What is your basis of belief?

interalia

"Why do you believe what you believe?" is a question I like to ask those who profess faith or belief in anything. This is not just a question I pose to those of religious faith, but to those who believe pretty much anything. After all, how do we really know anything?

While this question of whether or not we really "know" something could have volumes written about it alone, I tend to direct my question more specifically to how an individual (specifically the individual to whom I am asking the question) knows what they know or believes what they believe. I'm not looking for the "right" or "perfect" answer, merely if there is an answer at all. I'm often surprised how many never really think this through because I consider it to be an essential element to my believing anything.

So why is this important to me? It is everything to me. I feel to properly confess belief in anything I must understand why I believe it. For instance, if you were to ask me why I believe the earth is round, I wouldn't tell you it was from personal experience - rather it is that I believe my textbooks and those professors of knowledge who have told me so. I believe the images I have seen of the earth from space and that they are not forgeries nor misconstrued.

If you asked me if I could prove the earth was round, I would not be able to do so - merely refer you to a perceived authority on the subject and let you make the decision of whether or not you believed them yourself. So you might say that I don't really "know" the earth is round and in a sense, you are absolutely correct. I don't "know" it at all. So would you say that I believe it blindly? No, that would not be correct, because my belief is based in reason - I believe that those who believe that the earth is round are telling the truth - you could say, I have "faith" in them.

Wait, how can I be talking about faith on a purely scientific subject, isn't it reserved only for religious people? Absolutely not. I have faith that the people who tell me the earth is round are telling me the truth even though I don't have the evidence myself. I have faith because I do not know of myself - I have faith because I do know with complete certainty that they are not lying to me.

So with this definition of faith, I could say that I have faith in pretty much everything. I have faith that when I rise from my chair and go to my bedroom tonight, that my bed will be as I left it. Do I have proof of this? Not from my current vantage point. My bed could indeed be missing and I would have no idea. I believe my bed is still there though I cannot say with certainty. Of course the question of the bed's existence is easy (without getting too metaphysical) as I could merely stand up and check if it is still there. The point is though, when I act on knowledge I don't immediately possess, I act with faith that what I believe is true.

Sometimes we can be deceived by our faith. Our faith in people, for instance, can be misplaced. Our faith in our bodies can also let us down. When your faith is proven wrong - in other words, when you found out that what you believed and were acting upon was not indeed true, what do you do about it? I find it important to reevaluate why it was that I believed what I did, that way I can potentially prevent a similar error in judgment.

This is why it is so very important to know why you believe what you believe. If you do not understand a belief's origins it essentially becomes tautological - an argument that by its very nature cannot have its inverse proven (basically a belief that is unprovable and impossible to disprove). While tautological arguments are not inherently bad nor immediately untrue, they can be difficult to combat when really trying to get at the basis for a belief to determine if that belief is valid or worth having.

Some base their beliefs completely upon the results of their belief. This is effective and pragmatic, but doesn't necessary make for sound arguments. For instance, "I believe that drinking is wrong, therefore I don't drink. Because I don't drink, I avoid the ills associated with drinking, therefore it validates my belief that drinking is wrong." This is pragmatic, but not necessarily true (or logical). I find that often this is enough for a person's basis in belief and many are content to leave it at that.

I personally feel that I must have more and in that am generally an incredibly skeptical person. That being said, I am also an incredibly religious person. Can a skeptic be religious? I say of course. A skeptic is someone who questions something, but even a skeptic who finds enough evidence to believe something can exercise faith in it. As such, I have enough evidence to convince me that my religious beliefs are worthwhile.

So to come full circle - why do I believe what I believe? Using the reasoning I described above, it can be safely assumed that anything I believe in I have a reason for that is generally faith based. Even when I experience something myself, I must still exercise some faith that what I perceived to be real was indeed as I perceived it to be. This goes for everything: from faith that my bed is where I left it, faith that my car will take me all the way to school, faith that some great discovery will not turn modern neuroscience on its head and force me to change my major, and finally even faith that my religious beliefs are valid.

