Question on spirit prison?

AnthonyB

OK as a non-LDS christian in LDS eyes I go to spirit prison to have the gospel preached to me by LDS missionaries....

But I've already...

Repented, believed, been baptised for the remission of my sins, received the Holy Spirit through laying on of hands and obeyed Jesus commands to the best of my ability with the help of the Holy Spirit.

I just haven't done any of that in the LDS church, nor with someone in LDS eyes with priesthood authority. (I view that all believers are priests, so I was baptised with priesthood authority. Furthermore that Jesus promise that where two or three gathered in His name, he would be there means that the ultimate high priest was present at those times as well, that they were conducted with His priesthood authority)

So is all I have to do to get out of spirit prison is to accept the need for priesthood authority as LDS understand it in Christian ordinances and wait for someone to get dunked for me in the LDS way? Or do I have to wait for the resurrection to get out?

OK as a non-LDS christian in LDS eyes I go to spirit prison to have the gospel preached to me by LDS missionaries....

But I've already...

Repented, believed, been baptised for the remission of my sins, received the Holy Spirit through laying on of hands and obeyed Jesus commands to the best of my ability with the help of the Holy Spirit.

I just haven't done any of that in the LDS church, nor with someone in LDS eyes with priesthood authority. (I view that all believers are priests, so I was baptised with priesthood authority. Furthermore that Jesus promise that where two or three gathered in His name, he would be there means that the ultimate high priest was present at those times as well, that they were conducted with His priesthood authority)

So is all I have to do to get out of spirit prison is to accept the need for priesthood authority as LDS understand it in Christian ordinances and wait for someone to get dunked for me in the LDS way? Or do I have to wait for the resurrection to get out?

The temple work would still have to be done for you through the proper authorized Priesthood channels.

But once that is done, do I get out immediately or do I have to wait until the Ressurection?

I must admit I don't get the whole authorized priesthood thing, to me it seems very "priestcraftish". The idea that God only allows the gospel to be dispensed by authorized salespersons who have an absolute monopoly seems not much like God to me.

You don't need to be baptized in order to inherit any kingdom less than Celestial Kingdom where the Godhead and those of the Church of the First Born reside.

Why are you concern with Spirit Prison? Are you a apostate? Are you a murderer? Perhaps a thief? Do you see my point? I think, you are speaking of Paradise.

Hemi,

I'm just trying to understand, this is an area of LDS belief that seems confusing to me.

I thought that LDS believed that all non-LDS went to Spirit Prison until the resurrection and only the LDS got to go to paradise. Then everyone gets moved on from there at some time into the level of kingdom you inherit.

Maybe you can give me a run down from an LDS perspective the path(s) someone like would follow from death onwards? (Presuming on your part that I have a genuine faith in Jesus)

Edited by AnthonyB

But I've already...

From an LDS perpective those ordinances you have done were not done with the proper priesthood autority. As a result they would not be binding eternally. However. I'm not Christ and I am in no position to say for sure where you will go.

If you did go to Spirit Prison then to get out you would need someone to do the ordinances through the proper priesthood authority(or what we like to call, "the right way," I'm just kidding.). But even after that you would still have to accept it.

Personally I believe a person would leave the Spirit Prison as soon as they accept it. They don't have to wait for the resurrection.

But once that is done, do I get out immediately or do I have to wait until the Ressurection?

I must admit I don't get the whole authorized priesthood thing, to me it seems very "priestcraftish". The idea that God only allows the gospel to be dispensed by authorized salespersons who have an absolute monopoly seems not much like God to me.

Well only the tribe of Levi had the priesthood for a while. The priesthood has always been restricted to a certain group. Even with your views the priesthood is restricted to believers.

But I've already...

Its really just LDS members, in the next life I’m sure all LDS members well be some form of a missionary.

