Probiotics anyone (Home made yogurt)

RobertP

At times I have tested food storage 100% and always find that the food gets heavy and boring. I have never found a way around this. Fresh milk and eggs at the very least seem to take the edge off. Powdered milk or just plain water get old and heavy. I get to a point where I have to decide if I am more hungry or more sick of the choices available.

Although an acquired taste that many may not like at first, may I suggest home made yogurt as a partial solution. This takes the edge off the monotony and contributes to digestion.

Almost everyone has a yogurt maker. Put a 60 watt bulb in your oven, crack it open with a thick folded towel, and if you have a thermometer, make sure it doesn't go over 115º F, mine stays around 105º this way.

I have also closed the door, it gets to about 125º F and dehydrates some food.

Find a yogurt starter that you like, or you can start by buying plain yogurt and putting a tablespoon into a quart of boiled (to kill the bacteria and only use the bacteria you provde as a starter) and cooled to no more than 110 degrees, it won't burn your wrist at all to touch the container but will be comfortably warm, and let sit at least 12 hours, 24 hours is better if someone is lactose intolerant. The bacteria will take the lactose content down 95+ percent during this extra time. Store yogurt tends to culture for 8-12 hours I am told.

Voila, happy yogurt that is alive and will help digest some of that dead dried stuff you are eating. Could take the edge off some of the discomfort if something like this were actually used. I have taken powdered milk from heavy and boring to alive and fresh this way, and some may not mind adding it to milk to get the best of both worlds.

I have gotten at least 10 generations out of this, so it saves the starter even more. There are many additional benefits to probiotics, improved immune, stronger digestion, healthy intestinal walls, so many other things. Seems to me a good and simple thing to add to any preparedness program.

This is even easier with powdered milk since you can boil the water pretty much on high without burning it, and then adding a cup of thick powdered milk mixed already so it isn't lumpy. I use 1 scoop sweet dairy whey and 1 scoop casein protein to one quart water, sometimes a little whey but this isn't good for yogurt I don't think. Turn the heat down, stir while it gets back to boiling.

There is no oil in this and no high fructose corn syrup from normal powdered milk recipes, so I am not sure how those milk powders would ferment, but I imagine they would be fine.

There are many strains of bacteria, so you can choose between strong digestion, smooth and creamy, different mixes.

That is a great idea, but a better one is to use the starter like you said, cover them in a thick (relatively speaking) towell, and then set the Kerr jars on a heating pad. Don't disturb or look at them for 12 hours or so. When the yogurt has set it is FABULOUS!!!! People in our Stake can't believe is not store-bought. See below for flavoring it.

Now this is way cool!!! After it is set, put it in the fridge overnight. the next day, take a pan boil a Cup of water, add a small package of Jello (whichever flavor you like) and then add the yogurt after you have dissoved the jello. Mix it together with the yogurt then put it back in the Kerr (canning ) jar and back in the fridge. The orange, raspberry, etc are to die for.

But, because there is not stabilizer it kind of separates after a couple of days, and you can't mix it together, but it shoud be gone by then.

That's how we do it in the Chaldeas - we use a current bush for power.

Abraham

Yoghurt Recipe for milk powder

1 and 1/3 cups powdered milk (full cream)

1/3 cup sugar

teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons of starter using the easiyo sachet (yoghurt maker product, keeps in fridge in a sealed container for ages)

put all of the above into the easiyo jar, 1/2 fill with cold tap water,shake until sugar looks disolved, top up with more tap water.Put into the easiyo thermos,with boiling water over night.

Turns out pretty thick. Keep in fridge. Stir back in whey if it separates or drain whey and make a kind of yoghurt cream cheese from the solids remaining using a cheese cloth to squeeze the liquid out (it's also good to use in other recipes in the place of water).

A yoghurt maker is like a vaccuum flask with a sealed container inside for the yoghurt and you pour hot water in the outside container and put the outside lid on it and forget about it while it cultures. Simple to do. That's how we do it Oz style.

• 3 months later...

I have been making my own yogurt for a few months now. I use a thermos but they don't always turn out the same. I don't mind if my yogurt is not very thick because I can always drain it for making yogurt cheese. I actually enjoying making my own yogurt. My question is, with all the hypes about pre and probiotics I am getting a bit confused. When I make my own yogurt (I use skim powdered milk from the Church and 1% milk from the store) do I still get the pre and probiotics as what they advertise on TV? Do I need to buy active culture from a health food store in order to get those?

Guest Ceeboos_Boss

Well if you all can make homemade yoghurt can someone tell me how to make homemade laundry soap? I looked online but there is just so many to choose from and plus id like to know if it works well and if you like it?

Thanks

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Having tried different starters, sometimes the starter makes all the difference in the flavor and quality. I have gone for digestive strength myself, so taste takes a bit of a back seat, nothing honey and vanilla won't fix in appropriate quantities. How do you make Kefir? I have heard it's harder, and easier, but when I have checked, it looks the same as yogurt. Haven't dug much into it I guess. Similar bacteria names for both starters. Is it a different process with the same bacteria?

Edited by RobertP

Having tried different starters, sometimes the starter makes all the difference in the flavor and quality. I have gone for digestive strength myself, so taste takes a bit of a back seat, nothing honey and vanilla won't fix in appropriate quantities.

How do you make Kefir? I have heard it's harder, and easier, but when I have checked, it looks the same as yogurt. Haven't dug much into it I guess. Similar bacteria names for both starters. Is it a different process with the same bacteria?

I have only found milk fat for storage in a separate container, not in a powdered milk. It is milk fat you buy for storage. I have not tried it so can't really comment on it.