Coffee in Baking?

winter

Hey all-

I wanted to check this out before purchasing anything that would be unhealthy for myself and for others I bake for:

I have heard that a small amount of espresso powder can add depth to chocolate baked goods, however, I wasn't sure if that would be something that is against the church. I know drinking brewed coffee is, but I didn't know if it was the actual coffee bean that was bad to consume or just the brewing of the bean, since that makes it a "hot drink". I was also wondering about coffee flavoring (the kind that comes in a bottle).

I have shied away from purchasing these products in the past, but would like to know what you all think. If you have facts, too, that would be great. I have had a hard time finding out much about caffeine levels and tannic (sp?) acid in coffee beans and the liquid flavoring- or if there is a chemical change that happens when coffee is brewed compared to when pre-brewed.

Thanks!

Guest Godless

I haven't ever used coffee in baking, mostly because I don't like the flavor. I do use wine and occasionally even beer in cooking.

Cooking with beer = win.

I have no clue what the chemical makeup of coffee flavoring or cooked beans are. I doubt that the bottled stuff would have the tannic acid in it though. It may still have the caffeine, but from what I understand, that's not the reason why your church forbids it. I guess your best bet would be to read the ingredients on the label and see if there is any natural coffee extract in it or if it's all just flavoring.

First of all, the tannins in tea and coffee are the same thing as found on grape skins, so there's another reason why LDS are told not to consume those things. I myself use coffee in chocolate on a regular basis, as I love the flavor. Then again, I'm not LDS so I never made the commitment to give up coffee, tea, or alcohol. I never smoked, but that's because I realized on my own that tobacco is dangerous.

With coffee, you have to brew it in some form even for cooking because the beans are still grainy after grinding. It might be best to leave coffee out of cooking if it concerns you.

This is to Godless and ADoyle-

Thanks for replying-

ADoyle:

I don't understand this part: "First of all, the tannins in tea and coffee are the same thing as found on grape skins, so there's another reason why LDS are told not to consume those things."

The last part of that sentence doesn't seem clear to me- LDS aren't supposed to consume grapes? Or they aren't supposed to consume tea and coffee because of the tannins found on grape skins? Neither sounds correct and I don't think you meant either of them, but it's all I can get out of it. Could you clarify?

And normally, yes, you would have to brew the coffee to put it in, but there is actually a powdered form of espresso that you can put right in as is, no brewing required. =)

Godless:

I am not concerned about beer or wine, both of which I also use in cooking often- wine nearly 3x/week. I also am of the mindset that the church doesn't forbid coffee and tea because of caffeine necessarily, but I personally believe it is not good for you and choose not to drink anything with caffeine in it. (I know chocolate has some). I do believe it has more to do with the tannic acids (the church stance on coffee and tea) and maybe even the heat of the beverage.

I have tried reading the labels, but information about tannic acid is never listed =).

This is to Godless and ADoyle-

Thanks for replying-

ADoyle:

I don't understand this part: "First of all, the tannins in tea and coffee are the same thing as found on grape skins, so there's another reason why LDS are told not to consume those things."

The last part of that sentence doesn't seem clear to me- LDS aren't supposed to consume grapes? Or they aren't supposed to consume tea and coffee because of the tannins found on grape skins? Neither sounds correct and I don't think you meant either of them, but it's all I can get out of it. Could you clarify?

And normally, yes, you would have to brew the coffee to put it in, but there is actually a powdered form of espresso that you can put right in as is, no brewing required. =)

Godless:

I am not concerned about beer or wine, both of which I also use in cooking often- wine nearly 3x/week. I also am of the mindset that the church doesn't forbid coffee and tea because of caffeine necessarily, but I personally believe it is not good for you and choose not to drink anything with caffeine in it. (I know chocolate has some). I do believe it has more to do with the tannic acids (the church stance on coffee and tea) and maybe even the heat of the beverage.

I have tried reading the labels, but information about tannic acid is never listed =).

Do you drink caffeinated soft-drinks (pop for those out East)? If you do you shouldn't worry about a little coffee flavoring in your baking.

Wait! I have to stand up in defense of the East (which is where I am from!) It's soda back East, at least anywhere I have been along that coast- not pop! Pop is out here in Utah (where I live now!) and everywhere else out West that I have been. =) Everyone I know out East makes fun of Westerners for saying "pop". It's kinda a big deal (in a fun way). There's a lot of playful banter about what the correct term is.

Ok, back to our regular conversation. No, like I said earlier, I don't drink caffeine- period. I don't even drink soda, for that matter. Juice, herbal tea on occasion, milk and water.

Wait! I have to stand up in defense of the East (which is where I am from!) It's soda back East, at least anywhere I have been along that coast- not pop! Pop is out here in Utah (where I live now!) and everywhere else out West that I have been. =) Everyone I know out East makes fun of Westerners for saying "pop". It's kinda a big deal (in a fun way). There's a lot of playful banter about what the correct term is.

Ok, back to our regular conversation. No, like I said earlier, I don't drink caffeine- period. I don't even drink soda, for that matter. Juice, herbal tea on occasion, milk and water.

