Is it OK to chew gum during fasting?

Superbaldguy

I'm rather surprised by all of these answers. In the Old Testament fasts were total..."dry"--no water, even. In the New Testament Jesus appears to have had water during his 40 day fast. So, throughout most of Christian history, fasts have been "water only." Of course there are exceptions for health concerns, but other than that, since chewing gum involves enjoyable flavor, it would seem to violate the idea of fasting.

I totally agree with you. My point was that health issues shouldn't keep you from fasting. I guess I should have been clearer. Prior to having health issues I didn't even drink water while fasting.

applepansy

I agree with Misshalfway. Maybe nobody noticed that we eat bread and water on fast sundays. It's called the sacrament. This just goes to show that fast isn't about the food. if fasting was about not letting a speck our nourishment enter our stomachs then we wouldn't partake of te sacrament on Fast Sunday.

But about the gum. I personally don't simply because I cant chew it and feel like I'm fasting. If I chew gum during fasting it doesn't let me become more spiritually minded than if I didn't chew it.

I didn't read the other responses, so I apologize if I repeat anyone.

Those who take issue with chewing gum on Fast Sunday are a bit too hung up on the LETTER of the law, as opposed to the SPIRIT of the law. Gum, for me, isn't about flavor. It's about making sure nobody dry heaves when I breathe in their general direction. It's a selfless thing!!

If you're really obnoxious with your gum, however, you should receive a life-long ban.

a (proper) fast does a few things

1. weakens the body (the natural man)

2. it teaches how to control the natural urges and desires of man

3. it strengthens the spirit

4. it is an operative of the law of sacrifice.

5. it is an operative of the law of obedience.

6. it is an operative of faith.

7. it is a prayer.

if chewing gum is done to satisfy the urges of the natural man, it is breaking the fast.

this is how partaking of the sacrament is not breaking a fast, its feeding the spiritual side to make it stronger while starving (or denying) the natural side to make it weaker.

only each person can decide for themselves what the basis is for chewing gum. the problem is that most people cannot be brutally honest with themselves.

is it to satisfy the natural man or is it to strengthen the spiritual man?

I agree with Misshalfway. Maybe nobody noticed that we eat bread and water on fast sundays. It's called the sacrament. This just goes to show that fast isn't about the food. if fasting was about not letting a speck our nourishment enter our stomachs then we wouldn't partake of te sacrament on Fast Sunday.

I don't want this to sound harsh or inflexible, but is there not something off-center about comparing Sacrament with chewing gum? If God has provided for our rememberence of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, a very somber time of reflection...to suggest that because their is consumption of bread and drink such a breaking a fast, the same as enjoying the fresh flavor of chewing gum...imho, as they say in Georgia, "That dog don't hunt!"

My standpoint, it has nothing to do with the FLAVOR but keep the water circulating in the mouth [cotton mouth when speaking].

Now, I can clearly see what others may say but think, it is not always as we assume that is the correct answer.

Fasting as PC pointed out earlier, the differences of fasting from the OT and the Savior. Most of us think a fast today is both water and bread but that is not the case when you go back and research what prophets had done in the past.

The fast sole purpose is based on that desire in seeking something from the Godhead or simply providing for the poor. Let us not delve on the letter of the law but the spiritual aspects of the law, as it is already stated.

Regarding Bishop Victor L. Brown once said concerning the fasting;

The greatest lesson ever taught with regard to fasting was taught by the Savior himself. In St. Luke we read:

“… Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing; and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

“And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.

“And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” (Luke 4:2–4.)

After this the Devil used all his cunning to tempt the Savior to abandon his mission. His response, as recorded in St. Luke again: “Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” (Luke 4:8.)

“And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

“And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee.” (Luke 4:13–14.)

These powerful examples of living the law of the fast teach some basic lessons. First, there needs to be a purpose associated with fasting. The Savior himself used the fast to gain inner strength and spiritual power during a crucial part of his ministry. The law of the fast can likewise bless us in times of temptation and stress if we are willing to live it.

Alma fasted to gain the strength and wisdom to accomplish a mission in which he had just failed. He knew he must have divine help if he were to succeed. After Alma had fasted for the purpose of accomplishing his mission, the Lord intervened and great power was given him. This same blessing is available to us if we will but take advantage of it.

Praying with a purpose is very important to the living of the law. It is not enough simply to refrain from two consecutive meals, whether the fast is the regular monthly fast or another, private fast. There are many appropriate purposes for fasting. Some are:

1. To overcome the temptations of Satan as the Savior did:

“Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?” (Isa. 58:6.)

2. To assist the poor and the needy.

“Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?” (Isa. 58:7.)

3. To achieve success in life:

“Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward.” (Isa. 58:8.)

4. To humble and prepare ourselves to communicate with the Lord:

Again in Isaiah we read, “Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;

“And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noonday:

“And the Lord shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.” (Isa. 58:9–11.)

Fasting and prayer is a positive experience. It is a form of worship especially commended by the Lord. As we fast with prayer, we demonstrate our deep purpose, commit that we will do all in our power, and consign the outcome to the Lord.

Commitment to act is the key to exercising any gospel principle. We must actually do what the principles require. Doing, in conjunction with fasting and prayer, is in itself a prayer of faith. The principle of doing is one of the great messages of the scriptures. Alma did preach with power after fasting and prayer. The Savior, being strengthened by fasting, did reject Satan’s every proposition and did rebuke him.

