Question on spirit prison?

AnthonyB

Alma 40:

11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

So from this we learn that the spirits of all men are taken home to God who gave them life. Once that step is done, then we find that the next step is that the spirits who are righteous are received into paradise for rest and peace.

Alma 40:

13 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

14 Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this estate, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

We learn from this that the wicked spirits who are evil are cast into outer darkness.

So we learn that those who spirits who are wicked are kept in chains of darkness until judgment. (These are they who are preached to in spirit prison.)

Hope this helps. Notice nowhere does it state only LDS in any of these scriptures.

(Bold added above).

Thanks for the quotes. You might also notice that Alma 40 does not say ANYTHING about a spirit prison with a second chance to hear the gospel. Basically, according to the BoM, after you die, you either go to a place of happiness (the righteous) or you go to a place of despair (the unrighteous).

Thanks for the quotes. You might also notice that Alma 40 does not say ANYTHING about a spirit prison with a second chance to hear the gospel. Basically, according to the BoM, after you die, you either go to a place of happiness (the righteous) or you go to a place of despair (the unrighteous).

Hum! Did you read those passages I also included from the D & C.?:huh:

Copied for ready reference;

D&C 38: 5

5 But behold, the residue of the wicked have I kept in chains of darkness until the judgment of the great day, which shall come at the end of the earth;

D&C 76: 73

73 And also they who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the dgospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh;

D&C 88: 100

100 And again, another trump shall sound, which is the third trump; and then come athe spirits of men who are to be judged, and are found under condemnation;

D&C 128: 22

22 Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the dKing Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their fprison; for the prisoners shall go free.

So we learn that those who spirits who are wicked are kept in chains of darkness until judgment. (These are they who are preached to in spirit prison.)\

Bottom Line: Good go to Paradise for rest, Bad go to Spirit Prison to be preached too and given another chance.

Edited by lilered

This is what I have pointed out to LDS folks in the past... I have a hard time believing your average Christian has 'no part nor portion of the Spirit of God' has chosen wickedness because of not accepting the restored gospel, and is destined to be outside of Paradise.

5 But behold, the residue of the wicked have I kept in chains of darkness until the judgment of the great day, which shall come at the end of the earth;

73 And also they who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the dgospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh;

100 And again, another trump shall sound, which is the third trump; and then come athe spirits of men who are to be judged, and are found under condemnation;

22 Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the dKing Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their fprison; for the prisoners shall go free.

So we learn that those who spirits who are wicked are kept in chains of darkness until judgment. (These are they who are preached to in spirit prison.)\

Bottom Line: Good go to Paradise for rest, Bad go to Spirit Prison to be preached too and given another chance.

From lds.org :

Hell

Latter-day revelations speak of hell in at least two ways. First, it is another name for spirit prison, a temporary place in the postmortal world for those who died without a knowledge of the truth or those who were disobedient in mortality. Second, it is the permanent location of Satan and his followers and the sons of perdition, who are not redeemed by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Your church absolutely teaches that those without the truth go to "Spirit Prison" or "Hell". Only LDS and non-accountable persons, according to your theology, go to Paradise.

Yes, I read the D&C passages. I was just pointing out that the Book of Mormon says no such thing about a spirit prison or another chance.

From lds.org :

Your church absolutely teaches that those without the truth go to "Spirit Prison" or "Hell". Only LDS and non-accountable persons, according to your theology, go to Paradise.

Not strictly true, though I'll admit there are plenty of non-scripturally informed LDS that do believe that.

Our Church teaches that most religions have at least some truth, and some have a lot of truth. So there is indeed the possibility that non-LDS people may go to paradise. I've heard it more than once in General conference.

HiJolly

Not strictly true, though I'll admit there are plenty of non-scripturally informed LDS that do believe that.

Our Church teaches that most religions have at least some truth, and some have a lot of truth. So there is indeed the possibility that non-LDS people may go to paradise. I've heard it more than once in General conference.

HiJolly

Would you mind sharing the excerpts from the GC talks you are referring to?

"I Will Remember Your Sins No More"

He then told Corianton, "All men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life" (Alma 40:11). The "righteous are received into a state of happiness" (Alma 40:12), and the evil are "led captive by the will of the devil" (Alma 40:13). The righteous remain "in paradise, until the time of their resurrection" (Alma 40:14).

Hemi is correct. And the Terrestrial are considered righteous "noble" people of the earth. They just aren't valiant in their testimonies of Christ. But they are righteous. It is in this context that the thief was promised paradise by Jesus on the cross. The thief was not necessarily exalted, but through repentance had merited paradise.

