New Official LDS church site

Shera

Great multi-media site-but lacks search and nowhere could I find the doctrines of the church clearly defined.

See my seperate thread on this subject.

-Carol- a Catholic

On Sunday our bishopric read a statement from the First Presidency of the Chruch telling us that they have put out a new Official church site. Mormon.org - Home It is awesome and questions are answered right from the source. Don't leave us alone here, but I think it is a really good place to visit and ask questions. :)

I've been familiar with Mormon.org for a couple of years, I'm pretty sure. It had a different layout previously.

Update: After doing a quick search on LDS.org, I found the following information (I added the emphasis):

Using Mormon.org to Share the Gospel

By Walter Cooley, Church Magazines

Walter Cooley, “Using Mormon.org to Share the Gospel,” Ensign, Feb. 2006, 77–79

Using Church materials online provides another way for members to help friends and acquaintances learn about the Church and at the same time build members’ confidence in their ability to share gospel principles with others.

The Church’s Web sites can be grouped by purpose into three categories. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Provident Living Home, which are available in various languages, help teach, strengthen, and perfect members. FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records, available in English, allows visitors to search for their kindred dead. Mormon.org, available in 23 languages, seeks to proclaim the gospel to the world. The principal Web site for members to use when sharing the gospel online is Mormon.org - Home.

Mormon.org assists members sharing the gospel with friends who have various levels of understanding about the Church. Members can use this site to introduce friends to the gospel, help them better understand Church doctrine and lifestyle, and invite them to attend Church meetings.

Since its launch in October 2001, more than 8.3 million visitors have visited the Web site. These visitors have requested more than 200,000 media items, such as DVDs or copies of the Book of Mormon. More than 40,000 site visitors wanted to learn more and were referred to missionaries.

The ret of this article can be found here: LDS.org - Ensign Article - News of the Church

The point of this isn't to belittle or correct the OP, but rather that I wonder why the Bishop is reading the letter now. Or perhaps the First Presidency has sent out a new letter, as the website has been changed (formatting) since then. It has been in its current format for several months, though.

:confused:

Edited by Wingnut
give updated and accurate info

Guest DeborahC

Thirteen statements, written by the Prophet Joseph Smith, outlining some of the basic teachings and ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The basic beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are summed up in 13 simple statements penned by Joseph Smith as a response to frequent queries on the teachings and doctrines of the Church. These statements are now known as the Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

They are:

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon this the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things

If you find stray question marks, I apologize. I tried to clean them up. It was in the transference of the font.

I hope this helps.

Thank You. I am aware of the basic teachings/doctrines of the LDS-and as you say "summed up" in the 13 statements.

What I am looking for is something like my church-Catholic-and many other church groups have-a definitive listing or authorized authoritative work saying what the actual doctrines of the church are.

We have the Catechism of the Catholic Church as source reference guide to our doctrines- I can find nothing similar in the LDS Church with a search capability to clearly see what those doctrines are--so there is much--- grey area.

Different people on here and other LDS sites seem to disagree on what the doctrines of their church are---so I was looking for a definitive guide-so far nothing is available.

-Carol

Thirteen statements, written by the Prophet Joseph Smith, outlining some of the basic teachings and ordinances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The basic beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are summed up in 13 simple statements penned by Joseph Smith as a response to frequent queries on the teachings and doctrines of the Church. These statements are now known as the Articles of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I hope this helps.

Guest DeborahC

I believe you will find it by reading the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, and the Bible. Those are about the size of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and should take less time to read. Personally, I would find reading the entire Catechism cumbersome and would prefer a summary. But that's just me, I guess :)

You say you own a "Triple" -- that's where the doctrine is contained.

You might try reading it?

Many of your question might be answered that way?

Also, praying that Heavenly Father will show you the truth is always a help.

I do have a "Triple" and I do read it. I took the time to purchase one-in leather yet-as I know it is your sacred texts-and I deeply respect what it contains.

-so-nothing outside of the 4 sources you list-is considered doctrine?

This includes things said by church prophets not included in those sacred texts?

So-nothing at Church Assemblies said by the prophets would be doctrine?

-I am not LDS-but I think you are mistaken--or am I?

The catechism of the Catholic Church is totally searchable-and on-line-so you can find what you are looking for easily.

Here is the searchable link:

English Translation of the Catechism of the Catholic Church with Search Utility

-Carol

I believe you will find it by reading the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, The Pearl of Great Price, and the Bible. Those are about the size of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and should take less time to read. Personally, I would find reading the entire Catechism cumbersome and would prefer a summary. But that's just me, I guess :)

You say you own a "Triple" -- that's where the doctrine is contained.

You might try reading it?

Many of your question might be answered that way?

Also, praying that Heavenly Father will show you the truth is always a help.

Guest DeborahC

I suggest again that you speak with your bishop or missionaries.

My personal understanding is that this is a living Church, and that the present day Prophet or Authorities may tell us things which then, might or might not be considered doctrine. So the way to know the doctrine is to read the texts, attend the conferences, and listen to what the Authorities teach.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. :confused:

Is there a particular doctrine you're interested in?

If you think I'm mistaken, perhaps you should speak with the missionaries?

Hi, lurker here.

It seems as though you desire a definitive, one-work contains all summary of canonical doctrine (I assume, in a form that may be similar to the Catechism). The closest documents I know of are the True to the Faith gospel reference book, and the Sunday School manual Gospel Principles, both of which missionaries (including me) have used to explain even more complicated doctrines to inquiring potential members and new members, in a simple, concise manner.

It may not be a full-scale doctrinal treatise on the level of, say, Talmage's Jesus the Christ, but it goes a long way towards summarizing our doctrines in one location.

Yes, I think I remember that in the letter that it had been redone or revised or something, so they were re-encouraging useage. And You know, I was still basically a little girl, well almost, when it was first up and running so I didn't even know it was there.

Edited by Shera
added text

Thank you-the links were helpful.

Yes-It would also be helpful if the LDS had such a one work listing and explanation of all canonical doctrine-that would be helpful.

-Carol

-Carol

Hi, lurker here.

It seems as though you desire a definitive, one-work contains all summary of canonical doctrine (I assume, in a form that may be similar to the Catechism). The closest documents I know of are the True to the Faith gospel reference book, and the Sunday School manual Gospel Principles, both of which missionaries (including me) have used to explain even more complicated doctrines to inquiring potential members and new members, in a simple, concise manner.

It may not be a full-scale doctrinal treatise on the level of, say, Talmage's Jesus the Christ, but it goes a long way towards summarizing our doctrines in one location.

Carol,

The difficulty in defining every doctrinal reference in the Church is that all the words of the Prophets and Apostles, when they are speaking in those roles, are binding as the will of the Lord. Thus, every General Conference, more is added. The scriptures of the Church are the Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. More may be added from time to time as new revelations are brought forth.

Thus, the catechism of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be incomplete within months after it is published. Additionally, there are ordinances which are not given to the world, but which are found in the Temple. These could not be included, but they are a part of the doctrine of the Church.

If you want to search the teachings of Church leaders, my suggestion is http://lds.org/search

Somebody help me out...but I'm guessing that what is being sought after (authoritative explanation of church doctrine) could be found in the Gospel Principles books? If so, are they not available online at lds.org, in the library section?

Yuppers.. here is what every new member is introduced to:

LDS.org - Sunday School Table of Contents - Gospel Principles

Hope this helps!