Do you drink Coke?

Pronto

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"60 minutes" April 7, 1996...

Mike Wallace: No alcohol, no tobacco, no coffee, no tea, not even caffeinated soft drinks...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Mike Wallace: ...eat meat sparingly, exercise...

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Mike Wallace: ...get plenty of sleep.

Gordon B. Hinckley: Right. It's wonderful!

(That was the day I gave up my beloved Dr. Pepper!)

Funny, of all the ways that I would expect a prophet to reveal God's will to his people, having a televised conversation with Mike Wallace would not be it. It is amazing to me that people could think this is how Pres Hinckley would choose to communicate to all the members of the church...

I have two questions:

First: When going for your temple recommend do you volunteer the information to the Bishop and Stake Pres. that a Caffeine based beverage is your drink of choice IE: Coke, Mountain Dew, etc.

Our ward serves sodas at get-togethers. My bishop and stake leaders have seen me drink it, and I've seen them drink it.

Second: if Coke is okay in this regard, should the use of Coffee or Tea be viewed differently? If so, Why?

Yes, they are expressly prohibited by the WoW, soda drinks are not. We do not know why coffee and tea are prohibited. Many people assume it is for their caffeine content, but at no time have the scriptures or church leaders stated that this is so.

Similarly, I know someone who takes "hot drinks" to mean that literally: hot. He drinks no hot cocoa, no hot tea, no hot coffee, no hot apple cider, yet he thinks that iced tea and cappuchinos are okay because they're not hot. :rolleyes:

Rockwoodchev, I agree with you. I cannot recall a single instance in which church leaders have said, "Soda drinks are breaking the WoW." I don't think an interview with Mike Wallace in which Gordon B. Hinckley was responding to a multi-part question counts as prophetic revelation.

Hemi: In all honesty, there are a lot of minor human actions that one could additionally place in a catagory of "Will these keep one out of Celestial Kingdom"? I.E. smoked a cigar once when I was 22.

I think Hemi was being facetious in that post, trying to make the point that some people worry too much about small things that don't matter as much in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by MormonMama

I was told by someone awhile back that chocolate doesn't actually contain caffeine, but contains a substance that is a cousin of caffeine which doesn't produce the same results. They even had links to articles to back up their information.

Unfortunately I don't remember where I knew this person from (it was another board I haven't visited in a long time), so I no longer have access to their post.

Hemi: In all honesty, there are a lot of minor human actions that one could additionally place in a catagory of "Will these keep one out of Celestial Kingdom"? I.E. smoked a cigar once when I was 22.

It my belief that the W of W as well as the Payment of Tithing etc. are also about our willingness to curtail/control our passions and desires and be obediant to Gods commandments and guidance. In this regard, those who are able to bridal their desires and passions and be obediant will expierence more of Gods blessings, joy, and happiness.:)

You failed to understand what and why it was given. Cigar is smoking and smoking is a violation of the WOW. Isn't it? Bad analogy.

I do understand your point but using your own opinions, even taking Aspirin everyday is no different from drinking soda everyday. Right?

What is being expressed here, many of the old Jewish clerics followed the letter of the law [Moses] but did not have the faith in the gospel and placed themselves above others of the same culture [pride]. Where are they now? Not even in the Celestial Kingdom.

True, we must control our passions, bridal our weaknesses, and curb our appetite, but not at the expense of building the kingdom or the spreading the gospel of Christ.

Let me add, can you actually feel the Holy Ghost everyday? I know people who drink soda and still enjoy that companionship.

My questions were really designed to point out the difference between drinking Coke/Pepsi etc. versus Coffee or Tea. All contain caffeine. I have many LDS friends and acquaintances that regularly drink caffeine cold drinks but would never think of drinking coffee or tea.

So is there a difference as it pertains to the Church, keeping the WofW, and obtaining a Temple Recommend.

The answer is yes, there is a difference as near as I am able to establish.

Many members of the Church abstain from cola drinks as part of their personal application of the Word of Wisdom. But, use of cola products does not result in a restriction of Church privileges (Temple Recommend), while the use of coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol, or illicit drugs certainly would.

The reason is the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter (coke), but the leaders of the Church have advised, and they do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided. This is the same position that President Hinkley was taking.

Moderation in all things my Bro. & Sisters is the key.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by lilered

As a general policy, I try to stay away from soda completely. I've found I feel much better drinking just water than I ever did on soda. Plus, I don't even have to worry about whether what I am drinking goes against the WoW.

I agree with you. Soda is not my "drink of choice" because I've already had to have a few of my teeth replaced and two different dentists have told me they see a lot of that with soda and tea drinkers (due to the acid).

I still drink soda, but only on special occasions, which are rare for me. For me, it's a health issue. But if church leaders suddenly said that soda drinks violate the WoW, I would cut them out altogether.

I drink coke sometimes. Just like I drink 7 up sometimes and water sometimes. I don't drink it because of the caffeine but I do not drink it on a regular basis because of the caffeine. The same way I don't drink soda on a regular basis because of all the sugar. I see caffeine a lot like sugar. A little bit (chocolate!) no problem, on a continued basis, big problem (though for different reasons.)

Guest HEthePrimate

Good people,

Is it against the Word of Wisdom to drink Coke?

LDS in Utah drink Coke but for some reason the LDS people in Australia don't - what is the real story?

I drink Coke. But then, I don't live in Australia! :P

Abstaining from Caffeine you better stop eating anything that contains coco. Does everyone see this impecunious reasoning here? This is why we do not add to the Wow but leave it in the hands of the priesthood/sisterhood bearer of today's culture behavior.

It is part of the WoW? The answer is no! In today's soda, there are far more dangerous health repercussion than Caffeine and one of them is common across all brands and does anyone know what is very harmful for the skeleton joints?

Abstaining from Caffeine you better stop eating anything that contains coco. Does everyone see this impecunious reasoning here? This is why we do not add to the Wow but leave it in the hands of the priesthood/sisterhood bearer of today's culture behavior.

It is part of the WoW? The answer is no! In today's soda, there are far more dangerous health repercussion than Caffeine and one of them is common across all brands and does anyone know what is very harmful for the skeleton joints?

High fructose corn syrup?

are far more dangerous health repercussion than Caffeine and one of them is common across all brands and does anyone know what is very harmful for the skeleton joints?

The carbonation in all soft drinks causes calcium loss in the bones through a three-stage process:

• The carbonation irritates the stomach.
  • The stomach "cures" the irritation the only way it knows how. It adds the only antacid at its disposal: calcium. It gets this from the blood.
  • The blood, now low on calcium, replenishes its supply from the bones. If it did not do this, muscular and brain function would be severely impaired.

The carbonation in all soft drinks causes calcium loss in the bones through a three-stage process:

• The carbonation irritates the stomach.
  • The stomach "cures" the irritation the only way it knows how. It adds the only antacid at its disposal: calcium. It gets this from the blood.
  • The blood, now low on calcium, replenishes its supply from the bones. If it did not do this, muscular and brain function would be severely impaired.

Is this why I cramp up bad after I have had 26 oz or more of soda??