Do you believe in ghosts?

bodhigirlsmiles

Collection of visions or dreams indicate this but at least women and children were present. :lol:

Charley, even in John's vision, he could only account what he saw, the symbolism of resurrected animals from various worlds that reached the level of being in GOD's presence. Are animals resurrected? To what end? Will they become GODs? Is there progression for animals? Not to deter from the OP topic but adding ponderous moments here.

ok my only real experience is the 3 pets I have had in my life. (not counting goldfish which I hated)

My first real pet was Sally I had her 16 years, she was a bout 5-6 when I got her. She arrived filthy, terrified and really skinny. But she protected me throughout my teens in a variety of ways including preventing what could have been a nasty rape. When I married Richard she adored him too she really recognised the Priesthood Power and it became clear she was asking for blessings on occasion towards the end of her life. When we knew she was dying she had a deathbed blessing, it told her she could die now because I had someone who could protect me, and that Heavenly Father said no dog could have done more, and her loyalty assured her a place by his side, and she would die warm knowing everyone around her loved her. However courtesy of my Mother she also had a serious cigarette habit (only dog I ever knew would go towards a lit cigarette) and she had particular fondness for malt whiskey.

I have a cat Sylvie who is similar it is obvious she is doing all she can within being a cat.

However my dog Lucy is very much a dumb dog lol and doesn't seem to have a spirit that wants to progress like my other pets.

I do believe Sally or Sylvie are as likely as my Father in Law (Grandad Apple), or My Gran or Grandad to be spirits that protect my children when it is needed, not that Sylvie is dead but she would never allow anything bad to happen to my son.

I know there have been times my Gran has been by my side and one of my Aunty's when I have seriously needed them - as a teen I had times when them and Sally were all I had.

-Charley

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SisterofJared

I don't know..I tend to believe in something along that line. Perhaps not a ghost but the spirit of someone who passed away.

I remember about 15 years ago a guy I went to high school with passed away. He had been living with his brother up until the time of his death (who was also a good friend of mine). After Marcus passed away Andy could still feel him in the house. Things that belonged to Marcus would be moved. Lights would turn on. Once Andy announced out loud..Marcus your time on earth is done. You need to move on...never had anything happen again.

I've always believed that there could be times that a spirit gets caught between here and the next place.

Disclaimer: this is only the gospel of pam

I agree.

• 8 months later...

I definitely believe in "ghosts" or evil spirits as I like to think of them. I was walking toward our van one night, and I saw a face pressed up against the window. It looked around, and then caught sight of me. I can't tell you how scary his smile was.

Unfortunately, we still have the van.

If you notice in any paradisaical vision given, something is always missing - animals.

John's Revelation and a few others do show animals in the visions. Also, Joseph Smith once said he looked forward to having his favorite horse with him in the next life. Clearly there is a connection that goes on, even for animals.

While I actually consider it "Gospel Theories to Consider" Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:

▌Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, Pg.62

▌ PRE-EXISTENCE OF ALL CREATURES

▌ ALL LIFE CREATED IN THE SPIRIT. Every creature had a spiritual existence.

▌The spirits of men, beasts, and all animal life, existed before the

▌foundations of the earth were laid, and are living entities.As death,

▌through the fall, has passed upon all, so the resurrection, through the

▌mission of Jesus Christ, comes to all.

▌Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, Pg.63 - Pg.64

▌ FORM OF ANIMAL SPIRITS. The fish, the fowl, the beasts of the field,

▌lived before they were placed naturally in this earth, and so did the plants

▌that are upon the face of the earth. The spirits that possess the bodies of

▌the animals are in the similitude of their bodies. In other words, the bodies

▌of animals conform to the spirits which possess them, and which existed before

▌they were placed on the earth; "that which is spiritual being in the likeness

▌of that which is temporal; and that which is temporal in the likeness of that

▌which is spiritual; the spirit of man in the likeness of his person, as also

▌the spirit of the beast, and every other creature which God has created."

Edited by rameumptom

I believe that ghosts are the spirits of the dead (disembodied spirits), who are now in the Spirit World. We know from Brigham Young's teachings that the Spirit World is right here on earth. Since it is so close, the veil can become thin at times.