Because so many of the other elements of faith are very intuitive to those reading this blog, I will focus the rest of this discussion on why I believe what I believe religiously and why am I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I believe that the man Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, that he saw God and Jesus Christ, that they revealed to him that he should reform God's true and original church in these latter days. As such, I believe that what Joseph Smith said God told him to do, God did indeed tell him to do and it was for a wise purpose even if I do not fully understand it. I believe that the church he formed is God's true and living church upon the earth today and it will endure until Jesus Christ returns again. I believe that He, Jesus Christ is the head of this church and is guiding and directing its leaders today. I believe therefore that what the leaders of my church advise us to do is true, that it is from God directly for me to hear and that I will obey as if commanded by God Himself.

But why do I believe these things? While I have had many positive experiences since having joined the church, it is my initial experiences in the end that have convinced me. I believe that after opening my heart to the idea that it could be true, and exercising faith to find out for myself if it was indeed true, that God Himself revealed to me that the church is true and that Joseph Smith was his prophet. He revealed it to me by a power I cannot completely describe, but one of such force that I am convinced totally that it was God who spoke to me, and that if I were to deny it, it would be as if denying that I am alive I am so convinced of it.

I am convinced with such awesome force that this belief kept me from making many tempting mistakes and even lead me back from the brink of my own destruction despite every knowledgeable voice in the world telling me I was doomed. I will not describe the entirety of these events here in this post so as not to derail it. Suffice it to say, the experience further impressed upon me how complete my conversion was.

I believe these things because I was humble, asked God, and was convinced with awesome power. Can I prove it to you? No. I know of myself, but my experiences were personal and very much my own, however I do believe that God is consistent and that He can reveal to you that which he has revealed to me should you seek it.

So what is your basis of belief?

I tend to do a bit of backing up...if my actions and *beliefs* don't match up then there's a problem. This helps me to work out what beliefs are *authentic* or lacking in *authenticity*. Either the problem is with internalising or with externalising.

However at the end of the day there is only so much time for reflection and analysis. I'm a bit more mellow these days on many fronts and mostly lean towards forgiveness and being grateful.

I tend to do a bit of backing up...if my actions and *beliefs* don't match up then there's a problem. This helps me to work out what beliefs are *authentic* or lacking in *authenticity*. Either the problem is with internalising or with externalising.

However at the end of the day there is only so much time for reflection and analysis. I'm a bit more mellow these days on many fronts and mostly lean towards forgiveness and being grateful.

Great thoughts. I think the very foundational basis for my belief is choice. I have chosen to find God and learn His will for me. Everything else has sprung from that journey.

My basis for belief in Jesus has come from witnessing Him answering my prayers. The manner in which the answer comes.

My faith has been strengthened by "choosing to believe" that everything happening in my life is for my good (or can be) if I will humble myself enough to see His hand in all things.

Faith is not a thing that is "of this world". It does not submit itself to scientific measurement, thus, the world has no interest in these things.

A good Question you ask.

The basis of my belief as a Catholic is based on Faith and Reason.

I believe the Sacred Scriptures are true in matters of faith.

I believe in the 2000 year history of my Church-that points to Christ.

I believe in the leaders/Teaching Magesterium of my Church in pointing me to Christ my Lord and Savior as they teach with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I believe the Bishop of Rome-the 'Pope" is the supreme Bishop of the earthly Church.

I believe in the Sacraments of my Church in bestowing God's free gift of Grace upon me.

I believe Jesus Christ my Lord is present body, blood soul and divinity in the Sacred Host and Sacred Blood.

I believe in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Faith and Reason have led me and billions more to have that same belief.

-Carol

Guest joshuadc

"Why do you believe what you believe?" is a question I like to ask those who profess faith or belief in anything. This is not just a question I pose to those of religious faith, but to those who believe pretty much anything. After all, how do we really know anything?

While this question of whether or not we really "know" something could have volumes written about it alone, I tend to direct my question more specifically to how an individual (specifically the individual to whom I am asking the question) knows what they know or believes what they believe. I'm not looking for the "right" or "perfect" answer, merely if there is an answer at all. I'm often surprised how many never really think this through because I consider it to be an essential element to my believing anything.

