Can nonmembers purchase from the cannery?

angela

I've been actively involved in the food storage industry since 1994. In 1998-1999, during the frantic Y2K storable food buying, I got reports of many local canneries closing their doors to any non-members.

Since April 2008, panic buying has started again (I guess because of fears of the direction our country is headed), but I haven't heard of any canneries closing their doors to non-members ... at least not yet.

I am going to try to call the cannery closest to them. They don't want to work a canning shift, they just want to purchase some of the prepackaged cases. I asked if they knew any one that was LDS, but they said no. I laughed because I thought I could have two lovely elders show up at their door in no time. ^_^

I called ahead and my drypack cannery allowed my non-member daughter in law to go and can food.

Did she go by herself or was a member with her?

I was going to try to find a member in her area if they won't allow her to purchase by herself. Anyone close to the Concord, Ca cannery? I think it would be a good missionary tool. :)

Up here in little Nova Scotia Canada we have no cannery. I do not even know if there is one in Ontario about 16 hour drive away. Our Stake boundries would take around 12 hours at 60mph or 100km to drive around it. Somewhere in our Stake we supposedly have 1 dry pack canner, I can not confirm this as I have never seen it in 13 years as a member in two wards.

We have no choice but to can our own stuff, which my wife and I started doing when we moved into the Valley where we now live. We all pitch in and grow our garden then can much of it. It is hard for me to imagine being able to walk into a cannery, work a few shifts and walk out with some food storage.

We once had Sisters in our other Ward organize a bulk buying group where they posted bulk sales, took orders, picked up from discount bulk wholesalers and distributed to those who requested it. They did it as a service to members and paid their own gas. After a year they quit doing it.

First members complained about the size of purchase needed so these kind Sisters divided the bulk purchase into smaller bags. Then members complained about how the smaller sizes were packaged, and couldn't it be delivered to their homes instead of having to come to church to get it!

It would be nice to have had a cannery in the area, maybe those ungreatful members would have learned something.

There's gotta be somethin' similar in Canada though, right?

Well for Canadian based sites there is;

Security Bins - Home

They only sell MH pouches not #10 cans. Their MRE was almost double the US price even when the currencies were at par a few short months ago

Then there is;

Military Rations and Freeze Dried Food - Discount Prices at Forest City Surplus Canada

They only have pouches too. I placed an order with them in May. The order included some MRE for a video demo for my blog and I am still waiting for delivery.

There is also;

Harvest Foodworks makes freeze-dried and dehydrated meals specially formulated for outdoors enthusiasts

But the info on their food is poor, says " freeze dried and dehydrated" foods but it is not clear which is which for the products and no shelf life. Also the instructions for some suggest putting contents into boiled water for a period of time. They say they don't sell direct in Canada but have a 3rd party ordering site.

So if someone from Canada knows a source that would be great.

• 6 months later...

When we were Church Service missionaries at the local cannery the official Church policy is that the cannery is for members of the Church and non-members who are being actively fellowshipped toward baptism may come use the cannery with the members who are fellowshipping them.

The reasoning is complicated, but includes Church compliance with anti-unfair competition laws since the Church is tax-exempt and commercial businesses are not.

However, like so many other official policies, and even commandments, it is enforced to a wide variety of degrees in different canneries.

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

I am non-lds and have been trying to build up my food storage. I've bought what I could from the main church website, but need a few things that are not available from the online store . I stopped at the local church and was refered to the local cannery (about 40 miles south of me). I don't mind volunteering and have dehydrated, canned for years. I'd love to learn how "tin" cans are sealed. I don't know any members around here (or at least don't think I do). Haven't heard back from cannery. Most churches seem locked up when I come around. Any advice?

Edited by at2wooden

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got a callback from the local cannery.

The elder explained how cannery food stores were normally only available to church members, but he was sympathetic when I explained that I was a open and like minded christian with a family, and had spoken with the local bishop in my area.

I can't say enough about how nice the couple running the cannery was, and how I was treated. I got a tour of the facility, (It was so clean you could literally eat off the floor) and I got to operate the canning machine. (It was soooo cool) By the end of the night I was a pickup trucks worth of food closer to my goal of a years supply.

The prayer of thanks they said before I left was warm and heartfelt.

I felt.......worthy.

Edited by at2wooden