(I view that all believers are priests, so I was baptised with priesthood authority. Furthermore that Jesus promise that where two or three gathered in His name, he would be there means that the ultimate high priest was present at those times as well, that they were conducted with His priesthood authority)

When Christ was on the earth he gave his apostle the power to seal on earth and in heaven. Yes we do need witness to perform Gods work, but with out the authority from God, what good is it? Christ didn’t just get baptized by anybody get got baptized by John the Baptize because he is the one that held that authority. We want it done by the proper authority so it good not only in the life, also for the next. This is the same for not only baptism but all the ordinances that we received (by the power of the priesthood).

No you don’t have to wait for anything. Once you have accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ, entered the covenant of Baptism (by Proxy, somebody on earth does the work for you) and you accept that work. Then you can “move on.”

There is other work to be done, but I really don’t know if that needs to be done before you can move over to paradise, or if it is done after. I’m kind of guessing after.

The idea that God only allows the gospel to be dispensed by authorized salespersons who have an absolute monopoly seems not much like God to me.

Gods kingdom is one of order. So anybody that just calms God’s authority is good enough? Not for me! God Calls Twelve Apostles. He gives them his authority! God calls leaders all the time. I see nothing wrong with that.

I thought that LDS believed that all non-LDS went to Spirit Prison until the resurrection and only the LDS got to go to paradise. Then everyone gets moved on from there at some time into the level of kingdom you inherit.

Yes, you are pretty much right. But we don’t move on to the Kingdoms until the Resurrection.

Have you had a chance to read the Book of mormon? Thoughts?

After you've been converted and your work has been done, I understand that you would move to spirit paradise and become a missionary yourself, and continue the work, probably seeking out your own family first and then going from there.

There is order in the house of God, is there not? Having authority from God to act in his name and officiate in his ordinances is not unreasonable, in fact, it's expected if things are to be done properly and have any efficacy in the hereafter.

I'm also not sure why it would seem "priestcraftish." It's not like those with the Priesthood bought it and sell it to others.

But I've already...

Anthony B: Part of the problem is that in our modern societies we have departed from the understanding of what comprises a covenant citizen within a “Kingdom”. Even under our current forms of government there are difficulties understanding legal rights that define the differences between ownership and stewardship. The LDS church is the restored church of Christ and operates today to prepare the covenant citizens within that “Kingdom” for things to come in the same manner and order that was established anciently by Christ.

There are examples in the ancient scriptures that demonstrate the true order and manner by which a person enters into a covenant with G-d to become a fellow citizen with the Saints in the “household” of G-d. For example; Jesus chose his apostles and ordained them with authority to represent him and to function in his absence within the ancient church.

Therefore the first point I would make is that we believe that to covenant with G-d that we must either covenant directly with G-d (as did the apostles that were ordained by The Son laying his hands on them) or we must covenant with someone appointed by G-d to act as his proxy. This ancient order and manner of covenant has been forgotten and lost to traditional Christians that have changed this order in their traditions to conform to their respective wills and desires.

I would point out to you that the proper use of the Name of Christ is according to covenant with Christ. Jesus tells us that he did nothing but that he was commanded, which demonstrates that he lived according to covenant. Using the name of Jesus Christ without the proper covenant is not binding. This is why Jesus warned that there would be many that would do things in his name that he did not know; which means that he did not authorize them. We see actual counterfeit examples in scripture of unauthorized using of the name of Christ. Like when Simon wanted to purchase the power to heal the sick and the seven brothers took upon them to cast out unclean spirits in the name of Jesus Christ.

In short we are very serious about our covenants and we have been commanded to covenant – not according to our whims or to what suits us but that which is proper and acceptable to G-d. It would not have been acceptable to G-d to create a separate religious sect for making covenants if there was already a place properly authorized to represent G-d. There would be no reason for us to baptize if the Catholic or Protestant or some other baptism was acceptable according to G-d’s covenant. Also keep in mind that there is only one “way” of deliverance from spiritual bondage and that is by covenant with Jesus Christ that was appointed (by covenant) as the mediator with the Father. There is no other way and that includes the counterfeits that claim appointments from Christ that in reality were not done according to the ancient order testified to in the Holy Scriptures

The Traveler

There are differences of opinion on who goes where in the Spirit World. I personally believe that good people will go to Paradise, where preaching also continues. Spirit prison is the place the wicked who have refused to repent will go to pay for their unrepented sins.

