1 Nephi 2:7

HoosierGuy

7 And it came to pass that he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God.

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

Altar
As a prophet, Lehi held the Melchizedek priesthood and by that authority offered sacrifice (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 181)….The Aaronic Priesthood was the province of the tribe of Levi, and thus was not taken by the Nephites to America. It would appear, therefore, that the sacrifices performed by the Lehite colony were carried out under the direction of the higher priesthood, which comprehends all the duties and authorities of the lesser.
R. Millet and J.F. McConkie, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, 1:31

All the prophets held the higher priesthood, having been ordained by the hand of God (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 180-81). It was by right of this higher priesthood that the Old Testament prophets performed their labors in the name of the God of Israel and could officiate in the ordinances of the Aaronic Priesthood, just as today bishops in the Church officiate in an Aaronic Priesthood office by right of the Melchizedek Priesthood….Though the Book of Mormon does not explicitly state so, Lehi, like all other prophets in Old Testament times, held the Melchizedek Priesthood….The Nephites administered the ordinances and blessings of the law of Moses before the coming of Christ and the law of the gospel after the coming of Christ by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
Paul Y. Hoskisson, Ensign, Mar. 1994, p. 54

Giving Thanks
Elder James E. Faust taught, “A grateful heart is a beginning of greatness. It is an expression of humility. It is a foundation for the development of such virtues as prayer, faith, courage, contentment, happiness, love, and well-being. But there is a truism associated with all types of human strength: ‘Use it or lose it.” When not used, muscles weaken, skills deteriorate, and faith disappears….

“Gratitude is not only an expression of faith; it is a saving principle. The Lord has said, ‘And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments’ (D&C 59:21). It is clear to me from this scripture that to ‘thank the Lord thy God in all things’ (D&C 59:7) is more than a social courtesy; it is a binding commandment.”
“The Message: An Attitude of Gratitude,” New Era, November 1993, p. 6

It’s clear to me…that to “thank the Lord thy God in all thing” (D&C 59:7) is more than a social courtesy; it is a binding commandment.
James E. Faust, Ensign, December 1996, 2 Edited by HoosierGuy

congrats on the new job can't think of anyone better:)

I think it is important to remember the Lord in all thy doing its the secret to a happy life, I know when I have days like today when I am greatful for the miracles he has sent my way, I am more contended.

Adam was the first to thank the Lord and I find it interesting that he thanked him even when great trial had come into his life. That great trial is why we have happiness in our lives

I always love the story of Connie Ten Booth thanking the Lord for the midgies in her hut - only later did she discover that they were why they had been able to have the comfort of scripture study.

-Charley