What are the Doctrines of the LDS Church?

abqfriend

Thank You for your answer-it provided the clearest answer to my question-Thank You.

-I appreciate everyone elses responses too-quite a group of opinions expressed.

Everyone-Thank You.

-Carol

Carol,

Based on my observations over the years, you're never going to get a consensus on what is or isn't Mormon doctrine.

The answer depends on who you ask, and you'll get a number of different responses.

The most careful answer is that it is only what is contained in the Mormon canon, i.e. the Bible, the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price. Anything other than those should not be considered doctrine.

On the other hand, many members believe even articles in the Ensign are doctrine, or else the Church would not have published them. Yet others insist they are not.

Additionally, many members believe talks given at General Conference are doctrine. Others insist they are not.

I have never read, or heard, of any firm answer to your question. The answer I see most often is only the Mormon canon is doctrine.

But, as you've seen, the Church's officials have not defined what is doctrine or not, so it's impossible to know for sure.

In fact, if they did so, there would be questions as to whether that was doctrine or not. :P

Elphaba

Carol, try this:

LDS.org - Gospel Topics

It is described as:

This section provides information about the doctrine, policies, practices, and history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (commonly called "the Mormon church" or "Mormons"). In addition to helping Church members, this section can also be a great resource for answers to questions about Mormon beliefs. Click on a letter to view a list of topics starting with that letter.

M.