Do you drink Coke?

Pronto

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really funny because in some parts of the world, profanity is tolerated in Fast and Testimony Meetings. Do it in the US and the congregation will have a heart attack. The deal is simple: Study it out in your mind for yourself, come as close as you can to you own conclusion/solution, then pray and ask Heavenly Father what he thinks.

Good people,

Is it against the Word of Wisdom to drink Coke?

LDS in Utah drink Coke but for some reason the LDS people in Australia don't - what is the real story?

No because Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley once said on 60 minutes we as members don't drink caffeinated soda pops.

Even before i didn't drink it, because everyone knows its not healthy ( Scientificllay proven).

When I have an upset tummy, I drink it, because it helps. So I guess I used it to medicate, ok I admit to being weird. lol

As for the point about profanity, what is profanity in one country is not in another. Even countries that speak a similar language ..ie USA and the UK, it can be quite funny, on occasion.

Well that's my point - without giving any names - are the people that drink coke in the ward leadership?

There was a man in our ward who used to drink Pepsi at the ward barbeque - later in his life he went inactive. So I'm thinking - Is there a correlation between cola drinks and rebellion?

Well that's my point - without giving any names - are the people that drink coke in the ward leadership?

There was a man in our ward who used to drink Pepsi at the ward barbeque - later in his life he went inactive. So I'm thinking - Is there a correlation between cola drinks and rebellion?

Probably not..it really is personal interpretation (sp?) of the Word of Wisdom. Since it doesn't say specifically to not drink caffeinated drinks some people read that as it being okay.

And like Sanguine, there's nothing that soothes an upset stomach or helps with the cure of a migraine like a Pepsi! There's no arguing the medicinal qualities of Pepsi Cola ;)

As for the point about profanity, what is profanity in one country is not in another. Even countries that speak a similar language ..ie USA and the UK, it can be quite funny, on occasion.

When I was in the MTC we had an elder from England in our district. We used to love giving him a hard time about how the colonies cleaned Britain's clock in the Revolutionary War. One day we were at lunch, and as it happened, the MTC president, his counsleors and their wives were all at the next table. We proceeded to give this poor elder a hard time and he seems to finally have snapped. He said very emphatically, and quite vociferously, "the Americans only won because half of the British troops were tied up fighting the French. If we had had our entire army, we would have come over and kicked your A****!!!"

We all just about fell out of our seats laughing. The mission presidency heard it, looked up, and they seemed to be debating among themselves whether it was something they should address. This elder claims that the word he used wasn't considered profanity in England. I'm not sure I believe this, but he did look genuinely confused about why we all started laughing.

oh, and no, I don't drink Coke. Pepsi is much better. :D

It has been clinically proven that caffeine does relieve migraine pain. The old treatments for migraine were caffeine with aspirin. (I know because my mother - an RN - had migraines when I was a kid.

Reasons to not drink it is that caffeine leaches the calcium from the bones. And the carbonation replaces the oxygen in the blood stream. Too good reasons to not drink caffeinated sodas. This includes Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew. Barq's Rootbeer (outside of Utah), . . . read your labels. Just do a search and you'll find the references.

Yes I drink a coke or pepsi for nausea or migraine. I drink diet which is another problem. :D The aritificial sweetners will exacerbate or cause health problems. But for me if I drink sodas with sugar in them I get a migraine.

applepansy

Thanks Applepansy I learn a lot from your above post.:)

I remember when the word came out about drinking coke i.e. caffine many people were addicted to it because they got a huge boost from it where others were drinking coffee for the same boost. I have had periods in my life where I have been addicted to caffeine in drinks and it had way too much control of my life. I also remember when they brought out caffeine free coke and if I am not mistaken it was even served in the cafeteria at the Temple.

I drink it from time to time but I am not a slave to it. :P

Does the church still own all or part of Coke or Coca-Cola? I think they did or maybe still do.

I have a testimony, I promise. :lol: I use caffeine to get through the busy season at work, Mountain Dew being my weapon of choice. When the work season ends, I immediately cut it off.

I feel guilty for doing so... but have concluded I'd rather potentially break the Word of Wisdom than fail as a breadwinner for my family. The lesser of two evils...

When I have an upset tummy, I drink it, because it helps. So I guess I used it to medicate, ok I admit to being weird. lol

LOL true the idea of an Elder's Quorum in Vest, Pants and Suspenders sends my mind in a completely different direction to that of an American :)

And to me an Ass is a donkey the British equivelent word sounds much ruder and would be by far the betetr choice if I wanted to use profanity amazing how many LDS rooms I got booted from for saying ass and meaning the animal lol

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

It has been clinically proven that caffeine does relieve migraine pain. The old treatments for migraine were caffeine with aspirin. (I know because my mother - an RN - had migraines when I was a kid.

applepansy

This I can testify to nothing stops my migraine faster or helps my Fibromyalgia pain better than a caffinated soda. Also found it really got me through a recent chest infection.

