Does anyone have a Kindle?

Puppenstein

I don't have a kindle, and have no desire to get one. But my brother has been thinking about picking one up. So I decided to do some research into them. A lot of people seem to like them, they think they are handy, compact and useful since they have a connection to wikipedia as well as an online bookstore for quick downloads.

Some of the common problems are 1. lack of titles available, 2. too sensitive controls, easy to accidentally "turn the page" 3. too long of a wait for pages to load, 4. too expensive ($350.00) 5. buttons are too close together and it is easy to hit the wrong one. 6. it's design makes it difficult to hold without pressing buttons.

So, if I was into technology and was considering one, I'd probably hold off until they either come down significantly in price, or come up with an updated version.

I have a Palm Z22. It holds all my scriptures and any other reading material I would want. I am not sure how much a Kindle is but mine was only 100 bucks and I also get the other stuff that comes with it, like a calendar, contacts list, and many other things I can add on. I have LDS Library so I can put on any number of LDS books, and you can find tons of free books online too.

I have a Kindle. I love mine. The thing I like most is that I have my scriptures (which you can get free), my Aaronic Priesthood Manual and supplement, Hymns, etc. on my Kindle. I can mark passages, make notes to all of the above. I don't miss my regular scriptures at all.

Some of the disadvantages mentioned by gunslinger are true. It is very expensive. The buttons take some getting used to (though once you get used to them it is no longer a problem). However, I don't find a problem in finding title. The system is not too slow. I love having internet access most places I go and can download books about anywhere, as fast as can be. I travel for work a lot, so this is a big advantage.

The real selling point for me is that it has a lot of settings for adjusting font size. I have a condition called Stargardt's Disease (a form of juvenile macular degeneration. Print in a lot of paperbacks have gotten so small, I could no longer read them. The screen is very, very readable. It is not back lit and is set up to avoid eye strain. Just like any great paper book, if the story is good, the Kindle disappears and becomes incidental.

The Kindle is not for everyone. The advise I give about getting the Kindle is that you have to be an avid book reader or need the functionality to justify the cost. If you are a casual reader, stick to paper.

I love my Kindle! You can make the font bigger, you can use the Internet in a limited form-free, You can find dozens of sites where you can freely download free- public domain books-including the KJV of the Bible to Crime and Punishment by Dostyvesky--all free.

You can pay and download books from Amazon -at a cheaper price than print-and you are saving paper in the process.

Can improvements be made-sure-but if you are an avid reader-love books-Kindle is great!

-Carol

I so want a Kindle. . . sigh Maybe some day! Its on my maybe-some-day-wish-list :)

I love the feature that lets you save the books you've purchased for Kindle at amazon. I've run out of bookshelves in my house. And I'm sure my hubby is tired of moving the heavy boxes of books I don't have shelf room for. :D

applepansy

I don't anticipate getting a Kindle any time soon. For one thing, if I find a paper book that I really enjoy, I can lend it to others when I'm done. With e-books, you have to pay to download it on each separate machine.

Or perhaps I'm just whining to cover up my secret desire to destroy the forests through publishing. But I'm pretty sure the Kindle really would be an inconvenience for me.

I've run out of bookshelves in my house. And I'm sure my hubby is tired of moving the heavy boxes of books I don't have shelf room for. :D

LOL Same here! I have 4 bookshelves that get filled up before I buy them. I'm running out of room, but I'm addicted to books!

I should look into getting a Kindle, it would probably be worth it for me. I just don't like that some books aren't available for it.

LOL Same here! I have 4 bookshelves that get filled up before I buy them. I'm running out of room, but I'm addicted to books!

SO, whats wrong with the public library?

Don't get me wrong, I have more than 4 bookcases of books, and thats after weeding many out (I sold 250 hardcovers at a used book store a couple years back). I pretty much stopped buying books since I now have 2 public libraries within 5 miles of my home. For all you book-a-holics like me -- rather than buy books, try checking them out, then if you really really love the book you can buy a copy. You'll have much more money and lots less to move and you'll still have read all the books you want to.

• 1 month later...

I have a Kindle. I love mine. The thing I like most is that I have my scriptures (which you can get free), my Aaronic Priesthood Manual and supplement, Hymns, etc. on my Kindle. I can mark passages, make notes to all of the above. I don't miss my regular scriptures at all.

Some of the disadvantages mentioned by gunslinger are true. It is very expensive. The buttons take some getting used to (though once you get used to them it is no longer a problem). However, I don't find a problem in finding title. The system is not too slow. I love having internet access most places I go and can download books about anywhere, as fast as can be. I travel for work a lot, so this is a big advantage.

The real selling point for me is that it has a lot of settings for adjusting font size. I have a condition called Stargardt's Disease (a form of juvenile macular degeneration. Print in a lot of paperbacks have gotten so small, I could no longer read them. The screen is very, very readable. It is not back lit and is set up to avoid eye strain. Just like any great paper book, if the story is good, the Kindle disappears and becomes incidental.

The Kindle is not for everyone. The advise I give about getting the Kindle is that you have to be an avid book reader or need the functionality to justify the cost. If you are a casual reader, stick to paper.

What is your source for the scriptures, etc? I've been to several sites, but not sure which is the best for downloading "official" church materials onto my Kindle. Thanks!

What is your source for the scriptures, etc? I've been to several sites, but not sure which is the best for downloading "official" church materials onto my Kindle. Thanks!

Yes I also got a Kindle for Christmas! I love it! It is so wonderful and there is so much it can do. Where did you get your scriptures and priesthood manual, hymns, etc.... I would love more input on how to acquire more LDS reading. I love to read inspiring LDS books too.

• 1 month later...

Danna and Khuxley, if you go to LDS.ORG, Gospel Library, Media Formats, then scroll down to Files for Handheld Devices, then click on Mobipocket under the Palm column, you can get the teacher's guides and much other material. They haven't yet issued the Scriptures in the new format; there is an archive of Palm material, but I don't think it's Kindle compatible. edit - I tried to paste the URL from the church website, and it didn't appear - this one may work:

Archive

Edited by lincolnhyde
URL did not appear

• 1 month later...

The titles are limited but seem to be getting better all the time. I have found several classic LDS books for $1.00. The more notice the Kindle gets by the LDS community the more LDS publishers will publish in this format. Also there are loads of classic literature for free at amazon.

says the librarian: books are our friends.

plead the books: please don't forget us. we love you. we long for you to hold us and caress our pages. we look forward to the minty freshness of your breath. we love the warmth of your laughter and the raw emotion of your tears. we love the way you smile at us from across the room as we sit between the comfort of our brothers and sisters on the bookshelf. we don't even mind the occasional chocolatey finger of your child touching our pages as they squeel in delight at the colorful pictures.

silly amazon, books are for libraries. :P

Edited by bodhigirlsmiles