The Gospel Principle book covers spirit prison in the last unit. See my earlier reference on this subject with what it says about whom goes where. Or read the chapters in the GP book, as it is for New Members it gives the information easy to follow and includes scripture reference.

Will there ever become a time when spirit prison will be closed(inmates release for time served an good behavoir)...it just occured to me. I'm just an infant investigator on this topic.

My *opinion* (and you'll get no facts from anyone on this, IMO) is that yes, at some point there will be no one in spirit prison. But I can't even begin to imagine when that will be. Just before the final judgement of all people, I would suppose. But I think that is WAAAAAAY far off.

HiJolly

^ thank you, I like the way you said *opinion* but that makes sinse, it also occured to me just now, that the last person tagged for release(imagine)would be looking around in a very,very, lonely place..wow.

My Dad(non-LDS)said once * speculating* that the only way you would see a guy like Hitler, in paradise, would be the infant Hitler/or just before he had his 1st evil idea..like 0-7 years old or so.

Go to the Gospel Principle manual, last section on Life after Death and read the three chapters. Your questions will be answered about duration etc along with scripture reference. If you don't have one go to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints website and go to Sunday School classes then pick Gospel Principle book, you can read it on line.

Each inhabited planet has its own paradise and spirit prison, as they are on the planet the people reside upon, just in a spiritual dimension.

So, when this earth becomes celestialized, there will no longer be a need for a spirit prison. All will be assigned to their kingdoms and none will be left for the spirit world to be needed.

Go to the Gospel Principle manual, last section on Life after Death and read the three chapters. Your questions will be answered about duration etc along with scripture reference. If you don't have one go to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints website and go to Sunday School classes then pick Gospel Principle book, you can read it on line.

Link: LDS.org - Sunday School Table of Contents - Gospel Principles

• 2 weeks later...

Divisions in the Spirit World

The prophet Alma in the Book of Mormon taught about two divisions or states in the spirit world:

“The spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

“And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

“Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this state, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection” (Alma 40:12–14).

The spirits are classified according to the purity of their lives and their obedience to the will of the Lord while on earth. The righteous and the wicked are separated, but the spirits may progress from one level to another as they learn gospel principles and live in accordance with them (see Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 762).

Dr. Lynn Ridenhour, the founder of WinePress Ministries, has a Ph.D in literature with a specialty degree in composition theory from the University of Iowa, has taught creative writing in both Christian and secular universities. Dr. Ridenhour has also pastored Baptist churches for years, has taught at Jerry Falwell’s university, and has been involved in the charismatic renewal since 1972.

Here is what he wrote about the Spirit World.

Paradise or Prison House?

by

Lynn Ridenhour

There are two New Testament scriptures we Protestants don’t know what to do with:

"…And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto you, Today you shall be with me in paradise." --Luke 23:43

"…He [Jesus] went and preached unto the spirits in prison." --I Peter 3:19

Paradise and the prison house? What do we make of them?

I have never heard a sermon on the prison house. Perhaps one or two on paradise. That’s it.

Let’s look at both.

Paradise

Jesus made an interesting comment to the dying thief. "…Today you will be with me in paradise." The Old Testament saints were in an intermediate state called paradise. Not heaven. Not hell. Paradise. Paul talked of a man "…how that he was caught up into paradise" (II Cor.12:4). He also talked about being "…absent from the body," but "present with the Lord" (II Cor.5:8).

The Lord’s presence is certainly felt in paradise.

But remember, paradise is an intermediate state. There are much better things in store for Old Testament saints—exodus out of paradise by Jesus himself!

The Exodus

Luke illustrates it. He gives us a wonderful insight into his gospel. Matthew, Mark, and Luke each recorded the transfiguration experience. All three gospel writers tell us the two Old Testament prophets, Moses and Elijah, were "talking with Jesus." But only Luke, the recorder—the stickler for details—tells us what their discussion was about. The King James reads, "…There talked with him two men…and spake of his decease" (Lu.9:30,31). The NIV reads, "…They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem." Both translations miss the mark, miss the heart of the discussion. The words "decease" and "departure" give the impression that the discussion centered around the Lord’s departure, around his death and ascension. Not so. The discussion centered around an exodus alright. But not the Lord’s!

The three of them were talking about Moses’ and Elijah’s exodus!

