Chronic Fatigue

Misshalfway

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DeborahC

Getting rid of the chemicals in my life and my diet changed my life... getting off of processed food and going to a 100% raw vegetarian diet, and then slowly transitioning into about 80% raw, 20% cooked.

Does anyone know anything about Chronic Fatigue and what things help to manage it or to make it better?

Hi Miss,

I am disabled, and one of the reasons is Chronic Fatigue Disorder. It has destroyed my life, that is how debiliating it is.

Have you talked to your doctor yet? I'll be honest, so few doctors understand it, s/he might not be able to help you.

There is a doctor in Salt Lake City who only treats CFS, and fibromyalia, or any other chronic fatigue/pain issues. She is well-known in the field, and speaks at many international conferences. Unfortunately, she has a six month waiting list.

First, you need to find out what is causing the fatigue, which is an incredibly difficult thing to do. Then you need to find a doctor who knows what chronic fatigue is, because if she doesn't, she is more likely to dismiss it.

I'm not sure where you live, but there are doctors acros the country who do treat it. I'm afraid not all of them are as up-to-date in the newest research, treatments, but sometimes if you point it out to them, they are more than willing to listen.

Do you have body pains along with your fatigue? Do you ever feel like you have the flu?

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

Well, in a nutshell, I feel like I got hit by a truck. LOL

My immune system seems to be non-existent. I catch anything and everything and have it days longer than anyone I know. The last six weeks have been filled with six different viruses varying from Bronchitis to the stomach flu. This has been going on for a year and a half. I got Cryptospiridium last fall and Mono right after that. I am pretty sure the Crypto took a couple of years off my life (I was so incredibly sick) but I think that the combo of that and the Mono and all the stress in my life were the perfect storm to damage my immune system.

In addition to that, I can't sleep, I have the worst PMS known to man (Which I never have had before this year), I have candida issues, I can't loose weight for the life of me, I am ALWAYS tired and even the simplest activities wear me out, and yes I have strange body aches and a headache every single day. I even have weird temperature issues with my body. I am either really really cold or abnormally hot. My husband calls me a space heater which is so different than all the years he has known me.

I was exercising in the summer months and really started to feel better and then Sept hit and my PMS hit an all time low. Three weeks of completely random meaningless hell. And then the virus marathon started again. I have seen four doctors. No one has any answers. And then last week my neighbor was chatting with me and suggested I look into Chronic Fatigue. I already had it in the back of my mind and had mentioned it to my GP. He said...."Well, I might think that too if I were you." but then said nothing else expect recommending I try gammaglobulin shots which ironically enough they don't make anymore. Anyway, my neighbor knows a Dr near my home that deals only in CFS and Fibro. too. I am trying to get them on the phone for an appointment. My neighbor also gave me two great books to read. So......I am trying to learn as much as I can. It seems to me that I am my best Dr. at this point.

Truth is, I would really like NOT to be tired and sick all the time. I try my best to fake it with the kids. I try to sleep when they are at school or nap with my four year old. This last week I haven't been able to stay awake. I slept five hours on Sunday. My husband didn't have the heart to wake me for church. I do the B12 and a million other supplements, but nothing seems to make a difference. My Dr. did diagnose me with PMDD and put me on prozac which I must say is helping, but from what I am reading, there is a strong connection with the PMDD and Candida which is also very related to the CFS. I think diet is my first line of defense. I just have to sort thru exactly what I need to do because the Candida diet and the CFS diet seem to conflict.

Anyway....blah blah blah. I am sorry to hear Elphie that you are dealing with this too. It is amazingly hard. And I don't think many people "get it". I drop off my daughter at preschool everyday and I swear her teacher thinks I am the walking dead. I look so pale and tired most days. It kinda makes me want to hide away.

Anyway, much love to you. Have you thought at all about Candida???

Edited by Misshalfway

My immune system seems to be non-existent. I catch anything and everything and have it days longer than anyone I know.

Keeping up your vitamin C content can help; I have doubled my intake, and I don't seem to be doing quite so badly. I've had Fibromyalgia since I was 8 (was diagnosed at 21)

In addition to that, I can't sleep, I have the worst PMS known to man (Which I never have had before this year), I have candida issues, I can't loose weight for the life of me, I am ALWAYS tired and even the simplest activities wear me out, and yes I have strange body aches and a headache every single day.