The Lord will give you the blessings you've embraced in this life. But we all will be preached to, even LDS, as there are things we may not yet fully understand or have accepted that we will have to hear and consider and hopefully accept in the Spirit World, in order to receive a fulness of Christ's glory.

If I accept 80% of Christ's teachings, should I get 100% of the blessings? Some would say 'yes', while others would say you would get none of the blessings (all or none). LDS belief is we receive blessings for that truth and goodness we accept.

It is not an easy question to answer.

Spirit prison is for Repentance. They who learn to love God with all their might mind and strength and love their neighbors as unto themselves do not go there. Regardless of what religion that they are in.

When a man is subjected to the greater intensity of the Holy Ghost....every sin on their conscience shall bring them torment and they will wish to go into spirit prison to repent.

As for ordinances done by other churches...if the people are not called and chosen and ordained of GOD then it is not valid. These in heaven will recognized that they have been deceived on the earth and shall gladly accept those ordinances.

Where two or three are gathered....that the Spirit of the Holy Ghost is there ...of this I have no doubt. However, unless the person who is administering the ordinance to you has been given Priesthood authority straight from the Apostle who last held that authority...then it is not valid.

Peace be unto you

bert10

But I've already...

AnthonyB, my friend. It clearly seems that you made up your mind about the subject of the Priesthood. I suppose it is OK for now.

Let's say you are working on a graduate degree at Three Rocks Arkansas University, a long established private university. You are wrapping up your thesis and are just a few weeks from finishing. Due to a host of circumstances beyond your control and some which you had no way of knowing, the university has lost its accreditation. Guess what? You do not get a degree and ALL you academic credits are worthless in the real world. You can fight and argue until you are blue in the face. You will have to enroll in a fully accredited program and see if you don't have to start ALL OVER again, but good luck. Yeah, seemed unfair and sad and you will be angry, frustrated and upset and _____ed (fill in the gap) out of your mind. But the facts will stand. The university has no authority to grant degrees. No matter how smart you are, the work you have done, time, sacrifice and even you belief in the soundness of the academic program.

The facts are:

"And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples [which were many]: and of them he chose [ONLY] twelve, whom also he named apostles..." Luke 6:13

"And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized." Acts 9:17-18

"After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come." Luke 10:1

In summary, my friend, even in heaven you will have your agency and it will be up to you to decide if you would like to accept the baptism and Temple Endowment will perform for here on the earth for you. And there as well, I will embrace you as my brother in the kingdom of our God. Although it will bring me much more joy to do it now. I would travel wherever you live to see you enter the waters of baptism and hug you right after.

The words of Alma are fitting:

"I behold that ye are lowly in heart; and if so, blessed are ye.

13 And now, because ye are compelled to be humble blessed are ye; for a man sometimes, if he is compelled to be humble, seeketh repentance; and now surely, whosoever repenteth shall find mercy; and he that findeth mercy and endureth to the end the same shall be saved.

14 And now, as I said unto you, that because ye were compelled to be humble ye were blessed, do ye not suppose that they are more blessed who truly humble themselves because of the word?

15 Yea, he that truly humbleth himself, and repenteth of his sins, and dureth to the end, the same shall be blessed—yea, much more blessed than they who are compelled to be humble because of their exceeding poverty.

16 Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word, or even compelled to know, before they will believe." Alma 32

Love you man.

I didn't read all the replies so it might have been answered. Chapter 45 in the Gospel Principle book which is for people investigating the Church or newly joined deals with the Post Mortal Spirit World and talked about Spirit Prison.

People who have accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives and held to the covenants they made go to paradise waiting for the second coming.

