Bookshelf material suggestions.

Guest monol1th

Guest monol1th

As some of you know, and anyone who is interested can find out by checking for my other threads, I have a non-member wife who is not keen on The Church, I've being trying to approach things gently.

My wife has still not asked me any questions about the church, and its not a welcome topic of conversation. As far as I know she has not looked at anything online either.

I'd like to give her the opportunity to read about The Church if she wants, and to that end I have stared a Church section on one of our bookshelves, next to the cook books, so its unlikely that these books will go unnoticed.

So far I have:

BoM (Missionary Edition)

True to the Faith

Gospel Principles

BoM Gospel Doctrine Teacher's Guide

I'm looking for suggestions for other books that I could add to the collection with her as the intended audience.

Thanks,

Mono

Jesus the Christ by Talmage

Mormon Doctrine by McConkie

Our Heritage

Miracle of Forgiveness

The first two are great to have in your LDS library. But really deep for someone who is just investigating.

Believing Christ

How People Grow

My husband is not a member. He does not ask me questions about the Church. He does not attend Church. He does however allow me and our daughter to go to Church, he allows me to go to choir, do visiting teaching, allow visiting teachers and home teachers to come over (though he only says hi to them, otherwise he generally does not talk to them), and be the RS music director. This means that he is respecting my desire to be an active member of the church, and to involve our daughter in it. This does NOT mean he wants it for himself.

Tread carefully, and whatever you do, follow the Spirit's guidance on this.

This means you gotta keep the Spirit with you, which requires church attendance, scripture study, and prayer, and I dare say hymns.

Did you know that you can get most church hymns for free on lds.org? Go download some! Maybe even play some Christmas hymns. If your ward is having a Christmas program you can invite her to that. Christmas time is usually when people seem to become a bit more flexible for a time.

Why not get her some LDS fiction books to get her interested first.

I loved:

"The Work and the Glory" series by Gerald Lund

" Master" by Toni Sorenson

"The Barrington Family Saga" series by Anita Stansfield

Any woman can relate to these stories and they just might

get your wife to open up and ask questions.

She will be in my prayers.

God Bless!

Jesus the Christ by Talmage

Mormon Doctrine by McConkie

Our Heritage

Miracle of Forgiveness

Jesus the Christ is awfully "heavy" a book to read for someone who has yet to express any interest in the Church.

The first two are great to have in your LDS library. But really deep for someone who is just investigating.

I agree completely. I also would say that Mormon Doctrine is actually a poor place to start, as (1) it is not official, despite what many people think; and (2) Elder McConkie was often quite extreme in the things he wrote.

I would recommend "Our Heritage" if she is interested in learning about the history of the LDS Church. Elder LeGrand Richards' "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder" is also a good place to start. It's a little long, and is deep at times, but lays out quite clearly the beliefs and doctrines of the Church. It is also included in the approved Missionary Library, while Mormon Doctrine is not.