Personally i think until told otherwise its a matter for us to study in our minds, pray about and decide. My husband drinks a Pepsi. IRN BRU (Scottish drink), or Coca Cola about once every 6 months or so.

So for me in my household we don't very often but I do use it as a tool to help and my husband isn't going to lose his recommend. I have forgone other options to medicate that are against the word of wisdom and if it became a commandment would stop.

-Charley

The word of wisdom prohibits the use of the following:

1. Acohol

2. Tobacco

3. Tea

4. Coffee

5 Harmful drugs

LDS.org - Topic Definition - Word of Wisdom

"When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom. Illegal drugs can especially destroy those who use them. The abuse of prescription drugs is also destructive spiritually and physically."

I drink sugar free sodas that have caffeine. I suppose in the context of harmful drugs, I should stop. Many rationalize this to mean hard drugs.

So is caffeine harmful? It can be. It's interesting that we tend to single out Coke in context with what goes into the body to defile us, but what about what comes out of the body? Are we as concerned about swearing, profanity, verbal abuse, lying, etc? In how many degrees do we commit these daily and are they not just as bad as consuming caffeinated drinks? Which damages our spirit more?

Just my two cents.

It's interesting that we tend to single out Coke in context with what goes into the body to defile us, but what about what comes out of the body? Are we as concerned about swearing, profanity, verbal abuse, lying, etc? In how many degrees do we commit these daily and are they not just as bad as consuming caffeinated drinks? Which damages our spirit more?

Just my two cents.

Yea! (Says Prodigal_Son as he pops a top on his first guilt-free beer.)

Just joking.

Caffeine is a medication that can be bought without prescription, the same as aspirin. If aspirin was discovered today ti would be available only by prescription.

The Word of Wisdom is commandment. But it does not prohibit the use of substances for medicinal purposes. This is a discussion I've had with my bishop. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago. I have since developed other chronic pain and health issues, including migraine, dizziness, nausea, also Hashimoto's tyroiditis, Irritable bowel syndrome, non-obstructive sleep apnea, etc. Some of these problems are side effects of medications I take for pain. In the discussions with my bishop I learned that sometimes treating nausea with coke or even tea is preferrable and less harmful than the medications prescribed for nausea. Each person and their health issues are different and should be handled differently.

We must remember that when the earth was made the Lord placed helpful plants for the health and healing of man on it. I chose and continue to choose the Lord's medications over man's medications as much as is possible.

Its important that we not judge others on these issues. We can't know the whys and wherefores until we have actually walked in their shoes. I understand the reasons some people drink Coke and I do not think of it further. I also applaud those who are able to stop drinking Coke or other caffeinated sodas, or sodas at all, when they are drinking them just for something to drink. They will be healthier in the long run.

In the end this is an issue that is between the person and the Lord. The Bishop can help you decide if your choice is the right one.

applepansy

Caffeine is a medication that can be bought without prescription, the same as aspirin. If aspirin was discovered today ti would be available only by prescription.

The Word of Wisdom is commandment. But it does not prohibit the use of substances for medicinal purposes. This is a discussion I've had with my bishop. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years ago. I have since developed other chronic pain and health issues, including migraine, dizziness, nausea, also Hashimoto's tyroiditis, Irritable bowel syndrome, non-obstructive sleep apnea, etc. Some of these problems are side effects of medications I take for pain. In the discussions with my bishop I learned that sometimes treating nausea with coke or even tea is preferrable and less harmful than the medications prescribed for nausea. Each person and their health issues are different and should be handled differently.

I agree with your Bishop Apple still think why at 32 having had fibromyalgia very severely at times I am very healthy because I managed sometimes on coca cola and paracetomal instead of the miriad of strong medications I could take and have been offered. Without my caffinated drinks I would be dangerous looking after my children some evenings as I have no energy and cannot physically move.

Of the 50 or so people in our local Fibromyalgia group I am the only one to have spent time in a wheelchair and bedbound for over 5 years to a get up again and b not have any additional health problems

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

"60 minutes" April 7, 1996...

Mike Wallace: No alcohol, no tobacco, no coffee, no tea, not even caffeinated soft drinks...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Mike Wallace: ...eat meat sparingly, exercise...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Mike Wallace: ...get plenty of sleep.

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right. It's wonderful!

(That was the day I gave up my beloved Dr. Pepper!)