For sleep I use hypnotherapy tape and guided meditation, I also have a strict bedtime routine if I don't follow it I don't sleep.... for the PMS have you tried switching to a Diva Cup (we call it a Mooncup) - a lot of people find using one instead of tampons or pads removes most of their PMS. I know it does with me. Also ginger tablets helps your body regulate itself, has also been proven through research to help with pain.

Truth is, I would really like NOT to be tired and sick all the time. I try my best to fake it with the kids. I try to sleep when they are at school or nap with my four year old. This last week I haven't been able to stay awake.

Don't fake it get their help, explain it simply that Mummy doesn't feel well and needs their help so the home functions better, I tell my children when I am bad, find even Gubby at 2 will sit me down and get me a Pepsi - I do find caffinated soda is a bit of a lifeline in mid afternoon. We have 2 amazing young women in our branch their Mum has MS and have helped take care of her, I think you do your kids a disservice not letting them help.

If you are feeling confused or befuddled or faint try an orange juice sit down for 10 minutes then eat something.

I find my diet has a huge impact, eating less meat helps.

-Charley

Misshalf! I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. What a crappy holiday season!

Yep, it sounds like you totally have CFS. I'm sorry. :( I have "post west nile syndrome" that has very similar symptoms to CFS (but it has some nerve stuff on top). I've been getting every little flu that has been going around too, and this season it looks like the viruses floating around are fierce!

And, the PMS severity...have you been tested to see if you were exposed to West Nile while all this was going on?? Severe PMS/menstrual pain is a very common lasting effect that us West Nile ladies have. I am flat on my back in pain for atleast three days every month now and then my body has to recouperate from the energy used after that.

There is another factor that can severely effect PMS...thyroid. That's pretty easy to check with a blood test. If your thyroid is off, your cycles can go from being really mellow to monstrously evil.

When I first got sick, my doctor in Colorado started to look for the underlying reasons why I got so sick in the first place. For me, my thyroid was off and they found that my adrenals were really really close to being permanently ruined...and he told me no more work and to just rest rest rest. Viral infections can really impact the arenal system (which impacts everything else in the body), and if the adrenals don't have the necessary time and resources to fix themselves, permanent damage can occur...atleast that's what my doc said causes CFS. Without healthy adrenals, everything else in the body is just out of whack.

I myself am still looking for a good doctor here in UT. If you are willing to share any docs, please feel free to PM me. :)

Good luck my dear friend.

I was diagnosed with CFS back in 1999 and recovered in 2006. Mono-type symptoms that never really went away.

I know with most auto-immune illnesses that there's also an emotional component too (like depression, or some childhood abuse or truma) that the emotional pain is triggering physical pain. So focusing on the emotional side of things through counseling, may also alleviate or ease some symptoms.

I'd also recommend keep moving, keep exercising even if you don't feel like it. Even if it's a slow walk around the block. For me, going to the gym has helped a lot.

I have had the opportunity to accidentally help someone with Fibromyalgia. I made myself an anti-burnout formula since that is what I was facing at the time. Certain mix of vitamins, minerals, neurotransmitter precursors. Worked pretty well. My dad liked it and let a neighbor with Fibromyalgia try it. I made it for me, but she was an instant customer for a few months.

Give the body what it needs.

Avoid what it shouldn't have.

My dad's neighbor has since moved out of the city where there isn't smog and says that helped as much as anything. She has also gone vegan.

Food is tricky. Everything is a curve ball. One I thought should be best has turned out to be worst, but I had to go off for more than a week before being able to identify this. Once identified and properly replaced, it took care of a chunk of trouble.

That previous post by mattai is important too. Pain stuck in your nervous system from your past is big. The less fear or discomfort from your past, the less vitamins and nutrients you process just feeling pain. Nerves are firing to feel pain and this eats up resources. Notice how one breathes like they are out of breath when in extreme pain. That is a lot of resource getting eaten up followed by exhaustion.