In the Spirit World are both good and evil spirits, which is why we can see both.

Of course, we can also occasionally see angels; and devils (who are unembodied spirits) can attempt to deceive us as well.

• 1 year later...

Every human that has ever died is either resurrected or remains a ghost to this day. They are all around us, billions of them. With them are also an unknown number of spirits who are yet to have been born and even more who are on this earth but will never be born. We are ghosts in a body. There is nothing scary or evil about it.

So everyone who dies either gets resurrected or roams the earth as a ghost? Can you give me any evidence to back this up? Where in the Bible does it say this?

I prefer to, but some times when I have used that term with my fellow LDS, they draw a blank stare. Have to add, "...you know, the Holy Ghost" and they say, "Oh yeah". I have never understood that since I am certain they must have heard the term Holy Spirit somewhere before.

But I remember way back (I was spending a lot of time with my Catholic relatives) and it was a time when I was baptizing this fellow and I said "The Father and the Son and the "Holy Spirit""

And I at once had to do it over.:(

It was very needful that I follow the correct formula.:o

Where in the Bible does it say this?

I would like you to consider this...

We read in Luke 23 Jesus Christ is hung on the cross, next to him are two transgressors.

One asks the Lord to remember him v. 42

in v. 43 Jesus replies that today they would be together in paradise. That was on Friday.

Later on Sunday, Jesus is resurrected and tells Mary outside the tomb John 20 :17 'touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father'

Since we know that Jesus did not lie to either of them, we know that the paradise that He spoke of to the transgressor was not the same place as where He would ascend to be with His Father.

Paradise and Heaven are not the same place. If Jesus did not go to heaven, then where did He go?

Here is something else to consider. We go to heaven after judgment, according to our works. Now we know from many scriptures, including Matthew 19 :28 that the twelve apostles will sit in judgement with Jesus to judge the twelve tribes.

Now the tribes had been around for hundreds of years before the twelve apostles were even born, where were all these dead people while they were waiting for judgement?

Wonder if the origin of this was in support of good old Anglo-Saxon ghost as opposed to that Norman usage of Spirit. The King James committee did not want to slip a French word into and English Bible.

I don't think so, since the word spirit is in the KJV all over the place.

I really think it is because the word 'spirit' has so many more meanings in our language, so it is more likely to be misinterpreted by those who are hearing it. The word Ghost leaves less room for error in the minds of the hearers.

Edited by jayanna

I don't think so, since the word spirit is in the KJV all over the place.

I really think it is because the word 'spirit' has so many more meanings in our language, so it is more likely to be misinterpreted by those who are hearing it. The word Ghost leaves less room for error in the minds of the hearers.

In the New Testament you will find the word "Ghost" attached to a person who had a earthly body.

In the book of Moses and the Book of Mormon "Ghost" is in reference to Jesus and His work in the flesh and not his pre -earth life as the destroyer.

Gosh I hope I am remembering this right:confused:

Paradise and Heaven are not the same place. If Jesus did not go to heaven, then where did He go?

I don't think the issue is that there are spirits (ghosts if you prefer) waiting in Paradise, Spirit Prison and Heaven (the yet to be born would be this last group) I think gina is interpreting a-train's comment "all around us" to mean that all those spirits waiting for their various reasons are doing so here on earth in our midst.

I believe that the spirits of our deceased loved ones can come to check in on us from time to time, just to see how we are doing. Or just watch over us from where they are, as in they know whatever we are doing and where we are. If we see, hear, or feel anything, its just their loving presence surrounding us. And you have to be a very spiritual person to experience that.

I also believe that bad or evil spirits probably think its funny as heck to mess with us, by appearing to us, acting like a haunting "ghost". They would do something like that just because they know it will shake your faith in what the bible tells you. Or they may take the form of a loved one to gain your trust, or to just plain mess with your head, and cause emotional turmoil.