So why is this important to me? It is everything to me. I feel to properly confess belief in anything I must understand why I believe it. For instance, if you were to ask me why I believe the earth is round, I wouldn't tell you it was from personal experience - rather it is that I believe my textbooks and those professors of knowledge who have told me so. I believe the images I have seen of the earth from space and that they are not forgeries nor misconstrued.

If you asked me if I could prove the earth was round, I would not be able to do so - merely refer you to a perceived authority on the subject and let you make the decision of whether or not you believed them yourself. So you might say that I don't really "know" the earth is round and in a sense, you are absolutely correct. I don't "know" it at all. So would you say that I believe it blindly? No, that would not be correct, because my belief is based in reason - I believe that those who believe that the earth is round are telling the truth - you could say, I have "faith" in them.

Wait, how can I be talking about faith on a purely scientific subject, isn't it reserved only for religious people? Absolutely not. I have faith that the people who tell me the earth is round are telling me the truth even though I don't have the evidence myself. I have faith because I do not know of myself - I have faith because I do know with complete certainty that they are not lying to me.

So with this definition of faith, I could say that I have faith in pretty much everything. I have faith that when I rise from my chair and go to my bedroom tonight, that my bed will be as I left it. Do I have proof of this? Not from my current vantage point. My bed could indeed be missing and I would have no idea. I believe my bed is still there though I cannot say with certainty. Of course the question of the bed's existence is easy (without getting too metaphysical) as I could merely stand up and check if it is still there. The point is though, when I act on knowledge I don't immediately possess, I act with faith that what I believe is true.

Sometimes we can be deceived by our faith. Our faith in people, for instance, can be misplaced. Our faith in our bodies can also let us down. When your faith is proven wrong - in other words, when you found out that what you believed and were acting upon was not indeed true, what do you do about it? I find it important to reevaluate why it was that I believed what I did, that way I can potentially prevent a similar error in judgment.

This is why it is so very important to know why you believe what you believe. If you do not understand a belief's origins it essentially becomes tautological - an argument that by its very nature cannot have its inverse proven (basically a belief that is unprovable and impossible to disprove). While tautological arguments are not inherently bad nor immediately untrue, they can be difficult to combat when really trying to get at the basis for a belief to determine if that belief is valid or worth having.

Some base their beliefs completely upon the results of their belief. This is effective and pragmatic, but doesn't necessary make for sound arguments. For instance, "I believe that drinking is wrong, therefore I don't drink. Because I don't drink, I avoid the ills associated with drinking, therefore it validates my belief that drinking is wrong." This is pragmatic, but not necessarily true (or logical). I find that often this is enough for a person's basis in belief and many are content to leave it at that.

I personally feel that I must have more and in that am generally an incredibly skeptical person. That being said, I am also an incredibly religious person. Can a skeptic be religious? I say of course. A skeptic is someone who questions something, but even a skeptic who finds enough evidence to believe something can exercise faith in it. As such, I have enough evidence to convince me that my religious beliefs are worthwhile.

So to come full circle - why do I believe what I believe? Using the reasoning I described above, it can be safely assumed that anything I believe in I have a reason for that is generally faith based. Even when I experience something myself, I must still exercise some faith that what I perceived to be real was indeed as I perceived it to be. This goes for everything: from faith that my bed is where I left it, faith that my car will take me all the way to school, faith that some great discovery will not turn modern neuroscience on its head and force me to change my major, and finally even faith that my religious beliefs are valid.

Because so many of the other elements of faith are very intuitive to those reading this blog, I will focus the rest of this discussion on why I believe what I believe religiously and why am I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I believe that the man Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, that he saw God and Jesus Christ, that they revealed to him that he should reform God's true and original church in these latter days. As such, I believe that what Joseph Smith said God told him to do, God did indeed tell him to do and it was for a wise purpose even if I do not fully understand it. I believe that the church he formed is God's true and living church upon the earth today and it will endure until Jesus Christ returns again. I believe that He, Jesus Christ is the head of this church and is guiding and directing its leaders today. I believe therefore that what the leaders of my church advise us to do is true, that it is from God directly for me to hear and that I will obey as if commanded by God Himself.

