Book release: The Joseph Smith Papers, Journals, Vol. 1: 1832-1839

Hemidakota

Scripture Reference › The Joseph Smith Papers, Journals, Vol. 1: 1832-1839 ]

Posted Image

The Joseph Smith Papers, Journals, Vol. 1: 1832-1839

by Ronald K Esplin and Dean C. Jessee and Richard L. Bushman and

Hardcover - sku 4389351

Review:

Joseph Smith is known to history as the founder and first prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The publication of his papers, 200 years after his birth, will open a window on a life filled with what he called "marvelous experience."

For one who had little schooling, Joseph Smith left an extensive legacy of letters and other written records. Now, the full collection of that documentary heritage is being made widely available.

The Joseph Smith Papers is not a "documentary history" project composed only of important documents relating to Joseph Smith. Instead, it is a comprehensive "papers" project that will publish, according to accepted scholarly and documentary editing standards, all documents created by Joseph Smith and by those whose work he directed.

The Joseph Smith Papers Project will eventually constitute approximately 30 volumes, organized into six series. This first volume is a part of the Journals Series.

Volume by volume, you can build and enhance your personal library with these crucial studies of the life, leadership, and legacy of Joseph Smith.

In the works for several decades, The Joseph Smith Papers will be the largest, most authoritative collection of original Smith documents in the world, replacing and transcending many earlier published works.

With access to texts not previously available, and certainly never in one collection, the Papers project provides new information and insights about Joseph Smith, early Mormonism, and nineteenth-century American religion.

Documents include correspondence, journal entries, revelations, translations, discourses, official histories, court cases, and business dealings—qualitatively researched and carefully annotated.

Although vast in scope, the aim of the Project is relatively simple: to make available to general readers and scholars the sources essential to the study of Joseph Smith—the religious leader, the city builder, the pioneer, the husband and father—a truly visionary man.

The ambitious Joseph Smith Papers is the inaugural publishing project of The Church Historian's Press and sets new standards for the organization and editorial presentation of historical documents by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In recognition of the high scholarly standards being employed in all phases of this project, The Joseph Smith Papers Project has earned an endorsement by the National Archives' National Historical Publication and Records Commission (NHPRC).

JosephSmithPapers.org.

Book Purchase: DeseretBook.com - The Joseph Smith Papers, Journals, Vol. 1: 1832-1839

Edited by Hemidakota

Yep I got it today in the mail. I pre-ordered it when you first told me that it was for pre-order. They said the book was going to be out by Dec 1 so it was nice to get it early. The quality of the book is great! Its way nice! I plan to go through it a little more tonight. I think was surprised me is that its still a 505 page book! Bigger then I thought but I guess in the end worth the $46 Deseret Book is saleing it for.

Thanks! Can't wait for Vol 2!

I was in Nauvoo over the weekend

How is that new Joseph Smith acadamy coming along? I know they tore it all down (it was pretty old) and was going to build a whole new one. I hadn't heard if the new one was finished or how it looks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up my copy. I had to wait almost a month for the stock of second printing's to come in... I'm way excited to have it, it'll be a great collection to have. I'm just sad there's not an index :(

But there is a LOT of great stuff in there beyond just the writings of Joseph Smith.

I have enjoyed reading this book....I am almost done and want my next one........LOL!!!!

• 2 years later...

I plan to buy all the series when they come out, I hope that as the series gets more books out that there will be books primarily based on the series that state what the most significant documents are, both for Church history, and for Joseph Smith, as well as other prominent Church leaders at the time. One thing I’m hoping for, is when the series has published it’s final book, that one of the major editors of the series will write a book about the series, his/her reflections on the series, what was learned about Joseph Smith, what questions still need to be answered, and just general information like that.