I don't care if anyone thinks I am crazy or what... But I HAVE seen and heard spirits. Mostly in my grandma's house, and over in Europe (man, there are some NASTY ones over there, let me tell you!). But I believe they were just evil / bad spirits. Not ghosts, or souls who once lived as humans. They're too horrible for that. I know there are some bad people in this world, but these "things" make even the most evil human look like a choir boy. As for my grandma's house-- there is just some nightmarishly bad energy among the 9 people living there. Very dark pasts, and a lot of anger. I think it invites bad things-- yes I think that if you invite or encourage bad spirits, they will come around you more than others. Hence why I almost never go in my granmda's house.

But I do not believe that good spirits, or our loved ones (or any human who has died) would hang around grave yards, houses, or the scene of their demise, so they can move objects, appear before us, or make spooky sounds... Oh I'm sure they could if they wanted to, but they probably believe that its in OUR best interest that they don't (and it might be against the rules for them).

We all think we want to see a spirit, but... If it were to happen, it would terrify the heck out of you, beyond words! Even if it was a good spirit.

I speak from personal experience-- if it happened, you would FREAK! You would feel your pupils dilate, your eyes would widen, your breath would catch in your throat, and your heart would stop, right before it raced off at 200 miles an hour! Then you would either trip over yourself backing up to run away, or you would just freeze there.

When it was over, you would either convince yourself that you were dreaming, or that you hadn't slept enough, or you'd hit your head, ate/drank something funny, or you were going nuts. Or you'd start telling everyone about it, and swearing it really happened-- which would cause everyone around you to think you were a complete wacko.

The only reason I'm calm and ok, is because I have convinced myself that it was just bad spirits, messing with me. So instead of letting them intimidate me, I used the experience as further proof that God does in fact exist. If there is a hell and evil spirits, then there is a heaven and a god too. And while they did succeed in scaring me half to death at the moment (haha, very funny)-- the best thing to do is recognize it for what it is. Then get over it, and blow it off. Don't let if fool you, and don't let it mess up your faith in any way.

Our loved ones (and angels) know all this, and they don't want to scare us by appearing. Not unless there is an extremely good reason for doing so. They're not trying to scare us for kicks, or make us end up in a loony bin. And even if you truly did believe that they had appeared to you-- it wouldn't do you any good. Again, not unless they came to present you with a special, god-assigned mission or something. The important thing in this life (to god at least) is for us to have FAITH in something we cannot see. And by a spirit showing themselves, they are taking that test and trial away from us. It only happens to special people, for special reasons. Or again, if bad spirits are just being jerks. But doing it "just because" is probably a huge no-no in heaven, for all the above reasons.

Edited by Melissa569

We read in Luke 23 Jesus Christ is hung on the cross, next to him are two transgressors.

in v. 43 Jesus replies that today they would be together in paradise. That was on Friday.

Later on Sunday, Jesus is resurrected and tells Mary outside the tomb John 20 :17 'touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father'

Since we know that Jesus did not lie to either of them, we know that the paradise that He spoke of to the transgressor was not the same place as where He would ascend to be with His Father.

Here is something else to consider. We go to heaven after judgment, according to our works. Now we know from many scriptures, including Matthew 19 :28 that the twelve apostles will sit in judgement with Jesus to judge the twelve tribes.

Now the tribes had been around for hundreds of years before the twelve apostles were even born, where were all these dead people while they were waiting for judgement?

Hi jayanna,

well...unfortunately what you wrote doesn't say anything about ghosts. I would really have to stretch my imagination and really read something into the verses in order to even say it alludes to it.

Not sure the Holy Bible is meant to be approached that way.

Hi jayanna,

well...unfortunately what you wrote doesn't say anything about ghosts. I would really have to stretch my imagination and really read something into the verses in order to even say it alludes to it.

Not sure the Holy Bible is meant to be approached that way.