Brain State Technologies

Got Stagefright? Be Not Afraid > Playback February/March 2002

Untie the knots in your nervous system, find out how to get it to let go. This is new to me, but I like it. It helps. I come from the anxiety side, so I'm not lost on involuntary nervous system discomforts.

I don't know what your doctor thinks, but my friend was able to work with his doctor to get low dose Naltrexone prescribed, basically inhibits opioid receptors for 4 hours a night, the body raises the amount of endorphins to compensate, then the drug wears off and the nerves can be cooled by higher amounts of endorphins. His MS stopped progression completely for 2 years last I knew, so he is obviously a fan. I googled it just now and found it has research on it for fibro and CFS as well. All good stuff.

My immune system seems to be non-existent. I catch anything and everything and have it days longer than anyone I know. The last six weeks have been filled with six different viruses varying from Bronchitis to the stomach flu. This has been going on for a year and a half. I got Cryptospiridium last fall and Mono right after that. I am pretty sure the Crypto took a couple of years off my life (I was so incredibly sick) but I think that the combo of that and the Mono and all the stress in my life were the perfect storm to damage my immune system.

In addition to that, I can't sleep, I have the worst PMS known to man (Which I never have had before this year), I have candida issues, I can't loose weight for the life of me, I am ALWAYS tired and even the simplest activities wear me out, and yes I have strange body aches and a headache every single day. I even have weird temperature issues with my body. I am either really really cold or abnormally hot. My husband calls me a space heater which is so different than all the years he has known me.

I was exercising in the summer months and really started to feel better and then Sept hit and my PMS hit an all time low. Three weeks of completely random meaningless hell. And then the virus marathon started again. I have seen four doctors. No one has any answers. And then last week my neighbor was chatting with me and suggested I look into Chronic Fatigue. I already had it in the back of my mind and had mentioned it to my GP. He said...."Well, I might think that too if I were you." but then said nothing else expect recommending I try gammaglobulin shots which ironically enough they don't make anymore. Anyway, my neighbor knows a Dr near my home that deals only in CFS and Fibro. too. I am trying to get them on the phone for an appointment. My neighbor also gave me two great books to read. So......I am trying to learn as much as I can. It seems to me that I am my best Dr. at this point.

Truth is, I would really like NOT to be tired and sick all the time. I try my best to fake it with the kids. I try to sleep when they are at school or nap with my four year old. This last week I haven't been able to stay awake. I slept five hours on Sunday. My husband didn't have the heart to wake me for church. I do the B12 and a million other supplements, but nothing seems to make a difference. My Dr. did diagnose me with PMDD and put me on prozac which I must say is helping, but from what I am reading, there is a strong connection with the PMDD and Candida which is also very related to the CFS. I think diet is my first line of defense. I just have to sort thru exactly what I need to do because the Candida diet and the CFS diet seem to conflict.

Anyway....blah blah blah. I am sorry to hear Elphie that you are dealing with this too. It is amazingly hard. And I don't think many people "get it". I drop off my daughter at preschool everyday and I swear her teacher thinks I am the walking dead. I look so pale and tired most days. It kinda makes me want to hide away.

Anyway, much love to you. Have you thought at all about Candida???

You need to get on the waiting list to see Dr. Lucinda Bateman.

In the meantime, I'll send you a list of books that are helpful. Remind me. . .I can't do it today.

applepansy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

As I read through your blogs, I realized that many of you are suffering with symptoms similiar to what I found associated with aspartame or other chemical poisoning. Please see my post on MS, CF, Lupus, and other autoimmune disorders and aspartame.^_^

On a more private note, I was exposed to a toxic chemical (a rat poison) at age 30, and it totally ruined my immunity to all illnesses. I had to deal with a lot of MS & CF - like symptoms for years, as well as Fibro and Endo, and could have easily been diagnosed with any or all of them. :huh:

I would like to share a secret I learned after much pain and illness. Since it has given me a much hope and healing, I hope you will be courageous enough to at least try it.:huh:

Purchase a bottle of Cinnamon Essential Oil from a Health-Food Store (Aura Cadia or Young Living Brands are best). Rub a thin layer on the bottom of your feet every day twice daily (once before bed, and again in the morning after showering, wait a few minutes for it to absorb, then put on your socks). Drink plenty of water during the day. Do not put the cinnamon oil anywhere else on your body (and wash hands after applying to the feet) since it is a very 'hot' oil. Usually, you will not feel it on your feet.:P

After only two days, I began to have more energy, and my cold (dry hacking cough, which I alway had) disappeared. My pain levels decreased, and my immunity increased with everyday that went by. After several weeks, I was able to move around freely without hardly any pain, and I had a lot more energy. I cleaned my house, and paid my bills, and called the kids, and did a lot of things I didn't have energy for before. I believe it will work hard for you too. :lol:

Cinnamon oil has a reputation of cleaning poisonous toxins out of the body. After the liver is cleared, the emotions level out, and the energy levels go up. It will be easier to lose weight after those things happen. Things that now seem impossible, such as sleeping all night, and staying awake all day will be easily accomplished.:)

Please let me know how it went for you if you do try it because I am interested as to how this oil will work for others. As for myself it worked better than any prescription drug, herbs, herbal formula, or supplement that I ever tried (and believe me, I tried a lot). It really helped my husband also, who had suffered with severe stomach aches and bowel problems for years before using it for several months.:eek:

In the meantime, remember that the Lord loves us all VERY much, and He is mindful of our needs. I developed a strong testimony of this during my darkest hours.

Herbal Lady:)

**************************************************************************************

"When you push against the boundaries of experience into the twilight of the unknown, the Lord will strengthen you. The beauty of your eternal soul will begin to unfold." Richard G. Scott, Ensign, Nov. 2003, 41

"Some have supposed that trials are reserved only for the disobedient. But the scriptures make it clear that even the humble and obedient will face tribulation. Experience is a great teacher, and sometimes our hardest experiences can be our greatest teachers (see D&C 122:7). This may be why we are commanded to give thanks for all things (see Eph. 5:30). Some blessings come to us painfully. But the Lord promises that 'he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be glorious'. (D&C 78:19). - Carolyn Wright, Tambuli, Nov 1994, pg 11.

"He who takes offense when it's not intended is a fool. He who takes offense when it is intended is a greater fool." (Brigham Young)

WOW Quotes. Get your daily Word of Wisdom Quotes by signing up at DailyWOW - Quotes for Mormons and LDS Members

**************************************************************************************

"I have a theory about the human mind. A brain is a lot like the computer. It will only take so many facts, and then it will on overload and blow up." - Erma Bombeck

"I haven't trusted polls since I read that 62% of women had affairs during their lunch hour. I've never met a woman in my life who would give up lunch for ...." - Erma Bombeck

"I never leaf through a copy of National Geographic without realizing how lucky we are to live in a society where it is traditional to wear clothes." - Erma Bombeck

"I take a very practical view of raising children. I put a sign in each of their rooms: 'Checkout Time is age 18.'" - Erma Bombeck

Edited by HerbalLady
Add WoW quotes

Chronic disorder, is spreading like fire across the land and starting to surface more and more, as people expressed their health issues. I wondering beside diets that specific waves from electronic devices, or being sensitive to them may be an additional problem.

I know when I was used to work in a government lab with mil-spec radios, even the low band emission would be a cooker for the brain and the body. After a few hours we would experience chronic disorders and fatigue would set in. Even the older cell band that was found resonating in the 900mhz band was a detrimental device for humans. The brain cavity does resonate on the same frequency. Looking back at Tesla writings, anything that resonate in the same freq band would cancel each other and could cause havoc, has he caused a earthquake in the New York greater area. :lol:

Anyway, what is already given beside dietary review, maybe look around to see what other household products, electronics maybe causing some damage to you.

I probably wouldn't have chronic fatigue if I would go to bed at a reasonable hour instead of staying up into the wee hours of the morning playing A-Z with Dr. T.

Thanks for asking Pam -

I don't have a group yet, do you think I should make one? I joined this one because I can identify with it's members, and we are all learning the best treatments together. Just yesterday, a member wrote about a new treatment on one of my blogs, and I think we'll try it - it's supposed to work really well for joint pain.

