Do you drink Coke?

Pronto

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my many years in the Church, I have yet to see the Word of Wisdom state in any way, shape, or form, that we cannot drink coke. It is not mentioned at all. One of the Church Presidents, when asked about this, said that the Word of Wisdom states "hot drinks" which has been interpreted to mean coffee and tea.

Many members have added to the Word of Wisdom, and include sodas and chocolate, but this is their personal choice.

As with all things, we need to use common sense and moderation. If you choose to drink coke, fine, but also drink water. If you choose to not drink coke, then don't condemn the rest of us.

"60 minutes" April 7, 1996...

Mike Wallace: No alcohol, no tobacco, no coffee, no tea, not even caffeinated soft drinks...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Mike Wallace: ...eat meat sparingly, exercise...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Mike Wallace: ...get plenty of sleep.

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right. It's wonderful!

(That was the day I gave up my beloved Dr. Pepper!)

Last time I heard, when the Lord seeks to reveal a new revelation to His church, he doesn't do it during a Mike Wallace interview on prime time TV.

If I remember that interview correctly, they were ticking off interesting things about Mormons - not having Mike espouse doctrine and Pres. Hinckley agree with him.

My Bishop plainly told me that no, drinking coke won't keep you out of the temple.

LM

I don't drink coke. I tried it once and...oh gosh was it awful! Blech!

Then I had a college health class tell me how bad the frequent drinking of soda is for the body according to several medical studies on obesity. Net result is that I just don't drink soda almost at all. I have the occational (once every few months or so) root beer, but that's about it. Being one who is not prone to headaches or have any other real pain relieving needs nor frequent upset stomachs, I have no medical reasons to drink it.

For me, it doesn't matter if the prophet said not to drink Coke or not. You couldn't get me to drink a coke short of tying me down and forcing it down my throat :P

Does the church still own all or part of Coke or Coca-Cola? I think they did or maybe still do.

The church never did. That is a Mormon Urban Myth

I drink Coke and Barq's Root beer. I love Classic Coke from a fast food place with no ice. I prefer the root beer with lots of ice.

I limit myself to one soda a day. Anymore than that and I get leg,foot and midriff cramps so bad that I am crumpled over in pain. I then have to drink a quart or two of water and at least a tsp of salt or a quart of C2.

I used to drink two 6 packs of coke along with three pots of coffee a day. When I quit coffee, I increased the amount of cokes. Then I discovered the sodas were intensifying my cramping so I drastically cut back on the sodas.

Oh, did you all know that Sunqist Orange Soda has caffeine in it???

The word of wisdom prohibits the use of the following:

1. Acohol

2. Tobacco

3. Tea

4. Coffee

5 Harmful drugs

LDS.org - Topic Definition - Word of Wisdom

"When people purposefully take anything harmful into their bodies, they are not living in harmony with the Word of Wisdom. Illegal drugs can especially destroy those who use them. The abuse of prescription drugs is also destructive spiritually and physically."

I drink sugar free sodas that have caffeine. I suppose in the context of harmful drugs, I should stop. Many rationalize this to mean hard drugs.

So is caffeine harmful? It can be. It's interesting that we tend to single out Coke in context with what goes into the body to defile us, but what about what comes out of the body? Are we as concerned about swearing, profanity, verbal abuse, lying, etc? In how many degrees do we commit these daily and are they not just as bad as consuming caffeinated drinks? Which damages our spirit more?

Just my two cents.

I agree for the most part, but in the Word of Wisdom there is no absolute prohibition on alcohol consumption. If I remember correctly, it says no strong drink and wine except for wine during sacrament and mild barley drinks.

I am still trying to figure out why most members of the church use the Word of Wisdom as the reason why for absolutely no alcohol consumption? Doctrine and Covenants 89

Edited by ComeComeYeSaints

I agree for the most part, but in the Word of Wisdom there is no absolute prohibition on alcohol consumption. If I remember correctly, it says no strong drink and wine except for wine during sacrament and mild barley drinks.

I am still trying to figure out why most members of the church use the Word of Wisdom as the reason why for absolutely no alcohol consumption? Doctrine and Covenants 89

Your answer is because most members don't understand the verses in the manner that you do. Good thing that we still have modern prophets which do help clarify such murky scriptures as that.

James E. Faust said, "Stay away from intoxicating liquor" in The Enemy Within. Russell M. Nelson said, "We are not to drink alcoholic beverages." Addiction or Freedom Joseph B. Worthlin wondered aloud of the results of people living the Word of Wisdom and to "never abuse their bodies with alcoholic beverages" in Fruits of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

That is just to quote three of the people we sustain as "Prophets, Seers, and Revelators" nowdays. I am very greatful that Heavenly Father sees fit to clarify for everyone the truths of the gospel.

Guest Godless

I'm a beer man myself.