Spirit prison is called this because people in it do not have the ability to leave it on their own and go into paradise. Much like there are different levels of prisons here on Earth you could look at Spirit prison the same way.

The majority of people in it are in the equivalent of minimum security. There is no torment, punishment etc. They are there until the learn of the Gospel, the ordinances required are done on Earth and the Spirit accepts the Gospel. Then they are free to travel to paradise.

Those who were evil, fought against the Lord etc are in maximum security. There is punishment, pain and darkness. They are there until after the millennium. Then their torment shall end and they will also have one last chance to choose good over evil.

As the unit previous to this one teaches in that book, during the millennium righteous people no matter if they are members or not of the Church of Jesus Christ or Latter Day Saints will be upon the Earth.

While it does not state I have to take this in conjunction with the above to say that the righteous in the upper levels of Spirit Prison will be released at the start of the millennium.

So you can look into joining the church now, you can learn of it after mortal death and hope someone does the work for you on Earth, or you can wait for the Millennium and decide to do it for yourself!!!

It is all good and the Lord gives us plenty of chance for changing our minds!!

Seriously our church teaches, but not everyone gets it, that being righteous is what is important and that any religion even those who don't support Christ makes someone a better person and spirit of the Lord then not believing in the Lord at all.

I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true and I know for my family it is a great blessing. But the Lord allows us the choice to believe what we will and I support everyone's right to believe what they will even if it is different from mine.

There are differences of opinion on who goes where in the Spirit World. I personally believe that good people will go to Paradise, where preaching also continues. Spirit prison is the place the wicked who have refused to repent will go to pay for their unrepented sins.

I’ve asked about the Spirit Prison before, and this was only part of the answer I received.

I was told it was for people who had not had the chance to join the Church in their mortal lives. I was also told it was for people who had been a member of the Church, but then rejected it. And finally, as you say, it is for the wicked who do not repent.

The Lord will give you the blessings you've embraced in this life. But we all will be preached to, even LDS, as there are things we may not yet fully understand or have accepted that we will have to hear and consider and hopefully accept in the Spirit World, in order to receive a fulness of Christ's glory.

It was my understanding that people who lived worthy lives in the Church, including covenants made and kept, would go to Paradise.

However, I never heard anything about these people having to still hear further information about the gospel, so I don’t know about this.

If I accept 80% of Christ's teachings, should I get 100% of the blessings? Some would say 'yes', while others would say you would get none of the blessings (all or none). LDS belief is we receive blessings for that truth and goodness we accept.

Everytime this topic comes up, I ask the question: “Why would anyone reject the gospel once s/he is in the Spirit Prison”?

1) Obviously you’ve died, and are in a place where other people join you in listening to the instructor (someone from Paradise), as s/he teaches the gospel.

2) If I am physically in a place, where I am being taught a gospel I’ve already known about in my mortal life, why would I possible reject it?

Usually the response is that there is no guarantee I will know I am in the Spirit Prison, or something along those lines. But again, that makes no sense to me. If I know I've died, and people are teaching me the gospel, why would I reject it?

According to lds.org:

Latter-day revelations speak of hell in at least two ways. First, it is another name for spirit prison, a temporary place in the postmortal world for those who died without a knowledge of the truth or those who were disobedient in mortality. Second, it is the permanent location of Satan and his followers and the sons of perdition, who are not redeemed by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

I tried to post a link, but it wouldn't work. Just input "Spirit Prison" in the search, and it will take you there.

This topic always confuses me.

Elphaba

Again from the Gospel Principle Lesson 45 on the post mortal spirit world it states that when we die we will take our attitude and convictions with us. Therefore if someone has rejected the gospel on Earth for whatever reason their opinion of the Gospel and or the church is going to be negative in the post mortal spirit world.