But why do I believe these things? While I have had many positive experiences since having joined the church, it is my initial experiences in the end that have convinced me. I believe that after opening my heart to the idea that it could be true, and exercising faith to find out for myself if it was indeed true, that God Himself revealed to me that the church is true and that Joseph Smith was his prophet. He revealed it to me by a power I cannot completely describe, but one of such force that I am convinced totally that it was God who spoke to me, and that if I were to deny it, it would be as if denying that I am alive I am so convinced of it.

I am convinced with such awesome force that this belief kept me from making many tempting mistakes and even lead me back from the brink of my own destruction despite every knowledgeable voice in the world telling me I was doomed. I will not describe the entirety of these events here in this post so as not to derail it. Suffice it to say, the experience further impressed upon me how complete my conversion was.

I believe these things because I was humble, asked God, and was convinced with awesome power. Can I prove it to you? No. I know of myself, but my experiences were personal and very much my own, however I do believe that God is consistent and that He can reveal to you that which he has revealed to me should you seek it.

So what is your basis of belief?

Hello everyone, I hate to rain on the parade here, but this is the most absurd post I think I have seen on a religious board on a long time. The poster claims " If you do not understand a belief's origins it essentially becomes tautological"...yet this poster only offers those type of improvable arguments and foregone conclusions for belief. There is also a serious mistake of logic here, that is belief based on "faith" and belief based on reason and evidence. The two cannot logically co-exist, the poster attempts to blend the two and only offers evidence of these faith based beliefs which are offered no basis in reason, science, probability, history, or statistics, for one simple and subjectively validated item...due to positive experiences since joining the church. Any semi-intelligent human reading this should realize that a positive experience after joining a church, chess club, or eating a ham sandwich, could have nothing to do with that proposition being true. Are you in an LDS community? Did your social life improve after "joining the club", did you now have a social "in group" that is somewhat more altruistic? All of these could be social factors. Perhaps you even felt good about setting goals to restrict your own behavior, or be more "moral" which you reached and it increased your self esteem...these could all be very reasonable and rationable explainations without invoking a sky god, and prophet for which you have invoked no proof, reason, or evidence to support.

Your post is somewhat offensive to human intelligence, I suggest you do a bit of reading on logic, reason, and its relationship to religion before you pretend to offer such enlightenment... :)

Of course I am the new resident agnostic here, but I am open to evidence and reason the LDS church is true, I wish you all the best...

Joshuadc

I wrote,

"But why do I believe these things? While I have had many positive experiences since having joined the church, it is my initial experiences in the end that have convinced me. I believe that after opening my heart to the idea that it could be true, and exercising faith to find out for myself if it was indeed true, that God Himself revealed to me that the church is true and that Joseph Smith was his prophet. He revealed it to me by a power I cannot completely describe, but one of such force that I am convinced totally that it was God who spoke to me, and that if I were to deny it, it would be as if denying that I am alive I am so convinced of it."

and

"Can I prove it to you? No. I know of myself, but my experiences were personal and very much my own, however I do believe that God is consistent and that He can reveal to you that which he has revealed to me should you seek it."

If this were an empirical study then I would not have made these claims, instead I would have given you a specific process by which to achieve testable results. I have no valid scientific proof for my beliefs, as such there is no peer-reviewed journal involved, but my point of this post is that I am fully aware of this, and I want others to do a self examination and explain why it is they believe what they believe.

Let me explain. In my experience, too many unknowingly deceive themselves, and do not know their own limitations on what they believe or why they do. Because of this, when the storms of life come that challenge their faith, they haven't a rock upon which to stand. I especially see this in the greater Christian community at large where their basis of belief is really, "well my pastor told me so," and when asked how they know their pastor knows, they appeal to authority - "well he has studied more than I have." This is a great way to introduce non-canon doctrine to a church, btw, but I digress.

While this is not a bad basis of belief, it is not enough for me personally. Were I not convinced that, as I wrote above, "God Himself revealed it to me", there is no waaaaaay I could be a member of this church - there are too many things about it I do not understand and the sacrifice for me to be a member is substantial. Despite the fact that I believe God revealed it to me, it doesn't mean that I believe this knowledge doesn't require a measure of faith to believe. In the end, could my experience have not been what it appeared to me to be? Perhaps, but until something convinces me otherwise with as much awesome power, I will stick to this as my basis of belief.

