay." Thank you for the edifying quote

I agree. Thank you for this quote. It does help to put priorities in order.

• 2 months later...

Now your making me get all teary-eyed.

-a-train