Look at Lamen and Lemual. They beat up Nephi and get lectured by an Angel. Later they bound Nephi and leave him to die, he is freed of course. When the confront him about building a ship he zapps them with the power of God. On the seas using the ship God had them build they get ticked of again and tie him up only to face horrible storms until he is freed. In the New World they attempt to kill him only to have the Lord provide an escape.

How many times did they have clear proof that Nephi was under Gods hand and they get dumped on everytime they defy him. Yet they continue down the same path. It will be no different for us in the spirit world. We have to overcome ourselves to be open to the Gospel. Imagine what state those two are in when confronted with the reality. Humans are good at denial to not be proven wrong.

I grant you that I purposely left the membership issue vague when dealing with the spirit world as everything I have read says those who accept the gospel of Christ. And While I believe the LDS gospel of Christ is the correct version, I do not know since I am but a mortal who is learning, exactly where Heavenly Father and Christ draw that line in relation to other religions.

As I tell Investigators and New Members we have to remember that we can only think within the limits of human beings and not spiritual beings. As long as the important stuff makes sense to me I don't worry about the minor issues that might not be clear until the veil is passed.

It was my understanding that people who lived worthy lives in the Church, including covenants made and kept, would go to Paradise.

I agree, though I would include all who lived righteous lives and strove to obey the principles of the Gospel, whether they called it that or not. My view is that only those bound by sin were/are held captive in Prison. http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?search=spirit+prison

However, I never heard anything about these people having to still hear further information about the gospel, so I don’t know about this.

Oh, for sure. Even the best, most enlightened LDS person will need TONS more instruction. What we learn in this life is just the beginning.

Everytime this topic comes up, I ask the question: “Why would anyone reject the gospel once s/he is in the Spirit Prison”?

1) Obviously you’ve died, and are in a place where other people join you in listening to the instructor (someone from Paradise), as s/he teaches the gospel.

You didn't like my comment on this last time, so I don't suppose I'll say more.... but I *did* answer you.

2) If I am physically in a place, where I am being taught a gospel I’ve already known about in my mortal life, why would I possible reject it?

Ditto my last comment

Usually the response is that there is no guarantee I will know I am in the Spirit Prison, or something along those lines. But again, that makes no sense to me. If I know I've died, and people are teaching me the gospel, why would I reject it?

I can't imagine how it doesn't make sense to you. You do realize the veil would still be in place, right? How would you know it was THE Gospel being preached? Or that the teachers were from Paradise? How would you know the teachers or Gospel had any relevance whatsoever to your afterlife experience?

Maybe I just explained my thoughts poorly...

HiJolly

In Richard Burton's 'We Believe', he captured the quotes of those who will inherit the Telestial Kingdom Will be the wicked people of the earth such as adulterers and deliberate liars.

Joseph Smith

The telestial kingdom. Into this kingdom will go all of those who have been unclean in their lives. See verses 98 to 112, in Section 76 [of the Doctrine and Covenants]. These people who enter there will be the unclean; the liars, sorcerers, adulterers, and those who have broken their covenants. Of these the Lord says:

"These are they who are cast down to hell and suffer the wrath of Almighty God, until the fulness of times, when Christ shall have subdued all enemies under his feet, and shall have perfected his work;" [D&C 76:106]

Yet these, after they have been punished for their sins and having been turned over to the torments of Satan, shall eventually, come forth, after the millennium, to receive the telestial kingdom. (Answers to Gospel Questions, 2:208-10) TLDP:127

Joseph Smith

And again, we saw the glory of the telestial, which glory is that of the lesser, even as the glory of the stars differs from that of the glory of the moon in the firmament. . . .

