Strengthening the Quorums

One of the biggest challenges for the Church is making sure that our priesthood quorums are strong. What do you think you can do to help make your quorum stronger.

Each quorum is unique so Im sure there are some more unique situations and some more generalized. I dont think we fully utilize the quorums the way we could.

So let's get a discussion going.

The best thing that Ive seen is get a sports group together, play different sports every week so its not a competition. Switch up the days too, some people work nights so they cant participate, others are busy saturday mornings. Saturday mornings are good because if everyone is there and someone needs help with something (moving) youve already got help. The hour or two after young mens is good too, the kids get an extra hour or two to hang out and see thier dads have fun. Some people dont like sports but they all love food, food gets expensive for large gatherings but its worth it.

One of the biggest challenges for the Church is making sure that our priesthood quorums are strong. What do you think you can do to help make your quorum stronger.

Each quorum is unique so Im sure there are some more unique situations and some more generalized. I dont think we fully utilize the quorums the way we could.

So let's get a discussion going.

What ward priesthood quorum? I have been in one for about three years now. :D

Though, a good question!

• 11 months later...
Guest mormonmusic

I'm a former High Priest Group Leader, and EQ Counselor. I was a HPGL twice for a total of about 4 years.

What makes a strong quorum? I'll answer from the perspective of a priesthood leader.

1. Strong leaders. I always asked the Bishop for the best people as I felt in prayer who will follow through on assignments as assistants, and who were teachable. I often received them, and they were worth their weight in gold.

2. Pray to love the brethren, sincerely. They will often do things that are annoying or even disrespectful to you as a leader, but strive to love them anyway. Prayer helps.

3. Don't push people who don't want to contribute. If you feel moved to prod someone, counsel with your assistants/counselors on the best way to do it, and go in prayerfully. If you do this, the Spirit will be present and the person won't be offended, even if they still choose to be non-cooperative.

4. Hold PPI's with the strong brethren. Use them to get to know them better, discuss their families and take a personal interest in their lives. The strong brethren are your arms and legs when it comes to delegation, and they are often over-worked in the Ward as it is. Express appreciation often, and take a sincere interest in them personally. The relationship you build with them will strengthen the quorum dramatically. Most need and appreciate the PPI's, they've probably had so few of them in their lifetimes.

5. I take the first Sunday of each month to lead the quorum in a topic that matters. Give leadership, and use the Spirit when you give it.

6. Delegate the work of the quorum to the brethren, and then support the heck out of them by getting dates for socials, budget money, and clear broad guidelines about what the social should accomplish, without micro-managing. Give them time in priesthood meeting to lead the quorum in getting ideas about the content of the social.

7. Plan service projects, again, consultatively with the quorum. I like to put someone in charge of the service project, and give them time in the quorum to decide what the project will be. Support this person by offering to put announcements in teh bulletin, on your ward's website etcetera.

8. Don't harp on home teaching in general meetings. I never did. They are tired of hearing it. Keep it well organized and get their opinions on who they would like to see. Be deeply appreciative of them when they do it. Discuss HT one on one in PPI's from the perspective of "How are your families doing", not "Did you do your home teaching, or "Why don't you do your home teaching".

9. Visit them in their homes.

10. Try to have a strong representation of good teachers in Priesthood meeting, and counsel them to prepare early. I know teaching is a growth opportunity for many, but it will wear out the quorum if every week is a beginner trying to teach.

11. Be ready and willing to trust the people who come out of inactivity, or under-activity. Rally around them and accept them with open arms.

This may sound strange, but I got more results by strengthening my relationship with active brethren than by another other initiatives, other than planning as a group, quarterly. They are the salt of the quorum, and their energy and commitment will show the quorum you're a supported leader, through their example -- things will get done without you wearing yourself out -- provided you don't have so much going on other aspects of your lives, like I did for the last two years.

One indicator your quorum is strong -- gospel initiatives get completed without your involvement, other than from a visionary standpoint. During a strong period, there was a social, a service project, a move, and an activation which happened that I didn't have any involvement in -- and in our quarterly review meeting, members at large reported on things they did to bless other's lives, consistent with our quarterly plan, that I didn't even have a hand in.

I think that is evidence the quorum has been appropriatly 'visioned", given direction and planning, and is working for the common good. It was the best feeling in the world.....

Edited by mormonmusic

Guest mormonmusic

If they were of HP fellowshipping age, but didn't hold the HP office, I treated them just like any other member of the HP quorum. Called on them for things, got their input, assigned them hometeaching within the quorum, etcetera. The only thing I couldn't do was call them into the HPGL leadership without getting them called as High Priests first. That issue never came up though.

Our Bishop was flexible - as long as they felt right about fellowshipping with the HP quorum, they were accepted as a member of the quorum.

Our EQ was big enough to have their own meetings, so there was never a need to combine them, either.