1 Nephi 2:10

HoosierGuy

1 Nephi 2:10

8 And it came to pass that he called the name of the river, Laman, and it emptied into the Red Sea; and the valley was in the borders near the mouth thereof.

9 And when my father saw that the waters of the river emptied into the fountain of the Red Sea, he spake unto Laman, saying: O that thou mightest be like unto this river, continually running into the fountain of all righteousness!

10 And he also spake unto Lemuel: O that thou mightest be like unto this valley, firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments of the Lord!

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

As if to prove that no westerner could possibly have dreamed up Nephi’s account, we are challenged by the remarkable expression, “like unto this valley, firm and steadfast, and immovable” (1 Nephi 2:10). Who west of Suez would ever think of such an image?...For we, of course, know all about everlasting hills and immovable mountains, the moving of which is the best-known illustration of the infinite power of faith, but who ever heard of a steadfast valley? The Arabs, to be sure. For them the valley, and not the mountain, is the symbol of permanence. It is not the mountain of refuge to which they flee, but the valley of refuge. The great depressions that run for hundreds of miles across the Arabian peninsula pass for the most part through plains devoid of mountains. It is in these ancient riverbeds alone that water, vegetation, and animal life are to be found when all else is desolation. They alone offer men and animals escape from their enemies and deliverance from death by hunger and thirst. The qualities of firmness and steadfastness, of reliable protection, refreshment, and sure refuge when all else fails, which other nations attribute naturally to mountains, the Arabs attribute to valleys.
Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, 5:91-92

I just wanted you to know I appreciate the work you are doing. I don't have much to comment on except this passage makes me think of my son - when he first arrived and I held him everything about him said he was steadfast and immovable lol and he continues with this its something that is an amazing quality. This is also a scripture that shows us that no matter how many blessings we have we need to work at growing closer to Christ.

-Charley