99. For these are they who are of Paul, and of Apollos, and of Cephas. 100. These are they who say they are some of one and some of another-some of Christ and some of John, and some of Moses, and some of Elias, and some of Esaias, and some of Isaiah, and some of Enoch; 101. But received not the gospel, neither the testimony of Jesus, neither the prophets, neither the everlasting covenant. . . . 103. These are they who are liars, and sorcerers, and adulterers, and whoremongers, and whosoever loves and makes a lie. (Vision to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon, Feb. 16, 1832) D&C 76:81,99-101,103

James E. Talmage,

also quoting Joseph Smith

The Telestial Glory -The revelation continues: "And again, we saw the glory of the telestial, which glory is that of the lesser, even as the glory of the stars differs from that of the glory of the moon in the firmament. These are they who received not the gospel of Christ, neither the testimony of Jesus. These are they who deny not the Holy Spirit. These are they who are thrust down to hell. These are they who shall not be redeemed from the devil until the last resurrection, until the Lord, even Christ the Lamb, shall have finished his work." We learn further that the inhabitants of this kingdom are to be graded among themselves, comprising as they do the unenlightened among the varied opposing sects and divisions of men, and sinners of many types, whose offenses are not those of utter perdition: "For as one star differs from another star in glory, even so differs one from another in glory in the telestial world; For these are they who are of Paul, and of Apollos, and of Cephas. These are they who say they are some of one and some of another -some of Christ, and some of John, and some of Moses, and some of Elias, and some of Esaias, and some of Isaiah, and some of Enoch; But received not the gospel, neither the testimony of Jesus, neither the prophets, neither the everlasting covenant." Evidently a considerable part of the human family will fail of all glory beyond that of the telestial kingdom, for we are told: "But behold, and lo, we saw the glory and the inhabitants of the telestial world, that they were as innumerable as the stars in the firmament of heaven, or as the sand upon the seashore." They are thus not wholly rejected; their every merit will be respected. "For they shall be judged according to their works, and every man shall receive according to his own works, his own dominion, in the mansions which are prepared; And they shall be servants of the Most High, but where God and Christ dwell they cannot come, worlds without end." AF:369-70

President Heber J. Grant,

J. Reuben Clark, Jr., David O. McKay, (First Presidency)

In the great revelation on the three heavenly glories, the Lord said, speaking of those who will inherit the lowest of these, or the telestial glory:

"These are they who are liars, and sorcerers, and adulterers, and whoremongers, and whosoever loves and makes a lie."-(D&C 76:103)

The doctrine of this Church is that sexual sin-the illicit sexual relations of men and women-stands, in its enormity, next to murder.

The Lord has drawn no essential distinctions between fornication, adultery, and harlotry or prostitution. Each has fallen under His solemn and awful condemnation.

. . . . By virtue of the authority in us vested as the First Presidency of the Church, we warn our people who are offending, of the degradation, the wickedness, the punishment that attend upon unchastity. . . . CR1942Oct:11

Those Who Are to Inhabit the Telestial Kingdom Are First Cast Down to Hell in the Spirit World Before They Are Redeemed From the Devil in the Last Resurrection.

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith

Those who enter into the telestial kingdom . . . are the ungodly, the filthy who suffer the wrath of God on earth, who are thrust down to hell where they will be required to pay the uttermost farthing before their redemption comes. These are they who receive not the gospel of Christ and consequently could not deny the Holy Spirit while living on the earth.

They have no part in the first resurrection and are not redeemed from the devil and his angels until the last resurrection, because of their wicked lives and their evil deeds. Nevertheless, even these are heirs of salvation, but before they are redeemed and enter the kingdom, they must repent of their sins, and receive the gospel, and bow the knee, and acknowledge that Jesus is the Christ, the Redeemer of the world. (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:22) DGSM:93

James E. Talmage

Even to hell there is an exit as well as an entrance; and when sentence has been served, commuted perhaps by repentance and its attendant works, the prison doors shall open and the penitent captive be afforded opportunity to comply with the law, which he aforetime violated. . . .

