Fast Facts

Hemidakota

Another beginning for those who know it all. :lol: Let start with this facts about Veterans.

Veteran’s Day

Veteran’s Day was originally known as Armistice Day, because the eleventh hour of that day—the eleventh of the eleventh month—marked the end of World War I hostilities in 1918. It was renamed in 1954 to commemorate veterans.

Currently there are about 25 million living veterans.

About 48 million Americans have served in the military since 1776.

“Veteran” comes from the Latin vetus, meaning “old.”

Veterans may include anyone who has served in the army, excepting those with dishonorable discharge but including those who may not have seen combat.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than 5,600 men died while building the Panama Canal. Today, it takes more than 8,000 workers to run and maintain the canal. It takes a ship an average of 33 hours to travel the length of the canal. :D

Approximately 25,000 workers died during the building of the Panama Canal, and approximately 20,000 of them contracted malaria and yellow fever.

Well which one is it Hemi???

Are you saying that of those 25,000, only 5,600 were men?

"Fingernails grow about 3 times faster than toenails."

I didn't know that but it explains why I have to cut my baby's fingernails every two weeks, but her toenails only every couple of months.

The numbers "172" can be found on the back of a US $5 bill, in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln memorial.

Where's some cash when I need it? I'm not the only one who went looking for a $5 bill, am I?

Edited by Wingnut