But on a serious note, I know many Mormons who drink caffeinated soda. My parents used to frown on it when I was younger, but my mother now drinks Pepsi on a fairly regular basis and she no longer has issues with my siblings and I drinking caffeinated sodas.

And on a side note, I visited SLC/Provo for a day with my family when I was a teenager. We ate lunch at the BYU cafeteria and I was quite taken aback by the fact that none of the vendors there seemed to sell caffeinated sodas. Weird.

I do sometimes.

But when I see those ads of someone take a sip of coke, and then their day is perfect and they're dancing around as if they've just drank the elixir of life ... I get very put off but such dishonest advertising.

Those ads annoy me because it's a sneaky way of saying "here! take our stimulant! damn all that healthy energy!"

When I have an upset tummy, I drink it, because it helps. So I guess I used it to medicate, ok I admit to being weird. lol

As for the point about profanity, what is profanity in one country is not in another. Even countries that speak a similar language ..ie USA and the UK, it can be quite funny, on occasion.

This reminds me of a story my husband tells. He went on his mission to England. One time he made the mistake of saying "fanny" to an older lady who proceeded to beat him with her purse! LMHO Apparently that wasn't a very nice word! :lol:

To answer the OP: No, I do not drink Coke. It's horribly unhealthy and not near as good as Pepsi! ;) LOL

I do drink Pepsi every now and then, but I used to drink 2 or 3 every day. I've cut back a lot lately, partly to lose weight and partly because caffeine really is so bad for you. Some do, some don't. We shouldn't according to Pres. Hinckley, but it's not a part of the WofW that will keep you from getting a temple recommend.

Just to make a point. None of the church temple cafeterias or vending machines have caffeine drinks of any kind in them for sale. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why, does it?

The Word of Wisdom D&C 89:s

5 That inasmuch as any man adrinketh bwine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, apure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, astrong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

8 And again, tobacco is not for the abody, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

Is there any argument that coke is considered a strong drink?

Have you ever wondered why Coke comes with a smile? It’s because it gets you high.

They took the cocaine out almost a hundred years ago. You know why? It was redundant.

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.

20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)

40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.

45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

This will all be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours. (As little as two if you’re a smoker.) But, hey, have another Coke, it’ll make you feel better.

Good people,

Is it against the Word of Wisdom to drink Coke?

LDS in Utah drink Coke but for some reason the LDS people in Australia don't - what is the real story?

The covenant of the Word of Wisdom does not include Coke. I have a personal covenant that excludes Coke. This is my covenant and not even my family's covenant. My wife and several of my children drink Coke. My covenant was made in part for my protection during the Vietnam era, during which I served in the military.

I believe we should all be most concerned about keeping our covenants and less concerned with how other keep their's.

The Traveler

Last time I heard, when the Lord seeks to reveal a new revelation to His church, he doesn't do it during a Mike Wallace interview on prime time TV.

If I remember that interview correctly, they were ticking off interesting things about Mormons - not having Mike espouse doctrine and Pres. Hinckley agree with him.

My Bishop plainly told me that no, drinking coke won't keep you out of the temple.

LM

No, Coke will not keep you out of the temple. . . on the other hand, I don't care where the prophet speaks I'll choose to listen and apply his counsel in my life as much as is possible. Commandments always come from the pulpit, those I always try to live to the best of my ability. Still repenting. . . :D

But. . . aren't we all still repenting? I would hope so.

applepansy

No, Coke will not keep you out of the temple. . . on the other hand, I don't care where the prophet speaks I'll choose to listen and apply his counsel in my life as much as is possible. Commandments always come from the pulpit, those I always try to live to the best of my ability. Still repenting. . . :D

But. . . aren't we all still repenting? I would hope so.

applepansy

I think the important thing to remember is that the commandments come from the pulpit (either General Conference or read over your ward pulpit). What isn't commanded there is open to personal interpretation. If you want to accept what a prophet says on 60 Minute as doctrine, go right ahead. Just make sure you clarify that you're doing so instead of declaring it doctrine for the whole Church. I think sometimes we flirt too much with that line of what's personal and what's general interpretation.

I don't mean to accuse you apple...you actually do a better job than most when it comes to clarifying what is your view and what is the Church's official policy. There are some here that could learn a lesson or two from your example.

If we look closer at the doctrine of the Word of Wisdom, it has something to do with our agency. Since agency is one of the precious gifts we received when we came here on earth, we need to take care of it. Substances that mess up our judgment are those included in the Word of Wisdom. They make us dependent upon them hence loosing our agency to these substances. If one feels that drinking Coke is becoming habitual and he cannot resist it, then he better stop drinking it. Actually, chocolates and Mountain Dew have a higher caffeine content than Coke. So if we don't drink Coke but love chocolates, then we are not better off. That's why it's called Word of Wisdom . . . we need to use our good judgment when taking in substances if it will become habitual and take away our agency.