What about Trident Gum? Should it not be given a break even in the desire to hold to a rigorous fast? After all, it has no calories and it also removes plaque. All that chewing only serves to burn calories, which makes you that much hungrier - thus increasing you fasting performance and agility.

Guest queriesqueries

What a hilarious post and discussion. I love it.

I don't chew gum. Usually. My husband does, including while fasting. He doesn't do well on lack of food - it takes all his commitment and control to not be a grouchy bear. If gum helps him keep the fast as he understands it and is capable of, while still being kind to me and the kids, I am all for it.

If I ever implied to him that his gum chewing meant he wasn't fasting, he would be livid at my "holier than thou"-ness and would tell me to go get the beams out of my eyes before I talk to him again. I hope that whichever camp you pitch your tent in, you won't be judgemental of those on the other side.

(See how non-judgemental and holier than thou I am? Yeah. That's me.)

Guest HEthePrimate

I'm rather surprised by all of these answers. In the Old Testament fasts were total..."dry"--no water, even. In the New Testament Jesus appears to have had water during his 40 day fast. So, throughout most of Christian history, fasts have been "water only." Of course there are exceptions for health concerns, but other than that, since chewing gum involves enjoyable flavor, it would seem to violate the idea of fasting.

Is that what fasting is all about, avoiding anything pleasurable? I tend to think of fasting, rather, as both a means of connecting with God and a reminder of my dependence on Him. Taking a breath mint or chewing a piece of gum seem irrelevant. When I was a child, I didn't like Fast Sunday because, well, I got hungry. :) Nowadays I find that fasting is a good experience--it serves as a means of setting aside mundane distractions like preparing food, eating, etc. and focusing on Heavenly Father instead. I do still get hungry, but it's a gentle reminder that God provides everything we have, so I feel grateful to Him. Plus, fasting seems to have a cleansing effect.

Is that what fasting is all about, avoiding anything pleasurable? I tend to think of fasting, rather, as both a means of connecting with God and a reminder of my dependence on Him. Taking a breath mint or chewing a piece of gum seem irrelevant. When I was a child, I didn't like Fast Sunday because, well, I got hungry. :) Nowadays I find that fasting is a good experience--it serves as a means of setting aside mundane distractions like preparing food, eating, etc. and focusing on Heavenly Father instead. I do still get hungry, but it's a gentle reminder that God provides everything we have, so I feel grateful to Him. Plus, fasting seems to have a cleansing effect.

What is fasting and what is it for? Fasting traditionally is abstinence from food. A dry fast would include no water. Chewing gum, with it's flavor, but often no calories...what to make of it? IMHO, perhaps it's like Near Beer. Perhaps some LDS drink it, because it's alcohol content is legally nil. However, most would see it as violating the spirit of the WoW, if not the letter.

Fasting is for getting close to God. With longer fasts, it often involves seeking some kind of answer. We typically counsel that the time normally reserved for eating be given to prayer, meditation and Scripture study.

Will chewing gum keep you from God? No. Will it prevent you from hearing God's answer? No. BUT--THEN AGAIN, NEITHER WILL EATING FOOD!!!

My point? Chewing gum offers all the flavor of food and is a temporary trick on the mind, convincing it that food is being consumed. Additionally, regardless of being sugar free or calorie free, it is food--it is edible.

I've got no judgment to offer for those who chew, while others are fasting. But, imho, they are not engaging in a full-fast, unless health concerns preclude them from doing so anyway.

Matt. 6: 16, 18

16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Okay, I have an idea. If we are worried about getting too much enjoyment out of the flavor of chewing gum during the fast, then chew a piece of gum all day the day before the fast. The flavor should be totally gone, and then you can save it for the next day!!! =)

All joking aside, I really think that each and every person has to decide for themselves what is appropriate for them. I know that with all my medical problems there are things that I just can't do, and I have to draw lines and stick to them for my health, even tho fellow (good intentioned) church members try to get me to go above and beyond my limits. It is between me and Heavenly Father. I know that some of my sisters have given me funny looks because they don't understand that my blood sugar is dropping and I need to leave relief society NOW. I know that some people think my faith is not as strong because of little things like this, so I hope that everyone will realize that you cannot judge your neighbor because they are not fasting, or they bring a bottle of water to sacrament meeting or they are chewing gum, there may be a very good reason for it, and what they really need is more support to get them through what they are going through.

just my 2 cents!

...I hope that everyone will realize that you cannot judge your neighbor because they are not fasting, or they bring a bottle of water to sacrament meeting or they are chewing gum, there may be a very good reason for it, and what they really need is more support to get them through what they are going through.

Amen to that. I can't stand those who judge! Especially in a church environment. The moment ANYONE opens their mouth/mind/heart to complain-about/disapprove-of someone ELSE'S behavior, they just turned themselves into the world's biggest hypocritical sack of crap.

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

(No doubt, now, someone will accuse me of judging the judgers. :lol: )

I've got no judgment to offer for those who chew, while others are fasting. But, imho, they are not engaging in a full-fast, unless health concerns preclude them from doing so anyway.

Rabbi, is it also not written that mouth wash, althought it is spit out after fasting, is a break in a full fast, as is nibbling on one's hair shirt.

:)