I hope I've cleared up my drivel. So what is your basis of belief? I'm sure you have one, and from the sounds of it, it is probably based on testable, empirical study, and the scientific method, but I would like to know from you.

Joshuadc, I looked up your posts as declanr and now I understand more why you were drawn to my thread.

It would seem that your desire to believe needs to be based on logical reasoning, historical, and scientific evidence. This is perfectly reasonable!!!

It will not however, in my opinion, be sufficient to have a belief in God. It doesn't mean there is enough evidence to disprove the existence of God, just that it won't be sufficient to believe God exists. Even were he to appear to you personally, it would still require faith to believe what you experienced was real, not a delusion, etc. Even worse, the rest of the world will use the same type of arguments against your vision that you use against those who claim the same.

In my opinion, you cannot separate faith from belief in anything (one of the subjects of my first post). Even if you disagree with this general claim, then I imagine you would agree with this more specific one: You cannot separate faith from a belief in God. You need to have it to believe because there is no discernible rock-solid evidence (as I've yet found) - only my experiences.

I believe God exists and is consistent. If He is willing to give me sufficient of an experience as I can exercise faith in Him, then He can do the same for you. I read that you have met with the missionaries. I did not join the church for a long time because I kept refuting their points and would not do the simple act they asked me to do: read the Book of Mormon and ask God if it is true. Once I did this, despite all my Biblical knowledge, anti-LDS readings and other religious readings to the contrary, I came to a strong belief that it was true because of the revelation of God to me.

I'll repeat this again just for clarity's sake. You cannot separate faith from belief in God. Until you are willing to accept faith as a valid basis for belief, you will not find the answers to your questions.

Thank you, and good luck to you!

Joshuadc

I wrote,

"But why do I believe these things? While I have had many positive experiences since having joined the church, it is my initial experiences in the end that have convinced me. I believe that after opening my heart to the idea that it could be true, and exercising faith to find out for myself if it was indeed true, that God Himself revealed to me that the church is true and that Joseph Smith was his prophet. He revealed it to me by a power I cannot completely describe, but one of such force that I am convinced totally that it was God who spoke to me, and that if I were to deny it, it would be as if denying that I am alive I am so convinced of it."

and

"Can I prove it to you? No. I know of myself, but my experiences were personal and very much my own, however I do believe that God is consistent and that He can reveal to you that which he has revealed to me should you seek it."

Our new friend is clearly under the false belief that spirituality can be observed in a test tube. Don't sweat it Interalia, as I'm sure you won't. ^_^

I'll repeat this again just for clarity's sake. You cannot separate faith from belief in God. Until you are willing to accept faith as a valid basis for belief, you will not find the answers to your questions.

Thank you, and good luck to you!

Well said! I'd like to direct joshua to a blog post in this very subject I wrote:

Faith | Skyler Collins: God's Two Options

Our new friend is clearly under the false belief that spirituality can be observed in a test tube. Don't sweat it Interalia, as I'm sure you won't. ^_^

LOL! If only it were that easy! But then again, if our beliefs about the pre-existence are to be believed, we REJECTED the less easy path in favor of the one with the greatest rewards.

in the preexistence satan said,hey i can make sure everyone comes back! i will tell them and not leave belief in God to something as thin as faith. they will know and not need faith if you follow my plan.

we ALL rejected that plan who came here to this mortal life. we opted out for the faith plan. we would NEVER be able to prove scientifically that God was who He is. this plan allowed us the chance to prove our inner willingness to follow God without any cheat sheets to tell us exactly what to do. we would require faith to know what His will was. we would have the free agency to follow that will or not follow it.

we had the option of the easy way and we chose the one that would prove our love for our Father, even though it was not so easy.

Ether 12: 6, 8

6 And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

8 But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and glorified the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen.