Oops:rolleyes: I had it backwards. It's probably because I'm from the West and I say

"soft drinks"

Guest Godless

Lol, I'm right there with you on that one!

I don't know the official rule, but for me personally, if it contains the coffee bean or portions of it, I don't knowingly use it. It's probably fine, but that's my personal preference. I'm really not informed enough about all these newfangled espressos and hot drinks to be an authority to tell what exactly is what, so on this one I err on the side of caution.

It's probably good to err on the side of caution *sigh*. I have avoided it to this point, but I've been dying to know for a few years now, so I was hoping someone here might have some knowledge about it. It's the whole reason I even signed up here on LDS.net (today!).

Godless- which point were you with me on? =)

No, I don't use coffee in baking or eat foods that have coffee in them. The reason we don't drink coffee isn't because of caffeine or tannins... nothing specific has been given. We don't drink coffee because it's coffee. There is no clarification given why, so I avoid it in anything I consume. The same for tea.

As far as cooking with wine and beer, I have done this, after all, it all cooks out right? Alcohol evaporates at I think 172 F so I should be good, right? Well, after googling it I found a few articles that state it does NOT cook out. This one here Dispelling the Greatest Culinary Urban Myth by Victoria Wesseler for CDKitchen.com actually sites it's source. So, out of principle, I will no longer be cooking with alcohol. Of course it's only a tiny little bit of coffee/alcohol that is spread out over a entire dish, but like I said, it's principle, not quantity.

If any General Authorities give the go-ahead for cooking with wine, I'll be all ears and open mouth... but we'll see.

I've had bishops whose favorite kind of ice cream was coffee flavored. I think it's a personal decision. The Word of Wisdom doesn't say "Thou shalt not drinks hot beverages, or eat anything that contains the beans from which they are made." If you feel okay with it, that's fine. If you're questioning it or not sure, perhaps that in and of itself is your answer.

Alana- that is why I personally think those things are not good for us and against the word of wisdom. Not necessarily because of the caffeine, but more because of the tannins- that acid can mess up your insides. Uggh. But yes, there is no specifics given. That's why I said it was my opinion, just so I didn't give anyone the right to say that I said it was doctrine. =)

I personally wouldn't feel bad about using the flavorings if I knew the tannins and caffeine were not in them. That is why I was wondering if it was the brewing of the bean that brought out these things or if it would be found in the bean itself in powdered form. I just don't know the chemical reaction. I know leaves, when added to water, produce a tea which has tannins in it. Does coffee have this? If so, is it just when the bean is added to hot water? I guess it's kinda a science question- and I was hoping someone on here was sorta a scientist. ;)

As far as cooking with wine and beer, I have done this, after all, it all cooks out right? Alcohol evaporates at I think 172 F so I should be good, right? Well, after googling it I found a few articles that state it does NOT cook out. This one here Dispelling the Greatest Culinary Urban Myth by Victoria Wesseler for CDKitchen.com actually sites it's source. So, out of principle, I will no longer be cooking with alcohol. Of course it's only a tiny little bit of coffee/alcohol that is spread out over a entire dish, but like I said, it's principle, not quantity.

Interesting. I didn't know about that.

Charley- why won't you use wine in your cooking? Not that you have to, of course! ;) Just curious.

its entirely a personal thing in that I try to keep the spirit of the law as much as possible, I do not know why the Lord has specifically asked us to refrain from tea, coffee, alcohol, I just know he has. I will eat a meal with alcohol someone else has cooked, as it would be rude to refuse, but I won't use it myself in cooking. I think for me even more so with tea and coffee because we really don't know why we shouldn't be using it. I also think personally tea and coffee are our best missionary tools not drinking them has opened so many doors for me with talking to people, and for me its staying away from the appearence of evil

Funny though I have LDS people that do use wine in cooking think I am awful for buying Vodka to clean my floors lol so guess we are all different (its basically cheap and smells better with lemon juice than vinegar).

-Charley

Hidden

Then general authorities have said in conference talks that we are not to cook with wine or other alcohols. I follow the Word of Wisdom.... if I'm not suppose to drink it then its not going in my food either.

applepansy

Please understand that I'm not being snippy or anything. I haven't ever heard of these statements. Do you have any idea when they were made, or by whom?

Then general authorities have said in conference talks that we are not to cook with wine or other alcohols. I follow the Word of Wisdom.... if I'm not suppose to drink it then its not going in my food either.

applepansy

Please understand I'm not being snippy. I actually haven't ever heard this and am wondering if you can indicate when such statements have been made or by whom.

Do you drink caffeinated soft-drinks (pop for those out East)? If you do you shouldn't worry about a little coffee flavoring in your baking.

That's a pretty definitive statement on the link between caffeine and coffee/tea. Perhaps you should read a thread like this one, or any of the other myriad threads on the topic.

Please understand I'm not being snippy. I actually haven't ever heard this and am wondering if you can indicate when such statements have been made or by whom.

yes, but not today. I don't have time.

If you want. . .go to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. then click on the A-Z index. then go to the Searchable Ensign files. You'll find them.

I'll do it Monday.

applepansy