The inhabitants of the telestial world-the lowest of the kingdoms of glory prepared for resurrected souls, shall include those "who are thrust down to hell" and "who shall not be redeemed from the devil until the last resurrection." (D&C 76:82-85) And though these may be delivered from hell and attain to a measure of glory with possibilities of progression, yet their lot shall be that of "servants of the Most High, but where God and Christ dwell they cannot come, worlds without end." (v.112)

Deliverance from hell is not admittance to heaven. (The Vitality of Mormonism, pp. 255-56) DGSM:93

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith,

All liars, and sorcerers, and adulterers and all who love and make a lie, shall not receive the resurrection at this time, but for a thousand years shall be thrust down into hell where they shall suffer the wrath of God until they pay the price of their sinning, if it is possible, by the things which they shall suffer. [see Church News, April 23, 1932, p.

6.]

These are the "Spirits of men who are to be judged and are found under condemnation; And these are the rest of the dead; and they live not again until the thousand years are ended, neither again, until the end of the earth" [see D&C 88:100-01.]. . . .

These are the hosts of the telestial world who are commanded to "suffer the wrath of God on earth"; and who are "cast down to hell and suffer the wrath of Almighty God, until the fulness of times, when Christ shall have subdued all enemies under his feet, and shall have perfected his work" [Era, vol 45, p 781; D&C 76:104-06]. . . .

This suffering will be a means of cleansing, or purifying, and through it the wicked shall be brought to a condition whereby they may, through the redemption of Jesus Christ, obtain immortality. Their spirits and bodies shall be again united, and they shall dwell in the telestial kingdom. But this resurrection will not come until the end of the world. (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:295-98) TLDP:564-65

Joseph Smith

And again, we saw the glory of the telestial, which glory is that of the lesser, even as the glory of the stars differs from that of the glory of the moon in the firmament. . . .

84. These are they who are thrust down to hell.

85. These are they who shall not be redeemed from the devil until the last resurrection, until the Lord, even Christ the Lamb, shall have finished his work. . . . 104. These are they who suffer the wrath of God on earth. 105. These are they who suffer the vengeance of eternal fire. 106. These are they who are cast down to hell and suffer the wrath of Almighty God, until the fulness of times, when Christ shall have subdued all enemies under his feet, and shall have perfected his work; (Vision to Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon, Feb. 16, 1832) D&C 76:81,84-85,104-06

Related Witnesses:

President Brigham Young

Jesus will bring forth, by his own redemption, every son and daughter of Adam, except the sons of perdition. . . . Others will suffer the wrath of God-will suffer all the Lord can demand at their hands, or justice can require of them; and when they have suffered the wrath of God till the utmost farthing is paid, they will be brought out of prison. (In Bowery, Aug. 26, 1860, JD8:154) TLDP:330

Parley P. Pratt

The spirit world is not the heaven where Jesus Christ, his Father, and other beings dwell, who have, by resurrection or translation, ascended to eternal mansions, and been crowned and seated on thrones of power; but it is an intermediate state, a probation, a place of preparation, improvement, instruction, or education, where spirits are chastened and improved, and where, if found worthy, they may be taught a knowledge of the Gospel. In short, it is a place where the Gospel is preached, and where faith, repentance, hope and charity may be exercised; a place of waiting for the resurrection or redemption of the body; while, to those who deserve it, it is a place of punishment, a purgatory or hell, where spirits are buffeted till the day of redemption. (Key to the Science of Theology, pp. 132-33) TLDP:637

President Joseph F. Smith

God will not condemn any man to utter destruction, neither shall any man be thrust down to hell irredeemably, until he has been brought to the possession of the greater light that comes through repentance and obedience to the laws and commandments of God; but if, after he has received light and knowledge, he shall sin against the light and will not repent, then, indeed, he becomes a lost soul, a son of perdition. ("I Know That My Redeemer Lives," IE1908Mar:381) TLDP:634

George Q. Cannon

I have thought sometimes that some of our people are inclined to think there is no hell and that nobody is going to hell. I tell you there will be a large number of people go to hell; they will suffer torment and will go where there is weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth; they will be in outer darkness and suffer far beyond anything we can conceive of. Latter-day Saints especially who commit sin, if they die in their sin, will go to hell, and they will suffer torment there until the day of redemption. But think of the length of time during which they will be in this torment (Gospel Truth, 1:85) TLDP:639