I have to agree with gina on this one. The Bible does mention spirits but they are angels and demons. It says absolutely nothing about the dead coming back as disembodied spirits. Ecclesiastes 9: 5, 6 tells us that the dead know NOTHING.The apostle Paul said to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Luke 16:19-31 talks about a beggar and a rich man. The beggar was in Abraham's bosom and the rich man was in another place in torment. There was a gulf between them meaning one could not visit the other. Abraham's bosom is paradise where the Christian dead (those who believed in Jesus Christ) go waiting for the return of Christ.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word used to describe the realm of the dead is sheol, which means place of the dead or the place of departed souls/spirits. The New Testament Greek word that is used for hell is hades, which also refers to the place of the dead. Sheol/hades is a temporary place, where souls are kept as they await the final resurrection and judgment. Rev 20:11-15 gives a distinction between the two. Hell (the lake of fire) is the permanent and final place of judgment for the lost. Hades is a temporary place. Jesus did not go to hell because hell is a future realm, only put into effect after the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11-15).

The place where Christ's soul went between His death and resurrection is also called paradise. Christ promised the thief on the cross that on that very day that he would be with Him in paradise. Its obvious that the thief on the cross was not with Christ in the tomb, nor were they ghosts wandering aimlessly on the earth, but the thief was with Him in paradise

Actually, that wasn't from me, that is something taught in "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder" It can explain it a lot better than I can, check it out sometime :)

Hi jayanna,

I am familiar with LeGrand Richards. One of the interesting things he wrote was this, referring to the BoM: "Truly, it has a familiar spirit.."

Yet ”familiar” as in "familiar spirit", when used in Scripture never means something warm and cozy. Look at Isaiah. 8: 19 and 2 Ne. 18: 19:

…unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep and mutter…

It refers to witchcraft and necromancy which is forbidden by God.

My search for Truth always leads me to one source, God's word, the Holy Bible. :)

Hi jayanna,

I am familiar with LeGrand Richards. One of the interesting things he wrote was this, referring to the BoM: "Truly, it has a familiar spirit.."

Yet ”familiar” as in "familiar spirit", when used in Scripture never means something warm and cozy. Look at Isaiah. 8: 19 and 2 Ne. 18: 19:

…unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep and mutter…

It refers to witchcraft and necromancy which is forbidden by God.

My search for Truth always leads me to one source, God's word, the Holy Bible. :)

Can you provide a reference for this? And how do you know it was meant in the same way as what is mentioned in the scriptures?

I could say, "As I've traveled to numerous wards around the country, there is a familiar spirit." That doesn't mean I'm talking about wizards and witchcraft.

Edited by pam

I found the quote:

“Now, obviously, the only way a dead people could speak ‘out of the ground’ or ‘low out of the dust’ would be by the written word, and this the people did through the book of Mormon. Truly it has a familiar spirit, for it contains the words of the prophets of the God of Israel” (LeGrand Richards, Marvelous Work and a Wonder, 1979 edition, pp. 67-68)

Let's not take this out of context.

I, for one, agree that some portions of A Marvelous Work and a Wonder, including Elder Richards' use of the "familiar spirit" terminology, are somewhat problematic and perhaps unwarranted in light of the context in which the Bible was written.

But that's neither here nor there, Gina; because it looks to me like Graig used strictly Biblical sources to arrive at the same position that Jayanna was advocating: that the temporary realm of the dead, wherever it is, is *not* the same as what we call "heaven". (I acknowledge that we can quibble over whether the Father is present in that realm, based on whether one embraces the Trinity or not--as I'm sure you are aware; we Mormons reject the idea of a Trinity and thus would say that the Father is not in this realm that Graig calls "sheol/hades"; I surmise that someone who accepts that Jesus and the Father are one and the same Being would take the opposite view.)

But as to your earliest post to this thread: As a Mormon, I feel it neither necessary nor desirable to limit my doctrinal positions to what may be found within the Bible.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I have had a few encounters over my lifetime.Most recent,the house I live in with my family has been having activity. My 8 yo duaghter stated she heard someone breathing while on the computer and I heard the same a week later. My wife then heard the breathing and confirmed my daughter and I were not crazy after all. My wife and I while watching tv saw a shadow pass by and no soure to cast a shadow. We have heard voices,laughing etc. I even saw something walk across my bedroom and enter my wifes closet at 0300hrs. My children were in bed and my wife at work.So yes I believe spirits can be here and witnessed by those paying attention. The vale may be thin or maybe a person is suppose to have an experience to help with a situation. Not sure why they are here but very confident they are.