Getting Started

the_last_gunslinger

This may be kind of a silly question, but how do I get started with family history searching? Who do I talk to, what kind of resources are out there and how can I keep track of everything that is found?

I've been wanting to do genealogy for a long time, but haven't had the slightest idea of how to go about doing it. Any help would be appreciated.

This is not a silly question. . . Genealogy can be confusing.

First, Start with what you know. Write down your personal information, your parents, your siblings. Create a family Group Sheet. Just doing this much will help you learn a lot.

Every Ward building should have a computer set aside for Genealogy and a each ward should have someone called to be Genealogy Teacher. Ask your Bishop or ward members who that is. If your ward building doesn't have the resources then check with the Stake.

Another way is online. . . go to Family Search. The website is default.htm The information is there for you and the search engine is easy to use. There are also help articles.

If you have further questions please don't hesitate to post again or leave me a note on my profile.

applepansy

Starting with what I know seems reasonable enough...and doable. But what are some recommendations when it comes to keeping track of what you find? Are there templates online? Any resources that might help with recording and organization?

I use the Personal Ancestral File program. Its a free download from the Family Search website. Everything you need to get started is at the Family Search website. There are people available by phone at the LDS Family History Library too. Where are you?

applepansy

I use the Personal Ancestral File program. Its a free download from the Family Search website. Everything you need to get started is at the Family Search website. There are people available by phone at the LDS Family History Library too. Where are you?

applepansy

All the way up in Michigan.

But thank you for the website. I'll be sure to check into it. I also plan on talking with our genealogy person soon.