The original text reads,

"…And about eight days after these sayings, it happened; also taking Peter and John and James. He went into the mountain to pray. And in his praying the appearance of his face became different, and his clothing was dazzling white. And, behold, two men talked with him, who were Moses and Elijah. Appearing in glory, they spoke of his exodus, which he was about to accomplish in Jerusalem." --Lu.9:28-31

What exodus was our Lord about to accomplish?

Moses and Elijah were talking to Jesus about his coming and getting them out of paradise. When Jesus died on the cross in Jerusalem, he went to paradise and released the Old Testament saints. He also went to the prison house and led an exodus. Where do you think he got all those saints who were walking around Jerusalem on the morning of his resurrection?!

"…And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, and came out of the graves after his resurrection, and appeared unto many" (Matthew 27:52,53).

Prison House

Paradise and the prison house are both intermediate states for the departed. Which raises the question—Can the gospel reach beyond the grave? A scary question, for sure, for most of us Protestants. Our view beyond the grave is so static.

Have you ever thought about what the angels sang over the Bethlehem plains? They sang that the "glad tidings" should be to "all mankind." Was the phrase "all mankind" limited only to the population on the earth at that time? I don’t think so.

Jesus had already begun the work of preaching the gospel to those beyond the grave. The apostle Peter recorded,

"…For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built." --I Peter 3:18-20

Ok: this is not Mormon doctrine. This is Bible. As captives in the Lord’s prison house (or hell), the antediluvians were visited by the Lord, and the gospel was preached unto them. For what reason would the Lord visit them but to bring salvation? Peter gives us the answer in the next chapter:

"…For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to God in regard to the spirit." --I Peter 4:6

The Lord is the God of every age, the God of the dead and the living. And for that, we should rejoice exceedingly.

Isaiah sheds even more light on prisoners being visited:

"…And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall punish the host of the high ones that are on high, and the kings of upon the earth. And they shall be gathered, as prisoners in the pit, and shall be put up in the prison, and after many days shall they be visited." --Isa. 24:21,22

This passage refers to the destruction of the armies of the nations by the heavenly armies of Christ during his Second Coming. The persons referred to here are those who will be slain in that battle. The forces of Babylon, led by the beast and the false prophet, will move against the armies of the Lord. Babylon will fall and the kingdom will triumph. And the beast and the false prophet will be cast into a lake of fire.

"…After many days" they shall be visited. Who is that visitor? Isaiah tell us:

"…I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; to open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house." --Isa.42:6,7

Bringing people out of the prison house—the Lord will indeed accomplish it. I’m aware—there are those who interpret this passage as literal; that is, as a physical prison house. I don’t think so. I believe Isaiah is referring to the prophetic and to the spiritual dimensions of life.

Another passage:

"…Thus saith the Lord, in an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee; and I will preserve thee…that thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Show yourselves." --Isa.49:8,9

Surely, central to the Lord’s mission is to deliver the spirits held in captivity. Even the ones to be destroyed in the great battle of the fall of Babylon will be visited "…after many days." Either Christ will take the message to them, or send a delegated authority.

How Long?

How long—or how many ages—must a disobedient spirit stay in the prison house? One age? Five ages? Ten? Only God knows. We must keep in mind—the Bible speaks of eternity as "…ages upon ages." Paul used the term frequently. It seemed to be one of his favorite phrases.

"…Making known to us the mystery of his will—of his plan—He planned for the maturity of the times and the climax of the ages to unify all things and head them up and consummate them in Christ, both things in heaven and things on the earth." --Eph.1:9,10 (Amplified)

"…That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus." --Eph.2:7

"…Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages…" –Eph.3:21

There we have it, three of Paul’s favorite phrases:

"…ages to come…"

"…throughout all ages…"

"…climax of the ages…"

Again, the Biblical concept of eternity is—ages upon ages.

How long must a disobedient spirit stay in the prison house? It depends upon the amount of discipline needed. It’s every man "…in his own order" (I Cor.15:22,23). Our spirits cannot enter immediately into celestial glory if we haven’t walked in his ways down here. And how do we walk in his ways? Our spirits learn obedience through suffering and buffetings. God knows just how much discipline it will take.

Obedience in this Life

Perhaps you’re thinking, "…then if I get another chance in the afterlife, why not live it up?" A saint doesn’t think that way. Sinners do. A sinner says "…how much can I get by with and still make it…" A saint says, "…how close to God can I get this side of the grave?"

Why do we want to be obedient to the gospel in this life? Because obedient spirits stay out of the prison house and take part in the first resurrection! Disobedient spirits come forth in the second resurrection. Obedient spirits attain to the high calling—Sonship. Disobedient spirits must work out their own salvation.