I do understand how annoying it is to be awake all night because of pain and insomnia, believe me. I take two nighttime pain killers, and two Pain Ease, and put on the pain ointment, and get about four hours sleep before my hips start hurting really bad, and I'm awake, ready for the next round. I don't like taking the nighttime Excedrin but it's the only one that helps me sleep. I read the book about Chronic Fatigue and it says that getting a good night's sleep is one of five things that has to happen in order to recover, so I've made it a point to try to get back in bed after taking the next round of pills. Usually, I can get about six or seven hours, and that's really pretty good for me - as before I was like yourself, and my days and nights got totally mixed up. Anyway, you're probably asleep now, so have a good nap, and maybe I'll talk to you later this afternoon.

HerbalLady

PS The time on this system is confused... I posted at 5:17am my time.

Edited by HerbalLady
Time on the system is wrong

I thought there was a group already started but it was started by someone with a different name...but it had your avatar. But now I can't find it. I had even posted a question on it. Something Mom50 was the name or something along that line.

Edited by pam

either me or Gabelma started one before I lost the internet noone had posted and I tried to resurrect it but guess it had been forgotten

Groups » LDS Mormon Network

My goal with it had been to focus on the spiritual aspect of healing the soul as much as the body and learning to live with it but happy for a new focus lol I

wanted to change the illness from a trial to a blessing which is what I am working on in my own life.

actually i had forgotten about it too

-Charley

I know with most auto-immune illnesses that there's also an emotional component too (like depression, or some childhood abuse or truma) that the emotional pain is triggering physical pain. So focusing on the emotional side of things through counseling, may also alleviate or ease some symptoms.

Actually, it is a myth that childhood trauma causes auto-immune diseases. Most people who contract these diseases had normal and happy childhoods.

For years I worked with a specialist in CFS/FM, and she was always very aggravated at the Social Security judges, especially one who would not grant a person disability for fibromyalgia unless s/he had been sexually abused as a child. She knew this did not hold true, but this one judge would not budge; thus, a significant nuimber of people with CFS/FM were denied disability, when, in fact, they were as sick as anyone else.

In fact, depression is secondary to CFS, as it is to FM/LS/MS, and almost everyone who contracts one or more of these diseases experiences great bouts of grief and hopelessness.

Again, there is a link between these auto-immune diseases and the patient's depression; however, the depression is secondary to the disease, not the cause.

Elphaba

I know when I was used to work in a government lab with mil-spec radios, even the low band emission would be a cooker for the brain and the body. After a few hours we would experience chronic disorders and fatigue would set in. Even the older cell band that was found resonating in the 900mhz band was a detrimental device for humans. The brain cavity does resonate on the same frequency. Looking back at Tesla writings, anything that resonate in the same freq band would cancel each other and could cause havoc ... look around to see what other household products, electronics maybe causing some damage to you.

I did some research on electronic devices and health problems connected, and I agree. If we want good health, we don't carry electronic devices in our pockets, or put them on our heads. If we do, most assuredly, health problems will follow. Thanks for the post.

Edited by HerbalLady

Herbal Lady...did you delete your group or did it get lost with the downing of the site yesterday?

Thanks. Yes, I did start a new group (Herbal Remedies for Wellness), and used my old avatar- I wrote and asked Heather if she could fix it. I did write a blog responding to your question today. Sorry about the wait. I think it fell into a pit for a while because of the avatar change... Edited by HerbalLady

don't know about anyone else but I have had mine since I was tiny - I remember walking to playgroup so must have been 3 or 4 on the sides of my feet because to put them down was agony... I have had trauma and psychological pain in my life but my Fibromyalgia A) predates this and B) hit me worst at my most secure, I was away from home and having a ball.. It also goes into remission when I am pregnant, a time when I do suffer from depression.

Yes of course there is an emotional componant - even someone with a dose of flu lasting 3 weeks can get depressed, have yet to meet anyone in constant pain and exhaustion that can cope without emtional stress for a few days let alone many years. And I know from my own experience helping the emotional side helps the physical - there is also ways I am sure where we can learn to help the spirit override the body, that is what I am working on.

-Charley