The basis of my belief. . . I put the above scriptures to the test and received a witness of my faith.

applepansy

Well, I suppose the basis of my faith lies in the reality of how my life works and feels based upon what I believe. If I choose not to believe in God.....or to suspend my moral code.....I feel emptiness and the scorching consequences of such choices in my soul. I choose to live and believe in God and the spirit and live with the assurance and evidences that it will guide me to truth and I see the fruit of living in that sort of posture. I see my prayers answered. I see the support and guidance I need inside the wilderness of my life and the trials and weaknesses that so easily beset me. '

If I believe lies, I see the fruit of that erroneous belief or I feel a longing inside my soul that there is something more. And because of my experience with lies and the limits and even destruction of such ideas, I have become a lover a truth. I don't know all truth and I don't suppose I can. But I know some truth and have been taught from something outside of myself (God) truth verses error. I have seen the evidence.....felt the evidence of the truth of the Book of Mormon and the divinity of Jesus Christ. I must believe. If I didn't, I would have to live a lie in order to do so because I would be denying the light I have received.

I walk by faith and I live by the light that comes as a reward of faith. I stumble because of my weakness and the darkness that comes with it and I repent and walk again in the light.

This is the basis of my belief: the way I live my life and the discernment of truth along the way. I may not be able to know somethings, but I do not believe in the idea that we "cannot" know truth. I think there are things we can know IF we discipline ourselves to the proper way to live which subsequently opens the doors to knowledge.

Interalia: I think the question and the journey is

what does it mean to make a choice

what does it mean to have faith

I often see the question on this forum: How do you know when you feel the spirit?

Because it is important.

And prayerful.

For some, choosing is when you you choose to go to church and you're either there or you're not there.

Choice.

Agency.

Mind you if you're outside shouting stuff and wearing a little placard you've chosen to go to church alright, but your definition of choice is a little different from the choice that the people who are inside the building made.

Well okay...they're still at church...and maybe God can work with that much of a choice a little..

Being faithful is a leap towards faith sometimes...getting the two together...I believe in prayerful paths.

Any semi-intelligent human reading this should realize that a positive experience after joining a church, chess club, or eating a ham sandwich, could have nothing to do with that proposition being true. QUOTE]

I don't know about a ham sandwich, but after tasting my very first bearclaw I knew beyond a doubt there was a Higher Power and He loved me :P

I have thought much and at length on this topic. Epistemology, logic, philosophy, etc has been a delight to me (for the most part) in my college years (now over 20 years past, sigh). And an even greater delight in the years since.

At first as a child, I believed my parents and the teachers at Primary/Sunday School (born LDS). Then, I began to experience God. My belief became 'faith' in the Mormon scriptural sense of the word, not the worldy definition. The Holy Ghost has been helping me find truth, and also to 'unlearn' the errors I picked up on the way.

These days I am blessed beyond measure. I am His. Here is a brief testimony I put together on this site: Personal Beliefs » hijolly comes clean » LDS Mormon Network

HiJolly

I've put off reading this post for a couple days now simply because it is so long and I've been short on time lately. Now that I have read it all the way through, I find your perspective very interesting.

I consider myself agnostic, and as such I don't believe it is possible to know anything as absolute truth with our limited perspective. You say that in your experience, "too many unknowingly deceive themselves" and I would strongly agree. I am curious though, what makes you sure you are not one of those people? I mean, obviously you have put a lot of thought into the subject and are not a person who is religious out of habit or appeals to authority, but what makes you sure that your faith affirming experience is "true" and that other people who feel just as strongly about their faith are wrong?

I have seen many people of different faiths who are completely and truly convinced that their religion is true and cite similar, very personal experiences for the basis of their faith. Personally, I find it more likely that these experiences are simply a manifestation of their desire for there to be something more or for deeper purpose. To me, that is the best explaination for the multitude of religions that exist and have existed throughout human history.

I am still open to the possibility that one religion is the "correct" one, but at the moment, I remain unconvinced. So I guess that is my basis of disbelief.

The basis of my belief is that I prayed, God answered my prayer quite definatively for me, and that's all I really needed. Sure, it took nineteen years to get that answer after praying, studying, rebelling against the thought, and yearning for it, but come it did.

In the end though, I would much rather be happily self-deceived than to be miserable in the "Truth." That's just me though.