Those who do come forth in the first resurrection will act as Kings and Priests during the millennium and will assist the King of Kings in ruling the nations, plus restoring his creation to its state of paradise. The majority of mankind will still remain in the prison house, receiving correction and instruction, preparing for the second resurrection.

There is a tremendous advantage for surrendering to the Lord this side of the grave. We’re not talking about a salvation by good works; we’re talking about a salvation that works. We’re talking about…

Degrees of Glory in the Afterlife

Once we die, we just don’t go to heaven and sit around. Scripture is plain—there are degrees of glory in the afterlife. Our Mormon friends are right on this point. Paul says,

"…There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead." --I Cor.15:40-42

There is one glory…and another glory…and another glory. Paul makes it clear—the afterlife is not static. Even this side of the grave, as we behold the Lord’s face, we’re changed "…from glory to glory…" (II Cor.3:18).

Paul mentions three glories. Those who have attained the two highest glories will come forth in the first resurrection—before the millennium. The "star glory" will not shine until after the second resurrection—after the millennium.

There are definite reasons and advantages for obeying the gospel in this life.

SUMMARY

Perhaps the veil pointing to the Beyond is not as thick as we suppose. Documented Near Death Experiences tell us so. There is an abundance of present-day testimonies of those who have gone on over to the other side and returned to tell about it. Their descriptions defy majesty. They tell us of green pastures and beautiful meadows and rolling hills and spring flowers and fountains and houses and people—and even animals.

No doubt about it, there's confusion in theological circles of Christendom concerning the term paradise. To most Protestants, when Jesus hung on the cross and said those memorable words to the thief, "…today shalt thou be with me in paradise," according to the Protestant theologian, He was promising the thief he would go to heaven that day with Jesus. But Jesus didn't go to heaven that day. In fact, three days later he told Mary Magdalene, "…touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father."

Bare in mind, the term "paradise" is used in different ways. To the Protestant, it means-- heaven, the final resting place of the righteous. But perhaps the biblical term means--the entire spirit world; or more specifically, the habitation of the righteous within the spirit world.

Personally, I think we’re on to something here. May I indulge in a personal antidote?

My mother, for instance, has a testimony of the hereafter and she's "high church" Protestant. About as "high church" German as you get. I'm amused, for I believe that stories of the hereafter are much more common among Christians of all backgrounds than we let on. But here's the rub. If our particular group has no place for such stories, we simply keep quiet ...like mother.

I find mother's story quite remarkable for two reasons: 1) Dad had passed away thirty-five years ago, and 2) her experience occurred within this past year. The story is fresh in my mind, for she told it to me not too long ago.

A Walk with Dad

In closing, let me share it with you...

I was on one of my regular visits home to see my family. I have three sisters. A few times a year, especially during the holidays, we get together with mom. One morning we were sitting around the breakfast table, musing as we sometimes do. And mother began talking, "…son, I've never told you this." Then she began. "…This past spring I was taking my usual walk when I felt a hand from behind me reach out and take a hold of mine."

We were all listening...

"…I turned around and it was Harry. Your father appeared to me. I said, 'O, Harry, it's been so long.' And he said, '…it has been a long time, hasn't it.'" I must say, she had my attention. Mom is a very down-to-earth person. I stopped her, "…Mom, you weren't dreaming, were you.? " She shook her head "no." I asked her again, "You say, dad appeared to you in broad daylight?" She said, "yes."

"You could see him with your eyes?" I wanted to make sure.

"Yes."

"And you felt his hand?"

"Yes, son."

"Then what happened?..."

I'm really listening now. So are my sisters.

"…I said, 'O, Harry. I don't know what to do. I've remarried.'"

It was real quiet around the breakfast table.

"He said, 'Everything's alright,' and then he left me. He let go of my hand."

"What do you mean, 'he left me.'"

"He disappeared."

Well, I must say, I was a little confused, and filled with lots of joy--all at the same time. I believed every word my mother was telling me. Mother never made up a story in her life! I just didn't know where to file this. Mom's story didn't fit a vision or dream. And Protestant theology doesn't leave room for appearances of personages from the other side. Not in broad daylight!

But the Bible does.

• 4 weeks later...

When the earth is celestialize as Ram mentioned, there is no need for a spirit prison. When the earth moves to a terrestrial state and is moved to that sphere of worlds, mortal beings will have the opportunity based that state light spectrum , in seeing spirits in person. There will be no more whispering of thoughts to mortal beings but what is done openly.