Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis Series?

MormonMama

I didn't know about them. I really like Orson Scott Card. I haven't read many books lately that I've planned on reading. Except for book club, I just go to the library and grab 10 random books. My favorite is buying a box of books at a garage sale, never know what you'll get!

I'll check out that series for sure. THanks.

You're welcome. I really enjoyed them. You just have to keep in mind that they're purely fictional, based on what little we know of those women from the scriptures. I know one person who didn't like them because she felt that Card was trying to say, "This is what happened," when he's really just trying to say, "This is one way it might have happened."

Yes I've read them. . . I just remember they are fiction

applepansy

P.S. I have read another book by Mr. Card that I was terribly disappointed in. It was fiction but presented as historical fiction. I was not impressed and was very cautious when I read his next series.

Edited by applepansy
adding P.S.

Yes, reading fiction like that does help make ancient people more "alive" for me, even when I know that I have to take what I'm reading with a grain of salt. But it seems to make them more human, more real, when we get to read about feelings and thoughts that they surely must have had at some point, especially for those who only get a few pages of mention in the scriptures.

• 2 months later...

I read all three of them, I think my favorite was Sarah, mostly because I was able to relate very well to her. However, when it comes to Orson Scott Card people really need to tred carefully. His early stuff was quite risque, for example do not EVER read "Hart's Hope" it is chock full of sex and other not so nice things. After he got married however his work started to calm down and came into the realm of good reading material. For example, if you like Science Fiction his Ender's Game series is quite good, however it does tend to wander.

• 1 year later...

I read Sarah I enjoyed it. It is obvious that Orson Scott Card believes in the lives and deeds of the characters of which he writes in "Sarah." He approaches the subject matter in "Sarah" with a delicate, simple and reasoned approach. I can't imagine anyone taking offense to this book. The appearances of God throughout the book are subtle and take place for the most part out of view of the reader, with the exception of the arrival of angels in and destruction of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

My views on the Bible aside, one must give Orson Scott Card the proper credit for the effort of writing this book, developing biblical characters into mainstream popular fiction cannot be an easy task. I would recommend this novel to anyone who seeks clarification on the story of Sarah as told in the Bible. This is a good retelling of it.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I love about this series is that it feels like the books are chock full of insight into why the people did what they did. His narration point of view bounces between an extremely close third person that alternates between telling what the character is thinking practically in quotes, to telling the general train of the character's thought process if it could be seen by an outside observer. No motivations are left unexplained, and when a character is affected by something, we know why and we sympathize.