Do you drink Coke?

Pronto

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've asked two different bishops and discussed the subject with several members, and all of those people told me that cola drinks are not prohibited. I do know some members who personally choose not to drink them because of their caffeine content, acid content, sugar content, etc.

I myself have sharply cut back because I've had to have some of my front teeth replaced and was told by my dentist that he sees a lot of that with soda drinkers. That and when I hit my 30's I started having issues with my weight, so I'm trying to cut back on sugar as well. We no longer have it in our house, and I only drink it when we go out to eat (which is very, very rare) or on special occasions like a birthday party or something.

I was told by someone once that we as members focus so much on the DON'Ts of the WoW, but if we would focus more on the DOs then that would really take care of a lot of our health and dietary issues.

Good people,

Is it against the Word of Wisdom to drink Coke?

LDS in Utah drink Coke but for some reason the LDS people in Australia don't - what is the real story?

I think people should worry about what is actually there before adding to the revelation with stuff like Coca-Cola.

Fruit in it's season, wheat for man, sparing on the meat (best in times of winter of famine) are ACTUALLY there, Coke isn't.

BTW, I've been on a Dr. Pepper kick as of late, weird because I usually only drink it when I go to the movies.

My personal opinion is No. However, if she's concerned about it she should discuss it with her bishop or branch president.

applepansy

Thanks for your sincerety in replying but I only threw that out there to see if people understand there is no significant value from drinking soda with the exception of health issues, from stopping a person from entering the Celestial Kingdom. Besides that, I am in church leadership position to council her if needed. :lol:

Theobromine is better than caffeine...cocoa mmmmm.

trivia of the day:

Humans are also susceptible to chocolate poisoning if enough is ingested. The lethal dose is placed at around 10 kg (22lbs) due to theobromine.

Death by chocolate...and you thought it was just a cutesy name.

Edited by WANDERER

10kg,that is a LOT of chocolate,and my guess is it'd have to be straight-up dark stuff.

To answer the main thread question, yes I do drink Coke,as well as this drink we have in the UK called Irn-Bru. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not,but it's got abigger caffene punch than Coke.

Here's another tidbit that may ormay not have been posted.

My grandmother would put in a can of Coca-Cola into the wash to get the really greasy, grubby stains her husband and kids got from working on the farm and the Tractor. Now,this was the 50's and 60's, so I don't know how much has changed since then.

My grandmother would put in a can of Coca-Cola into the wash to get the really greasy, grubby stains her husband and kids got from working on the farm and the Tractor. Now,this was the 50's and 60's, so I don't know how much has changed since then.

Well, it might be worth trying. If the shirt is already badly stained anyway, then it can't really make it worse. Thanks for the tip.

I think some members make far too big a deal out of this subject...

Others' views are different, but I don't see it as a problem at all as long as you don't become dependent on it (i.e., need it to 'wake up'). Same could be said for almost any food/drink that is not expressly prohibited in D&C 89...

Personally, I don't drink it that often, because it's really unhealthy..more so for the insane amount of sugar in it than for the caffeine for me..

My wife drinks Pepsi Max. Will this stop her getting into the Celestial Kingdom?

When I was on my mission I met a crazy guy (had 8 children, wanted to move his family to a farm so they could grow all of their own food..) who would've said YES in answer to your question....the very mention of 'mountain dew' sent him on some sort of righteous tirade about the subject.. Edited by desert_fox

For the sake of discussion: Here are the appropriate WofW scriptures.

The Word of Wisdom D&C 89:s

5 That inasmuch as any man adrinketh bwine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, apure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, astrong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

8 And again, tobacco is not for the abody, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

Many posters to this thread take a position if I understand correctly, that Coke is okay as a drink of choice, not against the WofW, and therefore using it is not breaking any commandment not violating the W of W.

\

I have two questions:

First: When going for your temple recommend do you volunteer the information to the Bishop and Stake Pres. that a Caffeine based beverage is your drink of choice IE: Coke, Mountain Dew, etc.

Second: if Coke is okay in this regard, should the use of Coffee or Tea be viewed differently? If so, Why?

Edited by lilered

My wife drinks Pepsi Max. Will this stop her getting into the Celestial Kingdom?

Hemi: In all honesty, there are a lot of minor human actions that one could additionally place in a catagory of "Will these keep one out of Celestial Kingdom"? I.E. smoked a cigar once when I was 22.

It my belief that the W of W as well as the Payment of Tithing etc. are also about our willingness to curtail/control our passions and desires and be obediant to Gods commandments and guidance. In this regard, those who are able to bridal their desires and passions and be obediant will expierence more of Gods blessings, joy, and happiness.:)

When going for your temple recommend do you volunteer the information to the Bishop and Stake Pres. that a Caffeine based beverage is your drink of choice IE: Coke, Mountain Dew, etc.

While caffeinated drinks are not my "drink of choice", as I buy my Diet Mountain Dew "caffeine-free" MOST of the time, I do drink the caffeine version when the other is not available. On my very first interview for a Temple recommend, I DID bring up that very subject, and was told that I was not "breaking" the Word of Wisdom. Even so, I drink the caffeinated pop rarely.