Bruce R. McConkie

Messianic prophecies . . . describe in a most graphic way how the Lord saves men from the direful fate that would be theirs if he had not atoned for their sins. It is known as freeing the hosts of men from prison-from the prison of death, of hell, of the devil, and of endless torment. And how apt and pointed the illustration is, for the prisons of ancient times were hell holes of death, disease, and despair. They were dungeons of filth, corruption, and creeping denizens. Sheol itself was known as the pit, the dungeon of despair, the nether realms of torment, the Hades of hell. To be in prison was worse than a living hell, and to be freed therefrom was to arise from death to life. It is no wonder that the prophetic mind seized upon this illustration to teach what the Redeemer would do to ransom men from the fate that would be theirs if there were no atonement. (The Promised Messiah, pp. 238-39) TLDP:51

You don't need to be baptized in order to inherit any kingdom less than Celestial Kingdom where the Godhead and those of the Church of the First Born reside.

Why are you concern with Spirit Prison? Are you a apostate? Are you a murderer? Perhaps a thief? Do you see my point? I think, you are speaking of Paradise.

I am confused by your statement. I thought all non-LDS had to go to "spirit prison" in order to have the gospel preached to them. Who, except for worthy latter-day saints go immediately to paradise? If you have a authoritative source (like scripture) to back up your statement, I'd sure appreciate it.

After you've been converted and your work has been done, I understand that you would move to spirit paradise and become a missionary yourself, and continue the work, probably seeking out your own family first and then going from there.

There is order in the house of God, is there not? Having authority from God to act in his name and officiate in his ordinances is not unreasonable, in fact, it's expected if things are to be done properly and have any efficacy in the hereafter.

I'm also not sure why it would seem "priestcraftish." It's not like those with the Priesthood bought it and sell it to others.

There is a prohibition on "priestcrafts" in the Book of Mormon. 2 Nephi 26 and when it comes to authority, ultimately it is God who chooses those who will serve Him. Even Jesus' own disciples were visibly upset when they saw others (not of their group) who cast out demons in Jesus' name. Mark 9:38-40 and Luke 9:49-50.

Some might say that if you only had 80% of Christ's teachings you would get 100% of the blessings because Christ's GRACE would cover the missing 20%. ^_^

if you are sent to spirit prison,spirit paradise, are you given any info on thos left behind? I'm thinking if so, would it be things like " bro. Jim, your granson just prayed and now fully understands Gods purpose for him" do you think'an/or know if this kinda thing would be relayed to us in the spirit world/or prison.

I am confused by your statement. I thought all non-LDS had to go to "spirit prison" in order to have the gospel preached to them. Who, except for worthy latter-day saints go immediately to paradise? If you have a authoritative source (like scripture) to back up your statement, I'd sure appreciate it.

Alma 40:

11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

So from this we learn that the spirits of all men are taken home to God who gave them life. Once that step is done, then we find that the next step is that the spirits who are righteous are received into paradise for rest and peace.

Alma 40:

13 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil—for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house—and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and nashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

14 Now this is the state of the souls of the bwicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, cfearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this estate, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

We learn from this that the wicked spirits who are evil are cast into outerdarkness.

D&C 38: 5

5 But behold, the residue of the wicked have I kept in chains of darkness until the judgment of the great day, which shall come at the end of the earth;

D&C 76: 73

73 And also they who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the dgospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh;

D&C 88: 100

100 And again, another trump shall sound, which is the third trump; and then come athe spirits of men who are to be judged, and are found under condemnation;

D&C 128: 22

22 Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory! Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the dKing Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their fprison; for the prisoners shall go free.

So we learn that those who spirits who are wicked are kept in chains of darkness until judgment. (These are they who are preached to in spirit prison.)\

Hope this helps. Notice nowhere does it state only LDS in any of these scriptures.

(Bold added above).